Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Apr 19, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile Perianal abscess

DH had surgery yesterday. It was apparently quite large across a lot of his bum cheek 😱

We're due to go to Fuerventura in 4 weeks. Any experience if we'll be able to fly?

We've got two kids and don't want to disappoint them but obviously health comes first. DH would like to go if possible.

Not told insurance as yet. Assuming they'll cover with a fit to fly. Again assumption but expect GP won't do this until few days before.

Any experience or comments appreciated. If it's a No want to be prepared soonest to work out options with kids ☹️
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Retired nursey here, really depends on his recovery - if he has no other health problems and is generally fit and well, he should be well recovered in 4 weeks time. Make sure the area is kept clean and dry as an infection would prolong things.
Also, just in case - it would be a good idea to invest in one of those inflatable rings that people have for haemorrhoids etc for the plane seat or harder seats whilst your away?

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

In my experience which is probably a littleness out of date this could easily take more than 4 weeks to heal.

He may be up to going but probably wouldn’t be able to swim and walking long distances could be painful.

What type of pack did they put in?
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

i think a lot will depend on how long DH can sit for even if healed the area will still be delicate and vulnerable when sitting for long periods. He may need to be careful with swimming etc or even avoid depending on how things are. I would give the travel insurance a ring now and find out options
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

I had 2, one year apart. Nasty beasts, base of my spine into fleshy bit of my bum, and doctor was worried about the infection getting to my spinal cord.

It was painful for a couple of weeks afterwards but I could have flown no problem by the 3rd week.

Obviously you’d need to check with the doctor. I had a strong anti-biotic afterwards to mop-up any remaining infections. Perhaps your GP will give your son an emergency supply of them to take with him just in case. One of those ‘doughnut’ cushions might be useful for him on the plane to reduce pressure from sitting so long on an uncomfy seat.

I’ve just thought - have they talked about cleaning g the wound and changing dressing ? I had a district nurse come in to do mine every other day for the first two weeks until it wasn’t so painful and I could do it myself.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
rosiela
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I think it would depend on how he feels... I had one of these a few years ago and it was probably the most painful experience of my life. I couldn’t sit down and had to lie on my side for eating for a good couple of weeks. When I could sit it was very tender and I struggled to walk far. Hope he recovers quickly as they can be really nasty x
rosiela is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks for speedy replies 👍

It sounds like it may be a possibility 🤞 He's generally fit and well apart from overweight. Already of talking of working at home or maybe going in for few hours on Monday ☹️

He doesn't want to ring insurance until weekend to see how he feels. Only came home today after op yesterday.

Got lots of painkillers and antibiotics. Seeing district nurse daily from tomorrow to change padding and dressing. He's worried about that as apparently it wasn't great today in hospital. Ordered s ring cushion today off Amazon. Came home from hospital today in car for about 25 mind and was ok sitting for that short time.

Happy not to swim and will keep him off the beach - the thought of sand near it 😱

Was going to book him extra legroom and be one of 'those' families with me and kids in cheap seats 🤣

I suppose we'll see what district nurse says tomorrow and maybe reassess on Monday once he's had time to think about it.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
lottiesmum0
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Blue nose View Post
Thanks for speedy replies 👍

It sounds like it may be a possibility 🤞 He's generally fit and well apart from overweight. Already of talking of working at home or maybe going in for few hours on Monday ☹️

He doesn't want to ring insurance until weekend to see how he feels. Only came home today after op yesterday.

Got lots of painkillers and antibiotics. Seeing district nurse daily from tomorrow to change padding and dressing. He's worried about that as apparently it wasn't great today in hospital. Ordered s ring cushion today off Amazon. Came home from hospital today in car for about 25 mind and was ok sitting for that short time.

Happy not to swim and will keep him off the beach - the thought of sand near it 😱

Was going to book him extra legroom and be one of 'those' families with me and kids in cheap seats 🤣

I suppose we'll see what district nurse says tomorrow and maybe reassess on Monday once he's had time to think about it.
I think he will need to inform insurance anyway as you need him to be covered if you do go.
Old 24 Apr 19, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

Is he being packed? I had a pilonidal abbess when I 22 and a second surgery 13 months later for a pilonidal sinus.

I was in my final year at university and went back after 3 weeks the first time. After the second surgery I was teaching and had a sick note for 4 weeks.

If he is having it packed it will take a couple of weeks to heal (mine took 2.5 weeks and it was a deep one).

I wish him a speedy recovery - I would rather go through childbirth again than another abscess!
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by jdndt View Post
Is he being packed? I had a pilonidal abbess when I 22 and a second surgery 13 months later for a pilonidal sinus.

I was in my final year at university and went back after 3 weeks the first time. After the second surgery I was teaching and had a sick note for 4 weeks.

If he is having it packed it will take a couple of weeks to heal (mine took 2.5 weeks and it was a deep one).

I wish him a speedy recovery - I would rather go through childbirth again than another abscess!
Yes we believe it's being packed. District nurse does this for a few? weeks until he is able to deal with it himself, we think.

I didn't see his doctor so only know what he remembers and he was only focused on coming home.

We may know more tomorrow but at least it's sounding more like wait and see rather than a not a chance.