Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Apr 21, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
ncmurray
Imagineer

Advice for hikers, please :)

During lockdown, my son has taken to making long walks through the countryside, sometimes up to 20 km.

He has no special gear, so I was looking for some advice on what he should get, as he wants to get a bit more serious about walking and climbing.

What sort of shoes in particular, should he get? Is there any other sort of equipment he would need?

Thank you all
Old 23 Apr 21, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
quiddity
Apprentice Imagineer

quiddity's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Shoes are an individual one. They HAVE to be a good fit for your feet. Goto a proper hiking shoe to get fitted. Also go after being out all day & with walking socks on.

Decathlon have a really good range which is fantastic value for money. I subscribe to country walking magazine (well worth a read!) where they always come out well
7/2/12-9/2/12 cheyenne DLP for 1st time!
28/09/12-12/10/12 clarion inn LBV again again!
quiddity is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 21, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I’ve used North Face walking shoes for years now. I find them really comfy, supportive and tough. Got fitted at Snow and Rock. Definitely wear the socks you intend to wear walking to get accurate fit. Having the right equipment is vital when hiking and makes it much more enjoyable.
Old 23 Apr 21, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
ncmurray
Imagineer

Thank you for that, quiddity. I now have somewhere to start
Old 23 Apr 21, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

I would buy him a compass too
Invaluable when you get lost
2000 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2002 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2003 - Caribbean Beach. 2004 - Forgot where we stayed. 2008 - Pop Century. 2012 - Disneyland Paris for the day. 2015 - Contemporary Resort - 7 days, POFQ - 3 days. 2016 Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea. 2018 Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge
kevin_cambs_uk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 21, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

Definitely a good pair of walking boots. When DS1 was in Scouts the leader wouldn’t take them out without good quality kit. 20 years later he’s still using it.
Old 23 Apr 21, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Shutterbug
Excited about Disney

Good quality socks help a lot, even as a regular walker with broken in boots, sometimes you can still get a blister. We like smartwool socks, not cheap but worth investing in good socks.
Shutterbug is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 21, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ncmurray View Post
During lockdown, my son has taken to making long walks through the countryside, sometimes up to 20 km.

He has no special gear, so I was looking for some advice on what he should get, as he wants to get a bit more serious about walking and climbing.

What sort of shoes in particular, should he get? Is there any other sort of equipment he would need?

Thank you all

Being dry is the main one if he is to be out in all weather
Good walking boots that are waterproof and a good breathable waterproof jacket
I have scarpa boots and a 3/4 length paramo jacket which have both been great
Some people like a good light weight stick for hill climbs
A day rucksack that is away from your back and has a waist strap would also be good if he’s out longer
Old 23 Apr 21, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
force ten
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
layers, base layer, mid layer, and a top layer so when you get warm you can remove layers, or add layers if you get cold, light weight tech fabric tops and fleece layers

Walking Trousers, zip-off trousers, or shorts

Socks come in different weights and thicknesses depending on what you are doing and what boots you are wearing for most occasions l wear a lightweight liner sock and a mid weight outer sock

Walking Boots this is where you can spend a lot of money but many people go over the top and buy full on heavy leather boots that can sometimes be hard to get on with, l like a light weight sturdy Gortex lined waterproof walking boot, l had a pair of north face boots but am now wearing Lowa boots, just make sure the boots fit well and are comfortable and break your boots in gradually before using them on a long walk

a fully charged phone

25-30 litre day pack

waterproof jacket and leggings, hat and gloves, even in the summer it can get cold in the mountains

Maps l still have and use paper maps from the OS Explorer Series and Compass but many now use map apps on phones and hand held GPS map tech

small first aid kit, even if it is just blister plasters

a head torch

Food and snacks oat bars and fruit

water and drinks l have a small flask for a warm drink and a water bottle

you could carry more it but for me that tends to be the basics
force ten is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 21, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Double layer socks are good. We take protein bars, salty snacks, and hydration tablets to dissolve in water on a long bike ride or hike .
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List