Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 Feb 18, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by missybpink View Post
im not a tight person, they wanted 11 euros each on the 2 flights i had with them it's not always just 3pp it cost me 66 in total for 2 short flights on a plane that was empty what got me was the response on twitter that got to me "Hi if you don't select reserved seats then it's likely your party will be split up" this tells me they do it on purpose.
I wasn’t meaning you were tight I just meant that I can be sometimes ! I agree with you, it’s a complete rip off. I don’t usually pay for seat bookings. I think airlines are doing it on purpose but I guess you pay your money and take your choice. Maybe the best way would be to advertise a fare and deduct a set amount if you don’t want a reserved seat rather than adding it to pay for one ( if you know what I mean !)
I don’t understand why with Virgin, BA etc people seem to accept paying to book seats but with the low cost airlines they don’t.

Edited at 02:09 PM.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 18, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post

I can remember the days when you couldn't pre-book seats, you were allocated them on check-in. There used to be very unhappy people those days too because no matter how you work it out it just isn't possible to seat everyone together. I can remember many times where passengers were kicking off because they couldn't be seated together and stewardesses going around the plane trying to accommodate them.

My husband and I used to arrive at the airports extra early to be among the first checking in so we could be seated together.

When I first heard about paying for seat allocation I thought it was a really good idea and I still do. It took a lot of stress out of the whole process for me.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 18, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Cuxi View Post
I can remember the days when you couldn't pre-book seats, you were allocated them on check-in. There used to be very unhappy people those days too because no matter how you work it out it just isn't possible to seat everyone together. I can remember many times where passengers were kicking off because they couldn't be seated together and stewardesses going around the plane trying to accommodate them.

My husband and I used to arrive at the airports extra early to be among the first checking in so we could be seated together.

When I first heard about paying for seat allocation I thought it was a really good idea and I still do. It took a lot of stress out of the whole process for me.
In the old days I arrived really early not necessarily to ensure we sat together but to make sure we avoided the smoking section! Unbelievable to think you could once smoke on a plane !
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 18, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
In the old days I arrived really early not necessarily to ensure we sat together but to make sure we avoided the smoking section! Unbelievable to think you could once smoke on a plane !
I had actually forgotten about that!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 18, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Mobile

I think the best method of seat selection I've encountered is with United - can see available seats and select seats (no charge) before paying for flights!

Never been a fan of paying for seat selection and have never done so for BA...
Old 4 Feb 18, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

I now pay for seats together after BA split us all up on the way home a few years ago. But I completely resent paying for it - you don’t book a meal in a restaurant and then have to pay extra to sit together. It’s just a money making scheme for airlines. With Ryanair, the price isn’t huge but when it’s £35 per seat per leg of the journey, it adds a lot to the cost.

People generally book in a group, so I don’t see why they can’t allocate seats in blocks - somewhat like Tetris. Then there would be odd seats left over for people on their own.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 18, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

You are assuming all passengers are all family groups and all book early. From the airline viewpoint these are the least loyal and the least profitable segment of a plane's occupancy. There is far less imperative to please them than the later booking, higher revenue business traveller who will have paid three times the cost and will travel several times a year so the airline actively seeks their loyalty ahead of the once a year or less traveller who will happily choose another carrier if it saves £10 a ticket.
If you were an airline whose business would you want to keep more and offer the best seats to rather than theleftovers as you suggest ?

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
I now pay for seats together after BA split us all up on the way home a few years ago. But I completely resent paying for it - you don’t book a meal in a restaurant and then have to pay extra to sit together. It’s just a money making scheme for airlines. With Ryanair, the price isn’t huge but when it’s £35 per seat per leg of the journey, it adds a lot to the cost.

People generally book in a group, so I don’t see why they can’t allocate seats in blocks - somewhat like Tetris. Then there would be odd seats left over for people on their own.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 18, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by sky13 View Post
I think the best method of seat selection I've encountered is with United - can see available seats and select seats (no charge) before paying for flights!

Never been a fan of paying for seat selection and have never done so for BA...
Strangely enough United is the only airline we have been split up on (twice ) - did pick our seats but got to check in and we were all moved as were a lot of other families. Haven’t paid for any of the others apart from easy jet but have never been split up.
Old 4 Feb 18, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
birdiesX4
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Am I missing something because I don't understand why you didn't each sit with a child?
On the virgin Atlantic trips we had 4 separate seats through the plane. We asked for two twos or a one and a three but were told there was nothing available so we all had to sit apart.
Our children didnt come on the other trips with easy jet and jet2 it was just the two of us.

Edited at 05:59 PM.
birdiesX4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 18, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Scott family
Apprentice Imagineer

Scott family's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Well, we are two adults and always pay to sit together. I'm a nervous flier and having DH there to talk to and handhold helps me get through the flight. Wish we didn't have to pay, but for us it's worth the additional cost.