Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Nov 21, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

DD is a Scottish primary school teacher, face masks are compulsory for all staff , teaching is still going on. Does Mason wear a mask if his teacher won't?. Take the matter further as there will be other vulnerable children in the school. DD says loads of children in school are off with positive tests but their siblings are still attending total madness.
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
This is a bit confusing, as you said that they phoned you to tell you that they ‘were full of a cold’. The further symptoms of cough, temperature etc all came out later in the thread. Did the headteacher specifically say these words?

The teacher has a cold, and so does an LFT to be able to go in and do her job, the job that she is paid to do, and the job that parents all round the country really need her to be doing. She has also contacted the school and asked for advice.

If she doesn’t have a new continuous cough, loss of taste and smell etc then the NHS isn’t asking her to get a PCR.

It’s very hard for you and Mason, but if all teachers with a cold this winter goes gets a PCR test and waits for a negative result before returning then how will the school be staffed
Old 10 Nov 21, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
sparrow
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
This is a bit confusing, as you said that they phoned you to tell you that they ‘were full of a cold’. The further symptoms of cough, temperature etc all came out later in the thread. Did the headteacher specifically say these words?

The teacher has a cold, and so does an LFT to be able to go in and do her job, the job that she is paid to do, and the job that parents all round the country really need her to be doing. She has also contacted the school and asked for advice.

If she doesn’t have a new continuous cough, loss of taste and smell etc then the NHS isn’t asking her to get a PCR.

It’s very hard for you and Mason, but if all teachers with a cold this winter goes gets a PCR test and waits for a negative result before returning then how will the school be staffed

I don’t think the blurred lines of whether the symptoms exactly match what you believe to be COVID should get in the way of a PCR test.

Edited at 04:39 PM.
sparrow is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Stella11
Getting Excited

Ive had a stinking cold all week. A sore throat, stuffy nose, 'phlegmmy' etc and i was coughing a little bit. Head felt full of cotton wool.

However, I had no temperature, I can taste and smell and my cough is not continuous. I would not be taking a PCR test for that. It is not recommended that I do if I am following the NHS advice to the letter.

Maybe, if I was a teacher with a vulnerable child in my class I might have taken one but then I might not be able to work until I receive the results. Is one supposed to self isolate following a PCR test?

You can only do what you think is right, I can see both sides. The school want to keep educating all the kids after a very disruptive year.

I bet there wont be a week in school between now and Spring-time that at least one person in that class (staff or kids) wont be infectious with something or other.
Stella11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by sparrow View Post

I don’t think the blurred lines of whether the symptoms exactly match what you believe to be COVID should get in the way of a PCR test.
I had a bad cold a couple of weeks ago. My symptoms were a runny stuffy nose and a sore throat which progressed into a chesty sporadic cough after a few days, but it always does as I am asthmatic.

My taste and smell were fine, I didn’t have a new continuous cough, or a temperature. I knew it to be a cold. I have not seen anything on that screen shot that suggests that I should have got a PCR. I didn’t go out as I work from home as I wasn’t well, but I believe that I had followed guidance.

I also had a chest infection reasonably recently. I phoned the doctors surgery for some medicine. They listened to my symptoms over the phone, and prescribed me some anti-biotics. I asked if I needed a test, they said no, I didn’t have Covid symptoms

Maybe clearer guidance is needed for everyone
Old 10 Nov 21, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
MillyMoo
Imagineer

Mobile

I think you absolutely did the right thing in taking Mason out, you can't risk him catching anything right now. I cant believe that they wouldn't even think about the teacher wearing a mask just while he was waiting to be collected!
MillyMoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
sparrow
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
I had a bad cold a couple of weeks ago. My symptoms were a runny stuffy nose and a sore throat which progressed into a chesty sporadic cough after a few days, but it always does as I am asthmatic.

My taste and smell were fine, I didn’t have a new continuous cough, or a temperature. I knew it to be a cold. I have not seen anything on that screen shot that suggests that I should have got a PCR. I didn’t go out as I work from home as I wasn’t well, but I believe that I had followed guidance.

I also had a chest infection reasonably recently. I phoned the doctors surgery for some medicine. They listened to my symptoms over the phone, and prescribed me some anti-biotics. I asked if I needed a test, they said no, I didn’t have Covid symptoms

Maybe clearer guidance is needed for everyone
We went to a 21st birthday party on 23th October. A few days later we were messaged by my cousin to say several people had had positive LFT tests. As myself and husband felt poorly we both took LFTs . My husband was convinced they were right. Both negative. A few days later I realised I couldn’t smell anything (still can’t) . My son started to feel unwell so he did an LFT. He had a very faint positive line. I should explain he didn’t go to the party. He had a PCR which came back positive. We couldn’t book PCR S for us as too many days had passed since days of symptoms started. I personally think the LFTs were inaccurate and we gave our son covid.
So I think a stricter approach to testing should definitely happen.
Old 10 Nov 21, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

I am a trustee of 9 schools we have processes in place in the event of a teacher being unwell or being required to take a PCR test and I have faith in these systems and know that people who really understand this have put them in place.

If this teacher under their rules does not need to have a PCR then that teacher should be in school teaching and keeping the class open for the 30 or so kids that are there.

What you may or may not have been told by the school office may or may not be the exact story in any event the school office telling you anything about the teachers health is breach of GDPR and information you are not entitled to. I assume that you have faith in the school or you would not be sending your son there.

I think that you need to let the school follow their procedures and you need to have faith in their procedures, if you dont there is a strong chance that you will be keeping you son at home more than he goes into school through the winter.

I dont believe that if a teacher felt that they were a risk to any pupil that they would be in the school and with our schools they are heavily on the side of caution, its also quite possible that this teacher has had a positive test in the last 90 days so a PCR is not required nor indeed possible.

I also assume that your son is wearing a mask and using gel regularly which will reduce his risk.

Edited at 05:32 PM.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

I sympathise as it is difficult for you with your DS.
Although looking from
another angle. Students could be full of cold with symptoms. We cannot expect students to miss any more schooling with a cold.
That’s the difficulty I’m afraid.😞
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by storm View Post
DD is a Scottish primary school teacher, face masks are compulsory for all staff , teaching is still going on. Does Mason wear a mask if his teacher won't?. Take the matter further as there will be other vulnerable children in the school. DD says loads of children in school are off with positive tests but their siblings are still attending total madness.
Individuals are not required to self-isolate if they live in the same household as someone with COVID-19, or are a close contact of someone with COVID-19, and any of the following apply:

they are fully vaccinated
they are below the age of 18 years and 6 months
they have taken part in or are currently part of an approved COVID-19 vaccine trial
they are not able to get vaccinated for medical reasons

gov.uk/government/public...ional-guidance
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List