Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 15 Apr 17, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
AlisonB
Imagineer

I can understand the upset totally - my girls have been treated differently over the years. In fact in 2016, oldest DD didn't even get a birthday present at all from her grandmother! However, they learned to thank the gift giver for the present and then have a moan/rant when they get home and we discussed it as a family. Sometimes there were reasons - sometimes not. They are older now so it's not an issue, but it could have been difficult when they were younger.
OP - has your son been treated differently before or is this the first time? If the grandparents have always given different amounts then they were probably bemused as to why this caused such a problem this time.
It's possibly worth having a quiet chat with your son about how best to react if this happens again. And maybe your OH could have a chat with his mum and dad about how you would prefer the kids were treated the same?
AlisonB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 17, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
suziwong_96
Serious Dibber

I have just explained to my 3 year old who was given a creme egg by a lady in a local coffee shop, he does not like creme eggs and was about to tell us all. We managed a quick thank you, I had to explain that we always say thank you and not tell the kind person that we don't really like as it might make them a bit sad,.. he is 3 but needs to learn the basics! I understand the perceived unfairness but really I'm sure it was really simply that older teenagers need more cash and he would maybe receive the same in 10years!
suziwong_96 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 17, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
bigseve
Imagineer

Originally Posted by honeymoon_2012 View Post
As a mother and a teacher I am shocked that a 7 year old is encouraged to be so ungrateful. From a very young age my daughter has been taught to smile and say thank you regardless of what she is given as it's the thought that counts. Personally I would have made my daughter return the gift, apologise and leave the room until she has learnt to respect others feelings. I'd hate to see your son on his birthday if he got a toy he didn't think was good enough or 'worth enough money'
Agree with this. Not convinced it's the grandparents behaving like children either after reading the last few sentences of the original post a couple of times.
bigseve is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 17, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Eden
Very Serious Dibber

No, it's not fair, but I would of been mortified if my child had reacted and told the gift giver it wasn't fair and kicked up a fuss in front of them
I would probably given them the extra £7 myself (once we were home) and asked them to share the mini eggs with siblings
I would of thanked them for acting grown up about it and rewarded by topping up the money.
My DD is 7 and no way would she EVER of reacted like that!

My grandparents bought my 3 children an egg, the elder 2 have a much larger egg than the 2.5 yr old, I wouldn't be asking them to make up the price in cash as hers was cheaper.
2019 - Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort
2024 - Clearwater/Orlando/Cheerleading Competition!
Eden is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 17, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post

Lunch shouldnt be that awkward tomorrow

just dish up everyones meal as normal, then dish up grandparents meal really small

If they ask why, just tell them you couldnt afford for them to all have big portions

job done
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 17, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

As the OP has not responded to any of the comments I am beginning to wonder if this was a fake post too !
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 17, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
The Grandparents should of given all the kids £5, kids always feel hard done by if siblings get more than them regardless of age. Like I said before mine wpuld be polite and moaned how unfair it was when we got home. The Grandparents behaved badly and handled to situation poorly too, tell your son say thank you in future and sort it out at home, I would then get him to do a few jobs and then give him £5 for his hard work!
Old 15 Apr 17, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Darthmickey
Getting Excited

Mobile

Sometimes you win sometimes you lose. But a gift is a gift, you skins worse than your son no wonder he threw a tantrum at his grandparents... where's the respect?
Darthmickey is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 17, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post

I remember years ago I was about 10yrs, the lady next door gave my sister about 7yrs a beautiful Easter egg. I can still feel the hurt today but said nothing. Later my step father said that she probably though I was too old but for Christmas that year he bought me an amazing chocolate scotty dog.
Sorry, I too think your son was a brat, I'd have had such good hiding
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 17, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Sweets
like a dog with a bone

Mobile

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
As the OP has not responded to any of the comments I am beginning to wonder if this was a fake post too !
Or maybe they don't want to come back to the backlash and judgement. And I don't blame them.

Really dislike threads like this and the tone of some of the responses.

Port Orleans Riverside ~ Oct 2012
Hard Rock Hotel (no Disney!) ~ Aug 2016
New York, Sheraton NY Times Square ~ Feb 2017
Santorini, Dana Villas ~ Aug 2017
Yacht Club ~ Sept 2018
Caribbean Cruise, P&O ~ Mar 2019
Caribbean Beach Resort ~ May 2022 & May 2023
Drury Plaza (first adults only trip!) ~ Aug 2024

Sweets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread