Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 5 Jun 18, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mosquitos

May. Mosquito season or too soon. I’m never bitten, here in my dark corner of Spain we have them, but my daughter seems to be dessert when she visits.

We are at POR next May. Any idea of levels. and recommended deterrents

Thanks
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 18, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Jo
Imagineer

Not sure on levels I am afraid, but deterrent I can help with. Last August my husband got mosquito bands from amazon, they look like coloured hairbands and we wore one on a wrist or ankle. The only time I got bitten was when we went to IOA and forgot to put it on! Typical.

We do use Jungle Formula as well sometimes (can be brought in superdrug, boots etc).
August 2018 - Villa at Oak Island Community
December 2021 - Art of Animation Cars Suite
Disney Jo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 18, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
VS075
Serious Dibber

We stayed on site at Universal last month and didn't get a single bite, nor have I ever and I've visited at different times of years. We never use spray or bands in Orlando.

On our coach transfer (as we had the 'delight' of flying TUI...) they were selling bands making out there would be mosquitoes everywhere - glad we didn't cave to their sales techniques.
My experience on US borders opening day: https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1207820
VS075 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 18, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Gipsy 4
slightly serious Dibber

Gipsy 4's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Mobile

I’ve been bitten last night watching Fantasmic. A friend was bitten a couple of times last week around Disney. I noticed they had mosquito repellent available for guests at the mini golf by Blizzard Beach.
Gipsy 4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 18, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

We used to go in May for years and the only time we had issues with mosquitoes was sat by the lake at what is now Disney Springs...

Edited at 02:33 PM.
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 18, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Thanks for responses
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 18, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

Mobile

Usually in the Caribbean/Europe etc I'm a magnet but never been bitten in Florida and I don't use anything 🤔
Old 5 Jun 18, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I have been there every month between January (late) and Sept (early). I have never been bitten and neither has my wife.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 18, 02:21 AM  
Link to this Post
SimplyDisney
Excited about Disney

We normally go in Sept/Oct and have never had any bites. This year we were there for 3 weeks and my wife and kids both got bitten in Grand Floridian. Front desk said they have a mosquito problem due to Seven Seas Lagoon being a body of water and the outer buildings being located on the water.
SimplyDisney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 18, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

I got bitten in May this year, a couple of days after the heavy rain subsided. There were warnings on tv about it, telling people to empty the rainwater out of children's outdoor toys etc rather than leave it standing. There are always people on this type of thread who will tell you they've been to Florida x million times and never been bitten.
I've been going since 1989 and I've been bitten pretty much every time. While Disney take measures to keep the mossie population down, they aren't failsafe. They have stuff in the parks you can apply but if you are susceptible, you probably will get bitten, especially during the wet season.