Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 5 Jan 18, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile Orlando (Disney) on my own with 2 little ones- yay or madness?

My other half has to go to Orlando for a conference in April 2018. I'd love to go and take our kids, and for the weekend either side of conference, we can go places together. But for 5 days it'll be me with 18month old and 4 year old. Is this madness? Are they too young? (I was 8 when I went many years ago!).
What would people recommend doing? Disney parks, universal, water parks?
Also, youngest has dairy allergy- is this catered for in the USA?
Thank very much!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 18, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

will you be able to cope with 2 kids alone at home ?
then you'll be fine in Florida (plan for a double buggy for the little ones, they'll need a place to rest)

with kids in that age range, I'd stick to Disney

allergies are very well handled. Always mention at restaurants, and they will guide you through what's suitable and what's not on the menu
give Disney notice well in advance so they can work that with you.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 18, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Of course, Disney is the destination of choice of many single parent families. You won't even be on your own at night. I'd save the waterparks for when there are two of you ideally though...
Stick with "just" Disney and you'll be fine.

Edited at 04:08 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 18, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post

I would stick to the Disney bubble, would be more suitable for that age range too. You'd have access to the Disney water parks then still.

Food-wise they cater very well for allergies - we are taking my 12 year old niece in June and she is lactose intolerant, just mention it when reserving tables online and when you go into restaurants etc and they'll look after you!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 18, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Mobile

It mainly depends if you can manage them on your own. I went last year with mine when they were 3 and 15months and it's fantastic. Hard work but fun. I'm a big advocate on taking kids when little - my little girl still talks about it every day. That said, in all honestly I'm not sure I could've handled them both on my own though. We are going again this year when my daughter will be nearly 4 and my son nearly 2. My son is 18m old now and I couldn't do it on my own butmaybe it depends on the kids? My son is at that crazy stage. I Defo wouldn't do waterparks on your own! We didn't do waterparks last year even with two of us! I'd also stick to just disney and if possible stay on site so you've got that bubble like a Laura says. The main question is could you cope on your own with them? You need to think about handling them both when you go on rides and you've no pram or if you need to dismantle pram for transportation, eating out etc. What do you do if you need the loo etc? The key thing to think about in disney is that you need to leave your pram to go eat, on rides, in shows and obviously if you go to toilet. You can keep pram up on monorail though. I think it's more the practicalities of handling two little ones for those 5 days. Mine are 18m and 3 and a half years old now so similar age to yours.
2012 - Sept The 'anniversary trip' SSR. - 2013 - October the bonus trip to POR
2015 - 20th trip!September WLV first trip with DD!
2017 - Sept Poly first trip with two toddlers!
2018 - May AKV & POR the last before school trip.
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2022 - April Poly, SSR, WLV
2023 - POFQ & AKL
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 18, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Yes if you manage fine alone at home. Otherwise no. Also the better they can swim the better for you. I know your 18m old won’t be able to but you’ve got time for your 4 year old to learn. I’d stay in the Disney bubble. Hire a double Disney buggy daily, try to get out for rope drop before the queues build and do nap and swimming time in the afternoons. Some of the resorts have great little playgrounds. POFQ has a great splash play area next to the pool. Given their ages a trip out to Legoland may be a winner too.
Old 5 Jan 18, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

I'd take a sling and a double buggy. You have to fold the buggy on Disney transport so will be easier to have 18month old in sling, carry buggy and hold hand of 4 yr old. When in the parks the buggy will be fine.

My DD is nut allergic so have put that on all our ADRs. Have an amazing holiday xx
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 18, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We took our 2 at 4 yrs and 18 months respectively, admittedly with both parents. They absolutely loved it. Like the others have said, I would stick to Disney and I am sure you will have a great time.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List