Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Jan 19, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Get yourself a blooming private lesson woman! Or join the Club Ski over 3 days. They're amazing group lessons.
Don't waste any more of your holiday worrying.

There are some tricky runs there plus some outstanding ones.

We've skiid there loads and it's awesome and awful at times 😉

We ski-ed Breckenridge and even though I was pretty good I couldn't even put a turn together the whole holiday so I know exactly how you feel!

Good luck xxx

Edited at 11:16 PM.
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
borntoshop
Imagineer

Mobile

I've been on I think 5 skiing holidays now and the best I can do is really the beginners slopes. I once went to the top and was rescued by a snow mobile half way down and then it had to go back for son who'd tried to help me and then couldn't get his ski back on.

Last time I went with dh there wasn't much snow but he went skiing and I went shopping and we went tubing together.

Despite numerous lessons over the years I'm never going to be good but now due to having a bad back for 6 months the ski kit is up for sale.
Nov/Dec 03-Orlando Villa/DLP Sept 04-Greece Nov/Dec 05-Orlando Villa 2007-New Hampshire ski-ing Orlando BWL & Villa 25 Dec 08 Florida New York 2010 New Hampshire 2011 New Hampshire 2012 Florida 2013 North Conway Christmas 2014
borntoshop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 11:57 PM  
Link to this Post
corey1
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I know where you are coming from. The first time I went skiing I had 2 days lessons booked. We were there as a group of about 12. The first day wasn't too bad but I do think I overdid it. Second day I didn't really want to be there. We went up a novice slope and all had to ski down so we could be sorted into groups. Everyone went except me and I stood rooted to the spot and couldn't move and burst into tears. The Instructor had to come and help me down. However the instructor was brilliant and patient and by end of the day I was skiing adequately and and actually quite enjoying it. It may be worth booking a lesson to build your confidence but I wouldn't push yourself if you don't really want to do it.
corey1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
borntoshop
Imagineer

Mobile

I forgot to say I've even knocked the ski instructor over. She was skiing in front going backwards with me following but I couldn't stop and knocked her flying.
Nov/Dec 03-Orlando Villa/DLP Sept 04-Greece Nov/Dec 05-Orlando Villa 2007-New Hampshire ski-ing Orlando BWL & Villa 25 Dec 08 Florida New York 2010 New Hampshire 2011 New Hampshire 2012 Florida 2013 North Conway Christmas 2014
borntoshop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 01:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Dougie
Imagineer

Dougie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Don't beat yourself up about it. If you want a lesson or two then do but make sure you do it for you and not your husband. He has your brother to go with, you do what you want.

I know it's different but my best mate and I have been to Florida loads of times, she doesn't like roller coasters and will not go on them. I enjoy going on them so, we have a great system where she holds my bag and I run off and do them. She would never moan if she has to wait for me if a ride is busy and I would never make her go on one. It's all about compromise.

Banff is THE MOST BEAUTIFUL place I have ever visited, enjoy exploring whilst the others are skiing.

Have a great time - whatever you decide to do.
Dougie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 02:28 AM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by katiec68 View Post
Get yourself a blooming private lesson woman! Or join the Club Ski over 3 days. They're amazing group lessons.
Don't waste any more of your holiday worrying.

There are some tricky runs there plus some outstanding ones.

We've skiid there loads and it's awesome and awful at times 😉

We ski-ed Breckenridge and even though I was pretty good I couldn't even put a turn together the whole holiday so I know exactly how you feel!

Good luck xxx
I’ve booked a lesson tomorrow for Sunshine. As a Banff expert, can you suggest which are the flattest green runs? It’s the sight of a gradient which is causing me to have conniptions (though I accept they’re nothing like the runs you see at the top of the mountains!)

Originally Posted by borntoshop View Post
I forgot to say I've even knocked the ski instructor over. She was skiing in front going backwards with me following but I couldn't stop and knocked her flying.
I’ve done that before
Old 14 Jan 19, 02:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Kate skiing is the only sport I enjoy DH hates it but loves every other sport
We comprise I'm happy to be a golf widow here in Florida and he's
Happy to spend time reading listing to music etc when I'm skiing and I'm rubbish
After 36 years of marriage we compromise we both love Florida for different reasons he's a roller coaster junkie I've done them all
Most just once is enough
No way would Ian expect me to do something that caused me anxiety
But I wouldn't stop,him doing something he loves we just find a mid point we can share be it a snowball fight and hot choclate with brandy
Lunch after the golf or suffering all the Harry Potter rides yet again
Or walking the dogs adults evening swimming etc marriage is give and take but no way should either partner feel out of their depth
Our different take on life is what makes us stronger and better as a couple
PS and as MR T says DH is an accountant I was a nurse and a florist I wouldn't let him put on an elaoslast and me he'd die if I tried to balance our monthly expenditure each to there own
PS 2 it doesn't help Kate when in our working life
We have to be in control in my uniform nothing phased me out of uniform I'm just me get used to,it folks

Edited at 02:42 AM.
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 03:33 AM  
Link to this Post
anneeb
Apprentice Imagineer

My OH and son can ski easily, I can do it if there is only a slight gradient, preferably flat. I get very nervous of anything with a gradient.
We went skiing at a local artificial ski slope years ago, I was on the lower part of the slope and was struggling, my OH said that he would go up the slope a bit then come down to me. I saw him set off from the side of the slope, as I was looking up my skis started to move and couldn't stop myself, I ended up going down the slope backwards with no sign of my OH who had decided to go to the top. I looked behind me and saw a fence looming up, decided that I had to break myself and so sort of threw myself sideways, I had bruises for ages afterwards.
The next time that I went skiing was in Scotland, okay the first day on a very slight slope, the second day I managed to break my little finger fastening the buckle on my boots
I haven't bothered since then, even though my OH has mentioned me having lessons
anneeb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

Get yourself some lessons if you want to ski, if your husband is so good at it why doesn't he help you?
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by ziggyzag View Post
Get yourself some lessons if you want to ski, if your husband is so good at it why doesn't he help you?
Because it doesn't work like that with skiing unfortunately.

You need an instructor to spot the difficulties and teach you correct them - other skiiers will just say "do it like this' without knowing HOW you actually do it.
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List