Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 Sep 17, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
dreamadream
Imagineer

This is just the dilemma I am now having. I have booked for NYC at Easter via norweign. When I booked I didn't bother with the extras including seat selection as just wanted a bargain (and at £1450 direct on the Dreamliner in the Easter holidays I was happy!) Today I am having second thoughts.

I popped onto their site and to add it is £200. I am in two minds as, well mainly I am a tight ≈≈≈≈ and this was meant to be a 'cheapy' trip as we have another big holiday booked.

Our kids are 11 and 15. On the one hand I think it's a big business route so lots of single travellers who may not of bothered with seat selection so norweign is likely to seat families together. But then it's good Friday so may be busy with holiday makers/those going home for Easter instead?!
dreamadream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 17, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Gilly120
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bluegirl5353 View Post
Hi Dibbers, please can anyone tell me if it is worth paying to have reserved seats? We're planning on flying Virgin Atlantic next Aug direct to Orlando and I'm trying to decide if its worth the money or whether we can wait and checkin online and still sit together. We will have 3 children with us. Thanks for any help!x
If you join virgin flying club you can book seats 72 hours in advance. We have never booked seats.
Old 19 Sep 17, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
churchy
Apprentice Imagineer

In 2016 we saw an irate man nearly arrested at the gate in Orlando. He was told by three gun toting police that he took the seats allocated and calmed down or they would arrest him and he would be going nowhere. He chose to calm down. Its a scam to make money as when you buy a ticket you should be allocated the seat there and then. The option is there if you pay so its clear they all banded together to think of other ways to screw us over. If you don't pay then chances are you will be split up.
churchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 17, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bluegirl5353 View Post
Hi Dibbers, please can anyone tell me if it is worth paying to have reserved seats? We're planning on flying Virgin Atlantic next Aug direct to Orlando and I'm trying to decide if its worth the money or whether we can wait and checkin online and still sit together. We will have 3 children with us. Thanks for any help!x
You will only know it was worth it, when you check in and you are split up.

If you are sat together you will equally know it was not worth it.

Crystal ball anyone?

Disney332
Old 19 Sep 17, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Starmum22
Imagineer

Mobile

I've never paid and we've always been together as a family of 6, 2a and 4c. That's long and short haul with numerous airlines. The only time we had a problem was when I was travelling on my old passport still in my maiden name and dh's cousin was on our flight and they thought she was in our party!
Old 19 Sep 17, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
dismadbrit
Imagineer

dismadbrit's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13
It's a gamble and you need to look at the odds.

It's a busy time to travel and many will have booked their seats so seats will be limited already.
If you are prepared to be split (kids in front/behind/across the aisle) then no don't pre book and hopefully you will be sat together, if being split will be an issue then pay.
We have never been split in all the years we have travelled but I consider us very lucky, lots haven't been so lucky.
If mine were small then yes I would pay and consider in the price of the holiday.
Old 19 Sep 17, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Depends on the cost for me.

2.50€ p.p. ryanair sure why not.

£30 Virgin hmm perhaps not.

My son is 12 though and with IFE I don't think it's an issue so would save £240 and take the risk.

Edited at 09:57 AM.
jas72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 17, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
red cuillen
Excited about Disney

This subject will probably become like threads on tipping! There is no reason why any airline - apart from the likes of Ryanair of course, that would want to DELIBERATELY split up your group. You buy a block of say 4 tickets for your family, the airline will allocate a block of 4, much easier than trying to find random seats. Problem now of course, many people make the choice to pay for seats that the airline has to allocate seats working around all those already 'reserved'. If no one paid, everyone would be seated in the groupings they bought their tickets. Never paid myself, never will, never been split up - so far! How many threads have you seen about people not getting the seats they thought they paid for? I wish no one would pay, but in this internet world, and with airlines finding new ways of getting us to pay for extras it's the way things are, so it's up to you I'm afraid!
red cuillen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List