Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 21 Oct 08, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post

The Heggies Hawaiian Adventure-Day Three

Day Three

The alarm was set for 7.30, but I woke at 5am. I ended up getting up at 6 and managed to get a shower and dry my hair without DH waking up. He slept till the alarm went off. He got ready then we ate the piece of Carrot Cake cheesecake from last night & also a slice of crème brulee bar that id bought yesterday. We shared a bottle of fresh orange juice as well.

At 8.30 we got the California cable car down to Powell, then the Powell-Mason cable car down to Fisherman’s Wharf. We’ve a trip to Alcatraz booked for 10am, we were still a bit early so we went to Pier 39 to see the sea-lions. A lot of them were still asleep & they absolutely stank.

After a while we walked to Pier 33 for our Alcatraz trip. I exchanged our vouchers for tickets then we queued for the 10am boat.

The boat takes 12 minutes to get to Alcatraz. Once we arrived there was a 5 minute talk about what options there is, you can watch a mini documentary about Alcatraz first but we decided not to bother and walked up to the cell house. We picked up headphones for the audio tour. This was great, it took us all around the cells, the dining room & kitchen, warden control room, the library & solitary confinement cells. There were cells that had holes in the back wall where prisoners have tried to escape.

Also in front of the prison there are houses for Wardens & their families.

A worker told us that a few weeks back a woman who grew up on Alcatraz came back & done the tour-she said she has great memories of growing up on Alcatraz & getting the boat to school & back every day! After the audio tour we had a walk around the outside of the prison. I kept looking over to the city & thinking it doesn’t look that far to swim-its only 1 ¼ miles-but obviously for many it was! We’d been told earlier that in the bookstore today there was an ex-inmate, he’s one of only five surviving inmates, but when we went there was no sign of him. We bought a few souvenirs then waited for the return boat. The boat runs every 30 minutes.

Edited at 05:37 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 08, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Once we returned to the city we walked along Fisherman’s Wharf & bought pens, key-rings & fridge magnets. We were getting a bit hungry now so we went to Boudin Bakery for lunch.

We found a table outside, I had a California veggie sandwich & DH had Clam Chowder in a sourdough bread bowl. We had water & fresh orange, it cost $22.

After lunch we had planned to go to Ghirardelli’s for ice-creams but we weren’t too hungry & it was getting really warm so we got the cable cars back to our hotel & went to the pool. It’s a heated pool on the 6th floor but I dipped my foot in & didn’t feel too warm! DH jumped in & I sat on a lounger & done my TR.

We went back to the room & got ready for dinner, we left the room at 5. We just missed a cable car so we got the bus down to Fisherman’s Wharf. We went to Musee Mecanique for a look. This is a big hall full of really old arcade games that have been restored. Then we went to Pier 39 had a look in the shops, then went upstairs to Bubba Gump’s for dinner.

There was a 10 minute wait. When we got our table we had a great view of the bay. For dinner I had Chicken Tenders & fries with a Bud Lite, DH had Shrimper Delight & a coke. Both meals were great.

Then we shared a dessert called That Chocolate Thing.

It was lovely but really sweet. It cost $51.

When we got outside it was really cold & windy. We walked up to Ghirardelli Square, we had a look around. There’s not very much here. None of us could face an ice-cream so we just went in the gift shop & bought some chocolates. Were both getting tired now so got the bus back to our hotel & were asleep for 10pm.

Edited at 09:51 AM.
Old 21 Oct 08, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
wickesy
VIP Dibber

Sounds like a great day. The thing that struck me about the sea-lions more than the smell was how noisy they were.

Trip Reports: WDW '07 ~ WDW '08 ~ SF & Disneyland '08 ~ WDW '09 ~ Smokies '09 ~ DLP '10 ~ DCL '10 ~ Crown Princess '11 ~ WDW '11 ~ DCL '12 ~ DCL '13

wickesy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 08, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Brilliant start to your day Kerry... a nice healthy breakfast!
what did you do to Dh? he doesn't look too happy in his Alcatraz photos..did you threaten to leave him there lol
purple myra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 08, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Team Jeans
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wickesy View Post
Sounds like a great day. The thing that struck me about the sea-lions more than the smell was how noisy they were.
Me too!

I'm starving looking at your reports - I'm amazed you 2 aren't the size of a house!

We went to Alcatraz, Halloween '03 (really atmospheric misty day too)& when we returned to SF, there is a stall at Pier 39, selling SF souveniers - they guy was an ex-inmate, there were people up shaking his hand & saying what an honour to meet him (OK he's done his time, but he could have been a murderer or anything!).

Wished I had got an Alcatraz triathlon t-shirt "Dig, Dash, Dive"
Old 21 Oct 08, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
elliemay
Imagineer

great trip report cant wait to go to california next year, and im really looking forward to alcatraz. I was wondering how much money to take per day but am not so concerned now after reading your reports things dont look to expensive
Old 21 Oct 08, 11:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Jools
Imagineer

A great day Kerry I couldn't get to close to the se lions for the smell Mmm Bubba Gumps
Jools is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 08, 07:46 AM  
Link to this Post

Another fantastic report Kerry. I soooo want to go back to SF after reading your TR.
Old 23 Oct 08, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
Really enjoying your report. Getting a few tips ready for next year
Old 28 Oct 08, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Strommie
Imagineer

Strommie's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Another brilliant day. I really want to visit SF.