Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 22 Apr 17, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Spirit of alpha & Mickey's back yard BBQ- DDP - a few questions please.

I would really love to see this show and dinner provided is just an added bonus lol but...
On the DDP what seating area do you get sat on? They go up in price but DDP is set credits so how does that work? I don't want to use 2 credits each and then the kids can't see.
I have also noticed that I can book Mickey's back yard BBQ, does weather effect this?
A big worry for me is weather, if there is a storm/lightening it will be cancelled (what about just rain?) at what point/how far in advance does it get cancelled? And what happens then? We have all our ADR's booked and most of them are completely booked up now so I could not swap etc
We would then be left with 2 credits each and no where to eat on that night.
I have booked a 5pm slot as we can't do late dinners with my youngest, is this likely to get cancelled, mid July? I know there is often afternoon down pours.
Would you book another ADR on the same day just in case? But I would only know if I need to cancel if it's lightening ?
has anyone had an experience of it cancelling?
Thanks for any info x
I personally would prefer spirit of aloha but kids will probably prefer BBQ? Anyone done both? Which is the best?
Thanks

Edited at 07:11 PM.
Floridatilly is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 17, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Hi. I don't know if Mickey's Back Yard BBQ gets cancelled due to inclement weather but Spirit of Aloha does. We arrived one year to be told it was cancelled. Massive pain as we were using Disney transport. It also caused issues with our credits as they showed as used for some reason. We got back to it the following year and I have to say I wish we hadn't bothered. Food was unpleasant and the show was meh. Family we shared the table with were unfortunately dreadful and we were sat near you cooking area and couldn't hear the show. However. The BBQ was the best night my DD had ever had at WDW. She is 15 now but when she was five she attended this dressed head to foot as Minnie Mouse who was her favourite. We got there first and ran to get benches next to the dance floor and she danced hand in hand with Minnie all night. She was in heaven. The food was basic there as well but more than edible BBQ. Lots of wine too 🙃🙃🙃
Old 22 Apr 17, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
Hi. I don't know if Mickey's Back Yard BBQ gets cancelled due to inclement weather but Spirit of Aloha does. We arrived one year to be told it was cancelled. Massive pain as we were using Disney transport. It also caused issues with our credits as they showed as used for some reason. We got back to it the following year and I have to say I wish we hadn't bothered. Food was unpleasant and the show was meh. Family we shared the table with were unfortunately dreadful and we were sat near you cooking area and couldn't hear the show. However. The BBQ was the best night my DD had ever had at WDW. She is 15 now but when she was five she attended this dressed head to foot as Minnie Mouse who was her favourite. We got there first and ran to get benches next to the dance floor and she danced hand in hand with Minnie all night. She was in heaven. The food was basic there as well but more than edible BBQ. Lots of wine too 🙃🙃🙃
This is my concern, so would you say BBQ one is worth 2 credits?
Floridatilly is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 17, 02:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Reereef
Imagineer

Reereef's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
I haven't been myself, but watched some best and worst videos which said that neither of these shows were worth 2 credits...but that Hoop dee doo was.
Reereef is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 17, 06:49 AM  
Link to this Post
ladyofleisure
Excited about Disney

I've been to Spirit of Aloha and Hoop, both booked at 180 days out in 2015. While I can't say it happens every time the seating was fantastic both times we visited Hoop we had a table right in front of the stage and my son was picked to take part in the show we were that close. The food was ok, we were there for the entertainment really we wouldn't have bothered going back but my 12 year old loved the audience interaction in Hoop and the fire dancers at Aloha so both are back on the list. We were seated centrally for Spirit of Aloha and even though I found it cheesy and preferred Hoop we had brilliant service both evenings
ladyofleisure is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 17, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
Yes if you've got a young child who will love the close contact and lengthy character interaction. No if not. It's worth hustling to get a table/bench right next to the dance floor if you're taking a little one who will want to join in.
scoobydooby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 17, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie Mum
Imagineer

Mobile

We enjoyed MBYBBQ. Kids loved it. 2 credits on ddp now get you tier 2 seating but if you arrive earlyish you will have no problem getting a seat near the front. We are doing again in Oct with our 4 and 9 year old.
Minnie Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 17, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

We did Spirit of Aloha last year.

The rain was coming down REALLY hard. We had to run down in the dark, and had never been before so didn't have a clue where we were running whilst the rain was hammering. We got our food, but we only got a very short 15 ish min show after we'd finished eating because the rain had slowed. It still cost us 2 table credits each... So basically, they don't cancel on you - you can sit there and eat and have no show because of the rain and still pay 2 credits.

We wouldn't do it again.
2022 - Margaritaville & RPR --- 2023 - Villa & RPR & Surfside
Shani is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 17, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post

We've done Backyard BBQ in 2007 and booked it again when we went back in Feb this year along with the Hoop De Doo. After doing the Hoop De Doo we decided we wanted to swap the Backyard BBQ as the food is similar and we werent that impressed with it. Luckily the night before the BBq we managed to swap for a ADR at the Spirit of Aloha and we all agreed it was one of the best ADR's of our trip good food and drink and we all enjoyed the show incl our kids DD 8 and DS 14.

If your on the dining plan then I would definatley go with the Spirit of Aloha, if our kids were younger then I think the BBQ is still great for characters but food isnt upto much.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List