Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Aug 21, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

Scotland Landlords - help required please

Can anyone point me in the direction for advice please?
Our tenants have been in for 18 years and moved out 4 weeks ago but the lease is up on 31/8/21.
The cottage is still a right mess. They have had a painter and joiner in doing work to reinstate various things as agreed with us but the place is filthy with stuff lying about everywhere. I doubt they will be able to get everything done to leave it in "tenentable condition" in 8 days.
We need to have an idea how to proceed if the work is not done.
Cheers
Mo
Old 23 Aug 21, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

If they have always paid and owe nothing I would say you are fairly lucky and wouldn’t be to concerned unless you are getting a big bill
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 21, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
If they have always paid and owe nothing I would say you are fairly lucky and wouldn’t be to concerned unless you are getting a big bill
Wow. I wasn't expecting that.
When my sons have had rentals we have always left the place clean and even so, the agents withheld deposits/ sent big bills for cleaning (which we always disputed and won).

Thanks for that insight.
Old 23 Aug 21, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
Wow. I wasn't expecting that.
When my sons have had rentals we have always left the place clean and even so, the agents withheld deposits/ sent big bills for cleaning (which we always disputed and won).

Thanks for that insight.
I might have worded it differently to the other poster but I think similarly.

In 18 years you haven't had any void periods or re tenanting fees and maybe no large refurb bills.

A landlord should really be expecting to have to totally refurb every 10-12 years and have new tenants every 3-4 (with the associated voids of about 2 months for each changeover)

You've been very lucky

Also they've been paying rent for 18 years, they've basically paid for the place for you (as most mortgages are 25 years).

The most you can do is with-hold the damage deposit which I'm guessing is about £100 given it was paid back in 2003
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 21, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

I totally agree with the other 2 replies, 18 years and now you have a clear up/redecorating to do. I personally wouldn’t complain. We have a flat and always have a bit of work to do after a 2/3 year rental. Do you have their deposit?
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 21, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

I don’t agree with the others. I think keeping a property clean to hand back us just showing manners and respect. However, having had rental properties myself I know that some people think nothing of living like a sloven and simply don’t care. To me it doesn’t matter whether they have been in 18 years or 18 months, you should still treat it with respect and keep it clean.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 21, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

We have their deposit. The agreement stated that they left it in tenantable condition which it isn't.
It's filthy and there are holes in plasterboard, graffiti on bedroom walls.
Maybe we have been lucky but it's still not been left in the condition it was supposed to have been.
Old 23 Aug 21, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

I presume you are a registered landlord and would point you in the direction of your councils landlord registration officer who should be able to provide you with advice.

However, from the sounds of it you’ve been quite lucky with your tenants if a good clean and a lick of paint is all that’s going to be required? You could withhold their deposit to cover those costs.
cheekydeeky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 21, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Totally agree with this.
The OP has been incredibly lucky to have had a good tenant for 18 years. This is incredible.
A bit of mess is a small price to pay for that.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 21, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I rent to students, and although I would like there to be no downtime between leases, there usually is and since there are always jobs to be done, it's an ideal time to do them. I am happy if I have 11 months rent from each flat.

OP have you got a new tenant lined up? - if so you are just going to have to negotiate their entry date, or ask if they are OK with work being done after they move in. If no tenant lined up, then I would still get on and advertise/ do viewings. Most prospective tenants would be happy if they knew a place was getting freshly decorated and repairs done.

It is a major pain when tenants leave your place in a heap, but renting to students I have low expectations and a robust deposit system in place.