Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Nov 20, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you for all your interesting comments.

He is a tiny cocker with a very narrow head but very intelligent. Personally I think he should have a job. He'd be a brilliant sniffer dog.

He's not mine so I can't let him off the lead and for the moment he's so hyper he can't meet other dogs or people.

I'm just wondering if there's some way I could introduce some mental exercise as some have suggested while in the garden or walking on the lead.

He's not interested in treats but I think he'd like to smell stuff and find things.

I'm going to take him on some different routes as well. He needs to practice waiting to cross the road.

What do people think about harnesses for cockers?

Last time we had a dog it was collar and lead and I'm sure they didn't pull as much with them.
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 20, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by sotagals View Post
Thank you for all your interesting comments.

He is a tiny cocker with a very narrow head but very intelligent. Personally I think he should have a job. He'd be a brilliant sniffer dog.

He's not mine so I can't let him off the lead and for the moment he's so hyper he can't meet other dogs or people.

I'm just wondering if there's some way I could introduce some mental exercise as some have suggested while in the garden or walking on the lead.

He's not interested in treats but I think he'd like to smell stuff and find things.

I'm going to take him on some different routes as well. He needs to practice waiting to cross the road.

Last time we had a dog it was collar and lead and I'm sure they didn't pull as much with them.
Harnesses encourage pulling. Train them to walk properly on a slip lead. Takes time but they are quick to learn.

Scent games are brilliant for them to play. Google Zac George training videos. He’s amazing.
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 20, 11:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

It it a working cocker? They’re very much in need of exercise compared to show cockers.
Not all Spaniels are the same. Our Cavalier King Charles is very much as active as we want - we can walk him for miles or let him curl up on our laps, he’s easy either way.

As for harnesses, they enable a dog to pull. You have less control over the dog with a harness. They’re used for huskies etc to pull a sled.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 20, 12:06 AM  
Link to this Post
shell22
VIP Dibber

I have 2 sprocker mum and son, the mum is ball mad but the son is a lot more sedate. Like others have said brain stimulation is as importantto tire them as physical exercise
shell22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 20, 12:41 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

My suggestion to solve all these doggy problems ?

Replace them with a couple of cats 🐈 🐈!
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 20, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We have a wee cocker. Vets think shes half working half show. Shes 4 now but folk still think shes a puppy. Shes a spinner and very vocal and hyper at times but shes ball mental and can be tired out thankfully. Shes also a bit bird daft so need to be careful where we let her off. You cam almost hear the cogs in her head turning all day so mental stimulation is super important. Most of all though shes a complete wee doll. Shes the baby and pretty needy but so so loving. Never met a dog so happy to wake up every day.
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 20, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sotagals View Post
Putting a harness on any dog that isn't already good on the lead is asking for trouble. It makes pulling easier, not harder.

If the dog isn't interested in treats then it's probably overfed...
Old 4 Nov 20, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Originally Posted by fl-veteran View Post
Putting a harness on any dog that isn't already good on the lead is asking for trouble. It makes pulling easier, not harder.

If the dog isn't interested in treats then it's probably overfed...
I genuinely am shocked when I hear a spaniel who is not interested in treats.
Could say that a dog who is overfed is greedy therefore would eat treats.

Mine would eat his dinner then mine if I let him then treats ...
Old 4 Nov 20, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

We had a welsh springer when I was a child and our dog now is springer x collie. I would say you need back to basics training in the garden. Find a tiny treat that he likes, and then learn the basics of coming when called, sit, stay, and walking at your side without a lead (I use 'with me' as the command). Then he'll be able to walk at your side while on a lead, and the rest of the stuff - stopping and sitting at the kerb etc is just building on the basics.

Our dog is very 'busy' and doesn't really go on walks as such. He always has something to carry in the house and often carries wood/stones/leaves outside. He's happiest if we're all outside doing something, and although we often can't see him he's never far away in the wood or hunting mice in the hedge - he's an amazing mouser. On the rare occasion that he's out all day, he sometimes gets tired enough to lay down for a minute or two, but then pings back into life and off again.

He has massive FOMO and sleeps on my feet in the house in case I try to go somewhere without him. He has started to calm down a little now though now that he's 8. I wouldn't recommend this cross as a house/pet dog, we're on a farm and although he lives in the house with us and all of his mud, stink and toys, outside is his happy place.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 20, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Actually, reading that again, I think you need to start with the neighbour putting the dog in the garden for a mad half hour, then bringing him in again and attaching a long lead before letting him out for you - keep as calm as you can and ignore him, turn your back until he's calm enough to deal with.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List