Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 20 Feb 17, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Worgie View Post
I prefer to make something in advance so I am not stuck in the kitchen when guests arrive. One of my favourite things to do is to cook a whole joint of beef in the slow cooker. Just pop it in with some chopped leeks and carrots, half a bottle of decent red wine and some stock and leave it to do it's magic. The beef is amazing, really tender and succulent and the juices blended make an amazing gravy. Serve with roasties (or Loopylooloo's dauphinois E potatoes) & veg. Delish!
For dessert I usually make a simple no bake cheesecake I can make the day before and then make a Sussex Pond pudding as it's a family favourite. About a gazillion calories but it has a lemon in so its one of your five a day, right?
Mmm that beef dish sounds really delicious, I will be trying that one! I like the idea of preparing ahead keeps it less stressful.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 17, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
2littleboys
Imagineer

2littleboys's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
The Dibb puts so many ideas into my head! I have now decided to do a Mothers Day dinner as well

Love some of these menu ideas!
Old 20 Feb 17, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Worgie
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
Mmm that beef dish sounds really delicious, I will be trying that one! I like the idea of preparing ahead keeps it less stressful.
Anything to make life easier is good with me! I am cooking the beef for Mothers Day but as its my Mothers Day too, I don't want to be in the kitchen all day. Think I will serve it with dauphinoise potatoes for a change too.
Worgie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 17, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

I do a roast chicken and bubble and squeak served with peas, broccoli and gravy - bubble and squeak made the day before so flavour develops and it can be put in a tray in the oven to heat and crisp with the chicken, leaving little to do other than have a few glasses of wine whilst still being fêted for taking the bother to cook....
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 17, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
I do a roast chicken and bubble and squeak served with peas, broccoli and gravy - bubble and squeak made the day before so flavour develops and it can be put in a tray in the oven to heat and crisp with the chicken, leaving little to do other than have a few glasses of wine whilst still being fêted for taking the bother to cook....
Oooo this sounds lovely too! How do you make your bubble and squeak please?

Our trip reports -
Loopylooloo is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 17, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Oooo this sounds lovely too! How do you make your bubble and squeak please?
I fry a chopped leek til soft, add left over cabbage and mashed potato (or make some specially if it is for a big number of people)together - season well - fry til warmed through, then let it sit on a medium heat in the pan til a crispy bottom forms, then tip upside down on a plate, add more oil to the pan and pop back, let it sit til the other side is crispy, then can be left to cool/frozen/kept in fridge/whatever til needed.

Then it goes in the oven on a tray for the last 30 min of chicken roasting if chilled, 45 min if frozen.
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 17, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
I fry a chopped leek til soft, add left over cabbage and mashed potato (or make some specially if it is for a big number of people)together - season well - fry til warmed through, then let it sit on a medium heat in the pan til a crispy bottom forms, then tip upside down on a plate, add more oil to the pan and pop back, let it sit til the other side is crispy, then can be left to cool/frozen/kept in fridge/whatever til needed.

Then it goes in the oven on a tray for the last 30 min of chicken roasting if chilled, 45 min if frozen.
Lovely - thank you! Will give that a go. The wine bit sounds great too

Our trip reports -
Old 20 Feb 17, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Vanillapod View Post
My absolute favourite dish for guests is Ottolenghi's chicken pastilla.
It's absolutely delicious
There's loads of prep but it's worth it and you can (must!) do it all the night before so that all you need to do is assemble and shove in the oven leaving you free to chat. I hate being stuck in the kitchen when people come over so a roast is always out!

ottolenghi/chicken-pastilla-shop

Nopi and Plenty are my go -to books for entertaining 😋

There's the best pea soup recipe with goats cheese croutons too. Let me find that...

ottolenghi/pea-soup...-croutons-shop
Those recipes look amazing! I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to try the chicken but it's definitely a contender. What would I serve with it?

Originally Posted by Gev View Post
Can't beat a nice beef wellington! Eton Mess is nice as a dessert (blueberries are nice in it too), or there was a recipe on Facebook the other day for gin and tonic cheesecake.
My issu with beef wellington, apart from the fact I'm always worried about over cooking beef, is what do you serve with it? LoupyLooLoo's dauphenoise potatoes sound amazing - would they go?! What about Yorkies, veg etc.

How about a nice home made shortcrust salmon en croute? I have made this several times, with spinach, then served with a hollandaise sauce, new potatoes and veg.

Or, my signature dish which is so easy to prepare ahead and goes with any nice meat (steak/lamb)
Dauphinois potatoes - peel and slice potatoes very thinly, layer into a dish, seasoning each layer with salt, pepper, nutmeg, garlic powder, and grated cheese, repeat, then after several layers, cover with whipping cream, and milk. Grate a slice of bread on top and cook at around 140 degrees for a couple of hours - low and slow. They are so tasty!

Hope whatever you decide your mum has a lovely mothers day, you are a lovely daughter x
Just thought of a nice dessert - Canterbury Tart, its like a lemon apple tart, recipe here - katespuddings.blogspot...pple-tart.html
Thank you. I really want to try those potatoes! My Mum isn't a big fan of salmon but that is one to try when I have just my MIL or FIL round. I've never had Canterbury tart but I'm intrigued!

Thank you for all the suggestions! I hadn't thought of doing beef in a slow cooker before - I may do that in future, although I want something different to our usual Sunday fare for Mothers Day.
Old 20 Feb 17, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
Those recipes look amazing! I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to try the chicken but it's definitely a contender. What would I serve with it?
We normally serve a herby garlicky sauteed new potato dish (again, infuse the oil the night before) and some sesame and mirin green veg (Mange tout, purple sprouting and green beans)

I can send a pic of any of the recipes and methods via PM if you want to give it a go. The pastilla is worth every minute of prep! His instructions are so thorough that you really can't go wrong. It's definitely a night before dish though otherwise it would be stressful!

Edited at 08:50 PM.
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 17, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
smoggy123
Apprentice Imagineer

smoggy123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I love the sound of this but even in a slow cooker I never seem to get it right What joint of beef do you use?
Old Key West JULY/AUGUST (18 nights, with a Universal hotel thrown in somewhere!) 2015
Old Key West JUNE 2020 (2 WEEKS)
smoggy123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List