Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Jan 20, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Garage conversion costs?

Hi

Has anyone converted a garage into living space? We are looking at moving and wondered roughly how much it would cost to get a garage door bricked up and window put in plus a radiator installed. The garage would already have power and we wouldnt be looking for a water supply. DH is a joiner and can do most of the internal work himself (looking to stud off a part at the back as a store room type area and have a snug in the rest). I've no idea if I'm looking at 10k, 20k or what so any experiences hugely welcome. Photos be lovely too!
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post

We used to have a huge double garage that we converted. I would not say into "living space", there are restrictions upon what you can convert into and bedrooms, living rooms definitely out of bounds without planning permission. We also could not have a water supply.

We converted the double garage into a home cinema, an office and we retained a portion for general storage.

I did a thread on it a while ago. We didn't do any of the work and it cost about £14k for all materials (including flooring, painting etc) and labour.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...e+conversi on
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
We used to have a huge double garage that we converted. I would not say into "living space", there are restrictions upon what you can convert into and bedrooms, living rooms definitely out of bounds without planning permission. We also could not have a water supply.

We converted the double garage into a home cinema, an office and we retained a portion for general storage.

I did a thread on it a while ago. We didn't do any of the work and it cost about £14k for all materials (including flooring, painting etc) and labour.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...e+conversi on
Hi there

I saw your thread, yours looked ace. Ours would be an integrated garage conversion so not sure if that makes any difference.
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

We did a conversion of an integrated garage about 8 years ago and had almost the opposite of you - my FIL was a brickie so he did that and then we had a builder do the rest.

My memory is that it cost us around 5k including plumbing and electrics. We needed planning permission as our permitted development rights had been removed, but we didn't need to pay for the application.
RachaelC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by RachaelC View Post
We did a conversion of an integrated garage about 8 years ago and had almost the opposite of you - my FIL was a brickie so he did that and then we had a builder do the rest.

My memory is that it cost us around 5k including plumbing and electrics. We needed planning permission as our permitted development rights had been removed, but we didn't need to pay for the application.
Fab thank you
Old 25 Jan 20, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Watching this as we are planning to convert our double integral garage into the kitchen diner/family room with a utility and replace the current 40 year old galley style kitchen! We also need to add an extension to replace the leaky conservatory so we have been quoted around £30-40k to do both.

That includes the getting rid of the existing conservatory, new extension, raising the floor throughout, windows and doors, either a flat roof with lantern or pitch roof with veluxes on the new bit, demolishing the adjoining wall to current conservatory, dry lining the garage area, plastering, new steels, stud wall to make utility, new garage doors, bricking up old garage door and making new entrance to back garden, making new doorway from house and leaving water and power ready to fit the kitchen. We will have to get building regs but don't need pp. We are using an architectural technician to do all the plans and do all the applications for us. We had planned to use him even before we knew the conservatory wasn't worth keeping as we have never done anything like this before!

Good luck with it all!

Edited at 10:32 PM.
parisdisneyfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

We had our integrated garage converted in October 2015. It cost about £10,000 including moving the c.h boiler and moving the gas meter (about £1000 each). It's been a great addition as the boys' games room.
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 06:34 AM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
We converted our attached garage into 2 bedrooms about 12 years ago (we live in a bungalow). Husband did the bulk of the work as he’s a carpenter. With the cost of the building regs, brickie, materials (insulation was expensive from what I remember), the electrician, plumber and plasterer - cost less than £5k. We knocked through off what was the dining room - it’s now the kids sitting room and gives them their own area in the house.
Old 26 Jan 20, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Thanks very much folks. Great to have a ballpark figure.
Old 26 Jan 20, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Fairysparkled
Excited about Disney

If you are not extending the floor space of the property you should not need planning permission and it can be done under permitted development. I would imagine your husband could fit the window himself. Also the stud work and plasterboarding, any doors that need hung, skirting. architrave. He could also do the labouring for the other trades. Buy the materials yourself and just pay for the labour. Should be nearer £5,000 than £10,000
Fairysparkled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List