Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 Jun 21, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
clairenutter
Apprentice Imagineer

Favourite travel agent?

Hi,

Just looking for some advice. Who do you book your trip via? Can you recommend a good travel agent. Looking to price a trip as soon as I can. I am thinking 2023 so I am a big bit ahead of myself. Just trying to get a gel for the cost and give myself something to look forward to. Starting to feel a little fed up and need a glimpse of hope that I will get back to the magic sometime. Even if it is ages away.

Thank you for any advice

Claire
clairenutter is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 21, 06:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Bondy007
Imagineer

You’ll get many different responses to this question... Everyone has very different views...
I’m in the book direct with Disney camp if on-site, for a hotel and ticket package. Then shop around for either flight only or flydrive with whoever comes up with a price you’re happy with.
I’m booked with Virgin for 2022 as I was very pleased with the price - I’ll be reporting back on my experience after we’ve been! 😉
In the past we’ve flown with BA without any issues and booked everything separately. The only agents we’ve used in the past have been Thomas Cook, Travel City Direct and First Choice...!
Old 4 Jun 21, 06:56 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Having observed the debacle of refunds (or not), flagrant law breaking, excuses and blatant lie telling that occurred in the months between March and August, I will never again entrust my money to any travel agent unless I am visiting a nation where it is unavoidable.

I would sooner spread out my purchases amongst airlines (certain ones only), direct hotel contacts (or those search engines that refunded me immediately), and car hire companies… Spread betting if you like, and direct with the actual companies involved wherever possible.

To me, the travel agent business is mortally wounded and I will try my hardest to avoid all of them.

Many (DIBBERS and others) used to preach about the security that a travel agent provided for your money in the event of failure. Time has proved this a myth, ABTA a sham and that your money is actually better protected by cutting them out completely (whilst using a decent credit card of course for S75 protection/charge back).

There are some airlines and companies that I will never, ever entrust money to again.

Sad, but true.

I would add that I was already an ardent multi city/DIY Booker before this farce and that I easily recouped all of my money in both March and August of last year (35 separate transactions and only two chargebacks required), whilst I observed others floundering against a wall of obfuscation and deceit.
Every company is no doubt decent when all is fine and dandy. It is when problems occur that a company shows its true mettle.. or otherwise! It no doubt surprised many DIBBERS as to which companies behaved promptly and lawfully.. and more so, certain ones that they swear by that were lamentable, whilst shamelessly breaking law that was drawn up to protect the public.. (us).

Straight question.. straight answer, namely none of them..

Edited at 07:14 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 21, 06:58 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Though the years I used them all I started with Thompson’s which became lum polly which we all so used then tui which we usesd all ok you get what you pay for and the after care was brilliant as we did have one or two problems but never mind. I all so booked with Virgin which where fine. We booked with Hays travel which are fine for our holiday meant to be last year but was cancelled so American Airtours who they used bchanged it to this year and as we decided to go next year they changed it again no charge.
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 21, 07:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Bondy007
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I will never again entrust my money to any travel agent unless I am visiting a nation where it is unavoidable.

I would sooner spread out my purchases amongst airlines (certain ones only), direct hotel contacts (or those search engines that refunded me immediately), and car hire companies… Spread betting if you like, and direct with the actual companies involved wherever possible.

To me, the travel agent business is mortally wounded and I will try my hardest to avoid all of them.
Agreed. DIY and plenty of research is the way to go.
Old 4 Jun 21, 07:10 AM  
Link to this Post
tracey1302
Imagineer

tracey1302's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Either Walt Disney World Travel Company or Ascot Travel. For our 2023 holiday, I’ll also be getting a quote from Ever After Holidays as I’ve heard great things.
tracey1302 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 21, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoguy
Imagineer

I never use travel agents I don’t see the point in using them. I always book direct with airlines and hotels and get my park tickets direct from Disney and universal
Orlandoguy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 21, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

As an ex travel agent most I wouldn’t touch with a barge pole but I’ve had incredible service from Ever After Holidays. They know their stuff, give personal service and you get to speak to the same people, not a different one every time .
If you don’t want to DIY they are a very good option.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 21, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

I've used ATD in the past for onsite Disney stays, cheaper than direct and couldn't fault their service.

This time, perhaps against my better judgement, I booked the hotel (Cabana Bay) through Virgin, as they have lots of additional benefits and the price was unbeatable.

Usually do a BA flydrive for flights and car - they are usually cheapest for car and include second driver for free as part of Exec club, plus all insurances, etc.

Would never do everything with just one agent, as I can always get a better price booking the parts individually. Even when we had a trip to China booked through a travel agent I insisted on booking the flights myself, and was glad I did.

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding

Edited at 09:27 AM.
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 21, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

My favourite travel agent is me.

I might involve a proper agent if I were doing a complicated trip involving canoeing down the Amazon or a hunt for lost rainforest tribes. But for most trips, I book hotels with the hotel and flights with an airline. I do use WDTC, which is technically an agent but is as near to direct as you can get with a Disney resort booking.
Claudette is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List