Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 Jan 21, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
TBH, you cant compare investments to savings as they are totally different things.
Savings rates are poor - but not that bad compared with CPI. You carry inflation risk.
Investments - especially something like niche products like wine in this case carry huge investment risk as you can lose your capital as well and increase it.

The more risk you take, the better the rewards potentially; but also you can lose up to 100% of your investment.

A balance is a good target I guess.
I have a contract guaranteeing the return of my capital. We do have shares as well some doing well some not so. All rather boring though and not my selection.
The things is with such poor interest rates it's not much to lose if I keep my initial investment.

Edited at 02:56 PM.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 21, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

I have invested in all sorts of crap this year - Best Buy was max £50k in premium bonds (previously thought only Grannies did that lol but every month I have won and won well) and worst was shares in Capita, cost natural at the moment was pieces of art but with near negative interests in accounts its nothing but a game
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 21, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I have invested in all sorts of crap this year - Best Buy was max £50k in premium bonds (previously thought only Grannies did that lol but every month I have won and won well) and worst was shares in Capita, cost natural at the moment was pieces of art but with near negative interests in accounts its nothing but a game
Tesco have definitely been our best one this year, but how boring eh?
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 21, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
sunjue100
VIP Dibber

sunjue100's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Have just put £20k into premium bonds hope I have some luck
Old 1 Jan 21, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by sunjue100 View Post
Have just put £20k into premium bonds hope I have some luck
I have never had any luck there. Hope you do better.
Old 1 Jan 21, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Brennanhough
Excited about Disney

I started dabbling in shares during lockdown.

Put £500 into Bitcoin and soon turned that to £600. Took the £100 profit out and invested in some EV stocks which is now worth about £450.

Invested in a Chinese car company called NIO with an initial investment of about £350 at 6$ a share. Currently worth over 2k.

Done really well out of it and really enjoyed it. Worked all day on Wednesday and came home, did some trading and earned more than I had earned at work!

My initial thoughts were I would invest some and whatever I invested would be used as spending money for next years holiday. With NIO taking off and BA giving the holidays away when we booked, its actually paid for flights and hotel for our Orlando holiday - so far - next year!

I have had some losers too. But overall I am up roughly around 3k. Well worth doing in my opinion. Looked into Wine and Whiskey too - hope it pays off for you!

Edited at 03:13 PM.
Brennanhough is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 21, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

We did the same. Bought them in December 2019 and I only had two months where I won nothing last year. I have won £75 a month several times though and last month my husband won £150. There is also the excitement of the big prize win.

I don’t gamble - not even the lottery so this is as good as it gets for me.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 21, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I bought some Bitcoin less than a year ago, not much.
Sold it 2 days ago for 4x what Id paid.
Share trading is very risky though. I do not recommend it. I’ve been running a virtual account with 50k in it and have only made 1.5k in 4 months when the stock market has shot up. I’ve made much more in my professionally managed funds for my pension (I like looking at the funds and changing them around every so often).

Edited at 03:24 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 21, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
We did the same. Bought them in December 2019 and I only had two months where I won nothing last year. I have won £75 a month several times though and last month my husband won £150. There is also the excitement of the big prize win.

I don’t gamble - not even the lottery so this is as good as it gets for me.
Same here - I don’t gamble or do lottery (not even penny slots) but there hasn’t been a month where I haven’t won any less than 3x£75 and sometimes more ) - I check via my Alexa and it’s exciting to here her chime the prizes out
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 21, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
janeywaney
VIP Dibber

janeywaney's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
There was a chap on the news quite recently who had bought a bottle of Whiskey for his son’s birthday I think, or Christmas ever year. Can’t recall which occasion, but recently sold the collection for enough as a deposit for his sons first home.

Maybe alcohol is the way to go!

Be no good in our house lol, would be gone! 😂

Jane 😊
August 06 All Star Sports, August 07 All Star Music, OKW August 08 OKW Nov 09 All Star Music Feb 10, OKW Sept 10 OKW Sept 2011 , OKW Nov 2013, Pop Cenury Sept 2014, OKW Sept 2015, OKW Nov 16, OKW Sept 17, OKW Aug 19
janeywaney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List