Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 3 Dec 14, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We really like flying into miami. It is a nice airport, the savings are good and then we plan our stay around this fact.

For instance, on one occasion we took the Tamiani trail to Naples and stayed there before backtracking and taking an airboat ride. We then drove up past naples again to Venice where we stayed after visiting Casperson beach. Next day, we visited Busch Gardens at rope drop before staying the night nearby. Next day we visited legoland before finally arriving in Davenport that evening.

On our way back to Miami, we visited Kennedy Space Centre before staying the night at Cocoa Beach. We then drove down to our flight home the next day.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 14, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post

Flying in to MIA on the 22nd (BA early flight) so out by mid afternoon, Alamo express striaght out the garage and 3 hr drive over to Port Charlotte, be in villa just after 6pm (11pm UK) so dooable (subject to delays in good ol LHR due to wrong type of air or leaves on the path)
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 14, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
PerksP
Imagineer

We are flying into Miami in two weeks then jumping on an internal flight to MCO. Really easy and still cheaper than flying direct.
PerksP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 14, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi there,
I would say that if the price is right, its a no brainer, you can end up paying silly money just for the convenience of flying into orlando. If it gets you to Florida and then its a 3.5 hour drive to wdw , go for it and start to plan your fantastic holiday!
innit
Old 3 Dec 14, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post

I've heard Miami airport has improved recently but in my experience, having flown in and out of there countless times over the years, it is the airport from hell.

I have stood in immigration queues for three hours.
I have had my luggage go missing between flights.
I have had a camera stolen from a bag, between flights.
I have spent all day at the airport waiting for luggage that was loaded on and then unloaded due to a hurricane - that then "disappeared".
I have sought English speakers in vein.
I have met the rudest TSA staff known to man.
I have spent hours looking for a decent shop that sells anything other than those horrible coconut lime patties.

The list goes on.

I am really hoping things have improved because we're flying in there in May

We won't be driving up to Orlando though - will be staying with relatives in south Florida.
Old 3 Dec 14, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I had a nightmare with Miami. I won't go into the details but one thing I would say is leave yourself bags of time on the return trip from Orlando to miami.
Old 3 Dec 14, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post

Looking at our options and Miami is looking cheaper closely followed by Tampa for flights from London in October 15.
Are internal flights cheap from MIA TO MCO ?
I love driving in Florida so that's not a problem but adding a hotel for a night too probably equals out the saving!

But as lots of Dibbers say, it's not all about Orlando. And it would be nice to see more of Florida this time...
Old 4 Dec 14, 12:07 AM  
Link to this Post
ShenzyT
VIP Dibber

We went from Abz - Lhr - Mia in October - stayed the night at MIA hotel (which included b/fast)... and did the drive the following morning ... we picked up the car from Alamo at around 6am in the morning... the drive was fine - myself, DH, DD8, DS6 ... we got stuck in rush hour traffic on the way out of Miami - I would say it took us a good hour / hour & a half to get out of the Miami area... but once we got going the drive was fine. We took snacks for the kids & their Nintendo DS's ... they actually had a wee nap for half an hour. We stopped a Fort Pierce for toilet break and a snack ... then did the rest of the drive ...
We've booked again for October 2015 and are doing the same flight into Miami.
xxx
Nov 1998 - Quality Inn, Oct 1999 - AS Movies, Nov 2008 - AS Music, Sept 2009 - CBR, Oct 2010 - PORS, Oct 2012 - SSR, Oct 2014 - Emerald Island Resort, Oct 2015 - OKW, Oct 2016 - CBR, Oct 2017 - SSR, Oct 2018 - CBR & HGVCSW, Oct 2019 - AKL, Dec 2021 - Windsor Hills Resort, July 2022 - West Coast & DLC, July 2023 - PORS & Merritt Island
ShenzyT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 14, 01:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Watergirl
Imagineer

We have just flown into Miami. In Orlando now. We would never do it again, unless we had plans in that neck of the woods anyway.

Immigration had a line a mile long; its was horrendous and then systems went down, meaning an even longer wait.

Then there were lines to leave everything, including baggage. It was dire. On the plus side, the people were unbelievably helpful and friendly, including immigration.

I don't know if we were just lucky, but we met an employee there called Amelia and she seemed to take us under her wing - she was like a guardian angel! When our little boy got fed up, she rushed us to the front of the line. Then she noticed us about to get sent to another huge line to get out of the baggage area and walked us through the staff entrance, saying 'they're with me, let us through.'

Bizarrely enough she then saw us checking into the hotel airport (awful place! ) and got us upgraded as she used to work there. So kind.

The immigration guys asked us no probing questions, only chatted to our little boy and apologised for the delay. Then showed our little boy his scanner which had a green strobe light.

The airport hotel, despite the upgrade, was shockingly bad, but it was only a bed for the night. The Alamo car people were again lovely and helpful and rushed me through to the front (not sure why this kept happening!). The drive was long and boring, but easy.

Worldquest (Jun 2018), Villa (Nov/Dec 2016), Floridays (Nov/Dec 2014), Floridays (Dec 2013), SSR (2012), Homewood Suites, RPR, Siesta Key (2011), Point Orlando (2009), Wyndham Resort Palace & Spa (2005)
Watergirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 14, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Watergirl View Post
We have just flown into Miami. In Orlando now. We would never do it again, unless we had plans in that neck of the woods anyway.

Immigration had a line a mile long; its was horrendous and then systems went down, meaning an even longer wait.

Then there were lines to leave everything, including baggage. It was dire. On the plus side, the people were unbelievably helpful and friendly, including immigration.

I don't know if we were just lucky, but we met an employee there called Amelia and she seemed to take us under her wing - she was like a guardian angel! When our little boy got fed up, she rushed us to the front of the line. Then she noticed us about to get sent to another huge line to get out of the baggage area and walked us through the staff entrance, saying 'they're with me, let us through.'

Bizarrely enough she then saw us checking into the hotel airport (awful place! ) and got us upgraded as she used to work there. So kind.

The immigration guys asked us no probing questions, only chatted to our little boy and apologised for the delay. Then showed our little boy his scanner which had a green strobe light.

The airport hotel, despite the upgrade, was shockingly bad, but it was only a bed for the night. The Alamo car people were again lovely and helpful and rushed me through to the front (not sure why this kept happening!). The drive was long and boring, but easy.
I had heard staff in Miami have been having some, ahem, training before they caused a massive drop in tourist numbers to the State through sheer rudeness alone! Sounds like you REALLY got lucky with Amelia though - I don't think I've yet met anyone who worked at that airport who even managed to smile at us...
Closed Thread