Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 17 Jan 18, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post

Would my daughter qualify

Hi,
We've been before and this has caused us no end of difficulties
My daughter has damaged kidneys and bladder and is on constant medication. She gets little or no warning that she needs the toilet, so panics when asked to queue. She also has social anxiety issues which can lead to to manage situations.
Last time we kept having to leave the queues either because she needed the loo or because the situations were starting to escalate.
Help please as I would really like us to access the queues together and ride as a family.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 18, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Qualify for what Andy?

Old 18 Jan 18, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by andy002 View Post
Hi,
We've been before and this has caused us no end of difficulties
My daughter has damaged kidneys and bladder and is on constant medication. She gets little or no warning that she needs the toilet, so panics when asked to queue. She also has social anxiety issues which can lead to to manage situations.
Last time we kept having to leave the queues either because she needed the loo or because the situations were starting to escalate.
Help please as I would really like us to access the queues together and ride as a family.
Andy are you asking if your daughter would be eligible for the DAS card or similar in other parks? I think with what you've said then yes but because of disability laws in America you don't show medical proof of your daughters conditions it's down to you to say why your daughter would benefit from the system, not as daunting as it's sounds, we enquired for our youngest daughter who has autism and anxiety as well as joint hypermobility. We were only speaking to cast member a few short minutes and they were very helpful and issued her with this straight away. All the other parks do a similar scheme. We found in Disney we didn't use it much as fast pass was our friend and we used that for all the headliners, I think we only needed to use the DAS only a handful of times but when it was needed it was very much appreciated.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 18, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post

DAS card
Thanks
Old 18 Jan 18, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post

Two of my daughters have joint hypermobility too. They find it so painful.They've just started a course of physio to help stabilise them. I didn't think this would qualify as I thought they would suggest a wheelchair, though this would go against our physio advice.
Old 18 Jan 18, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by andy002 View Post
Two of my daughters have joint hypermobility too. They find it so painful.They've just started a course of physio to help stabilise them. I didn't think this would qualify as I thought they would suggest a wheelchair, though this would go against our physio advice.
We mentioned everything to the cast member we spoke too, it's discreet so you arnt broadcasting all your child's conditions, we mentioned her mobility issues as well as her autism and anxiety, they never mentioned at anytime about us using a wheelchair because that would be a big no-no for my little girl no matter how tired she felt, we just do things at her pace which in the heat suits us too
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 18, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post

Following this thread avidly, this is very handy to know. My daughter has recently been diagnosed with relapsing neuromuscular condition since our last visit and we are not sure how the heat will effect her ability to stand for long periods ... the heat may possibly trigger a relapse or tho I do really hope not!
Old 19 Jan 18, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Megandllsmum View Post
We mentioned everything to the cast member we spoke too, it's discreet so you arnt broadcasting all your child's conditions, we mentioned her mobility issues as well as her autism and anxiety, they never mentioned at anytime about us using a wheelchair because that would be a big no-no for my little girl no matter how tired she felt, we just do things at her pace which in the heat suits us too
It's difficult when my son had mobility problems he had no problem hopping into the wheelchair but I can really imagine that for a lot of kids it could be distressing to have to get into one or to feel different.

Just wanted to say that while 99% of cast members are nice be prepared for the odd one that doesn't quite believe you. When we had the chair there were no questions but when we didn't need to use it there were sometimes raised eyebrows and long return times put on the card. Unfair as many conditions are not visible.

We had the cards when we went and while not saving you any time for the most part they do save you stress and really help the holiday.