Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 24 Nov 19, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
johnb
Imagineer

Slightly off topic, but I had to show a copy of my ESTA to Immigration officals in New York on arrival from a transatlantic cruise from Southampton.
johnb is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 19, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
jools1302
Apprentice Imagineer

jools1302's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

This happened to us in October this year flying out of Aberdeen. The system said we had no ESTA’s... oh yes we do I say and get out my document wallet to show her the printed Paperwork... they weren’t there... to say I felt sick is an understatement! 🤮🤮
We know we printed them... we had every other piece if paper that we might ever need... but no ESTA.
My husband fortunately found our confirmation email on his phone and they were happy to accept the information on there... such a stressful start to the holiday
Old 24 Nov 19, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Rotonda Bound
slightly serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 4
Originally Posted by johnb View Post
Slightly off topic, but I had to show a copy of my ESTA to Immigration officals in New York on arrival from a transatlantic cruise from Southampton.
We had something similar. Had been in Florida for a month and was about to board a cruise from Miami. We were asked for our esta copies while checking in and didn't have a paper copy.

I pointed that we had already been admitted to the US 4weeks before but he wasn't for budging. No esta, no boarding!
There were a few worrying minutes with a jobsworthy at check in before I asked for a manager to attend. He went off with our passports and came back saying all was well and enjoy the cruise.
Will always take a print out with me from now on 😎

Dragonflies Villa ... close to stunning Gulf Coast beaches.
The ideal place to relax and unwind

Rotonda Bound is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 19, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
johnb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rotonda Bound View Post
I pointed that we had already been admitted to the US 4weeks before but he wasn't for budging. No esta, no boarding!
I think the problem is that the cruise would be returning to the US and the cruise line would want to make sure that you had a valid ESTA for the return date.
I also had to show a copy of my ESTA when joining the cruise at Southampton, and it had to be valid for the date of arrival into the US.
johnb is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 19, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

We flew hand luggage last year and did online check in. We had boarding passes but our ESTAs were checked at the gate as we boarded. We saw no one official until 5 minutes before we were sat on the plane.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 19, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
We flew hand luggage last year and did online check in. We had boarding passes but our ESTAs were checked at the gate as we boarded. We saw no one official until 5 minutes before we were sat on the plane.
If you didn’t have a current ESTA surely OLCI wouldn’t work, so as your check in did work then it would suggest you did have a valid ESTA .
( or possibly I’m totally wrong)
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 19, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
corrinda
Imagineer

I’m having a nightmare just to,get a esta done link on dibb giving error and then when I get on its asking for a code which I never heard of to verify email which it dosent send you
corrinda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 19, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
If you didn’t have a current ESTA surely OLCI wouldn’t work, so as your check in did work then it would suggest you did have a valid ESTA .
( or possibly I’m totally wrong)
I agree but the airline have to do their check which they did as we boarded. Something flashed on the screen and they asked us for our passports which most other passengers were not asked for.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 19, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
priceclan
Getting Excited

Corrinda...esta.cbp.dhs.gov/

Correct link. Don’t use others unless you want to pay for their services.

Edited at 09:04 PM.
priceclan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 19, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
Similarly, if you have been selected for extra security checks at the boarding gate, it will check you in, but not issue a boarding pass - you have to collect this from the check-in desk when you drop your bag(s).
Not always... if someone has checked in online they could still have a boarding pass and then get selected for secondary screening afterwards, they then get a long beep at the gate scanner and get checked then. Secondary screening always happens at the gate, not check in.

Edited at 09:41 PM.
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List