Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 4 Aug 20, 06:49 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
Once again I want to say how awesome the dibb is! I’ve had points listed through David’s for ages but tried the Facebook link you guys posted on here - I had literally seven people wanting my points within minutes! (I was selling them cheap to be fair, but I was going to lose them by the end of November and £1200 in my pocket is better than no money for them at all!) - so grateful, thank you xx
Brilliant news, so pleased you've managed to rent them

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 20, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I think I’m cancelling my Xmas booking and booking a fully cancellable suite at Swan instead. I’m not convinced the trip will be on, and I’d rather bank the points than rent them out at low rates, whilst I still have chance to bank.
It seems points are going quick, but only if discounted heavily. Very unusual times, you usually see people snapping your hand off at $15 a point...
Old 4 Aug 20, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

If we had the chance to bank we would have been all over it. Already banked 200 in July, these were the 'developer points' from 2018 UY, so use them or lose them. Very annoying, we should have used them ourselves in May, then in Oct/Nov.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 20, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I think I’m cancelling my Xmas booking and booking a fully cancellable suite at Swan instead. I’m not convinced the trip will be on, and I’d rather bank the points than rent them out at low rates, whilst I still have chance to bank.
It seems points are going quick, but only if discounted heavily. Very unusual times, you usually see people snapping your hand off at $15 a point...
Are you feeling less optimistic now than a month or so ago? I’m going to have remembered your levels of confidence wrong but you thought Xmas was 50/50, Easter 70/30 (I may have those wrong!).

Amy great news you’ve rented your points! I need to decide whether to bank my Feb 2020 points or something else. Sigh.
Old 4 Aug 20, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
catlady
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
Mobile

Originally Posted by 2point View Post
If we had the chance to bank we would have been all over it. Already banked 200 in July, these were the 'developer points' from 2018 UY, so use them or lose them. Very annoying, we should have used them ourselves in May, then in Oct/Nov.
Same here! As dd was meant to be out there on the CRP we deliberately saved a lot of our 2018 points so we could go more! Cancelled the 2019 points and banked last day (31st july) but these end on the 30th Nov and nothing much can be done with them ☹
Old 4 Aug 20, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Are you feeling less optimistic now than a month or so ago? I’m going to have remembered your levels of confidence wrong but you thought Xmas was 50/50, Easter 70/30 (I may have those wrong!).

Amy great news you’ve rented your points! I need to decide whether to bank my Feb 2020 points or something else. Sigh.
I’m maybe a bit below 50/50 for Xmas now, having been in Tenerife and seen what they did there ridiculously.

I’m maybe 60/40 in favour for Easter.

Positively vaccine development has surpassed initial expectations and I’m now 90/10 for summer, before that was for Xmas 2021.
Old 4 Aug 20, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

I’m maybe a bit below 50/50 for Xmas now, having been in Tenerife and seen what they did there ridiculously.

I’m maybe 60/40 in favour for Easter.

Positively vaccine development has surpassed initial expectations and I’m now 90/10 for summer, before that was for Xmas 2021.
Fingers crossed for you YT

I know exactly what you mean about Tenerife - it didn’t make logical sense. It’s that lack of logical sense (or perhaps the fact that don’t always have time or inclination to work through the various scenarios?) which makes me doubtful of international travel in the near future.

I feel massively hugely positive about all the good vaccine news though! I’m clinging onto that for sure!
Old 4 Aug 20, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Just booked a suite at Swan- fully cancellable on Hotels.com for $2080 for 6 nights- not bad value, that includes everything but the rip off parking charge. This was so I can still go and get a decent room and bank my points for next year. I can cancel 5 days before no penalty. 1 day before and I lose the first night. My points I was using for the Boardwalk are in usual times worth more than that so if I bank them and rent them out it will cover the cost- would prefer to be in Boardwalk but this is at least no risk.
Old 4 Aug 20, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Just booked a suite at Swan- fully cancellable on Hotels.com for $2080 for 6 nights- not bad value, that includes everything but the rip off parking charge. This was so I can still go and get a decent room and bank my points for next year. I can cancel 5 days before no penalty. 1 day before and I lose the first night. My points I was using for the Boardwalk are in usual times worth more than that so if I bank them and rent them out it will cover the cost- would prefer to be in Boardwalk but this is at least no risk.
We spent NYE 2016/2017 at the Swan (five nights). I would have preferred to be in the BWV myself but we rented out a relatively small number of points which paid the Swan in entirety. I think it was about 65 points which covered the cost (resort fee on top). I could not have got anywhere near five nights at BWV for 65 points so it was a no brainer. We really appreciated the location and for the money we saved had no regrets whatsoever
Old 4 Aug 20, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
We spent NYE 2016/2017 at the Swan (five nights). I would have preferred to be in the BWV myself but we rented out a relatively small number of points which paid the Swan in entirety. I think it was about 65 points which covered the cost (resort fee on top). I could not have got anywhere near five nights at BWV for 65 points so it was a no brainer. We really appreciated the location and for the money we saved had no regrets whatsoever
Good to know thanks. We could have got a room for about $1200 on the AP discount deal, which isnt much cheaper than can be had through the likes of Rooms.com, but there were no suites on that and so we thought it worth an extra $500 for a suite with sofa bed and living room (we normally stay 1 beds DVC as you know). Then resort fees and charges on top (rip off but there you go).

Just reading Canary Islands are so hacked off with the precarious situation and the unjust nature of the quarantine on them, they are doubling down on looking at setting up their own airline so they can bring tourists in directly- won't happen for a while and they stated thinking about it after TC went bust. I think the hotels want to offer their own packages and not be beholden to anyone. Will be interested to see if they get it going and make it work.

Edited at 07:51 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List