Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 Aug 20, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

My mum lives in a residential park home. Not to be confused with a holiday park home.

She has lived there since around 1990. It wouldn’t have been my choice for her at the time, but now she’s older I actually think her decision back then was wise for her circumstances.

She couldn’t afford the upkeep of the two storey semi she had back then, so she wanted to move.

She freed up cash so she retired early. She has a detached single storey home, in a nice quiet location with a nice garden. She could never have afforded a bungalow when she moved, so the park home suited her. She’s got some lovely friends in other homes there, as it’s a very friendly community. Now she’s older I can see the benefit of single storey for her.

I look at DHs parents who struggle to upkeep their semi house now as it’s far too big for them. DHs mum can’t get up the stairs and now has a bedroom downstairs and because of disabilities is not allowed a stair lift, so she hasn’t been upstairs in her own home for a few years.

My mum has had things done to improve her home over the years as she never planned to move again.

I’d rather my mum enjoyed her life and can access all of her home.

Park homes may not suit everyone though.
ROBBOTOO is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Loobylou_82
Imagineer

Think I would go for the terraced house at £80,000. At least it's resalable, but don't think you would get much for a park home , unless of course they aren't intent on leaving their children anything ,
when God forbid anything happens too them. I keep saying to my kids that when i die there will be nothing left cos I am going to keep on downsizing till I'm living in a caravan or tent ! But if it's their dream then they should go for it. I didn't realise they cost as much as a terraced house.
Loobylou_82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Partner dad and step mum lived in one for 2 years it was ok during the summer bit dueing the winter it was freezing even with heating on
cartoonp is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Wizzyanne
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks everyone. All these comments sum up exactly how I feel about it. I can see how they would be happy there, but I honestly think a house is a more wise choice.
I will help them to look and view a few, and let the come to their own decision.
Wizzyanne is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
chewee
Very Serious Dibber

We looked at doing this but if we decided it wasn't for us and we decided to sell we would have had to pay 10% of sale to park owners.
Old 9 Aug 20, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

A friend of mine moved into one in November last year. The site is for over 60's and has a lovely community, during lockdown they were very well looked after, the site managed checked on everyone, people got their prescriptions and food. They have trips, quizes etc. Her homes is beautiful. 3 bedroom, ensuite, walk in wardrobe, utility. In winter it was really warm and cosy. Yes she does have site fees and restrictions, but she loves it. The ones on her site are resellable and often there is a waiting list for them.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
hols2florida
Very Serious Dibber

My Auntie & Uncle have lived in one for about 10 years now. They sold their 4 bedroom detached house, paid off the mortgage & bought a caravan (although not your bog standard caravan, it’s probably not even classed as a caravan)! They love it. They have lots of friends on site & know everyone who goes in the club. They’ve always been very happy with their decision to do this & as far as I know, have no regrets. They also manage their fair share of holidays abroad each year, probably helped by having no mortgage.

Edited at 09:54 PM.
hols2florida is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Wizzyanne
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks again everyone. Really helpful comment, appreciate it.
Maybe I’ll show mum these 😊
Wizzyanne is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Originally Posted by ROBBOTOO View Post
My mum lives in a residential park home. Not to be confused with a holiday park home.

She has lived there since around 1990. It wouldn’t have been my choice for her at the time, but now she’s older I actually think her decision back then was wise for her circumstances.

She couldn’t afford the upkeep of the two storey semi she had back then, so she wanted to move.

She freed up cash so she retired early. She has a detached single storey home, in a nice quiet location with a nice garden. She could never have afforded a bungalow when she moved, so the park home suited her. She’s got some lovely friends in other homes there, as it’s a very friendly community. Now she’s older I can see the benefit of single storey for her.

I look at DHs parents who struggle to upkeep their semi house now as it’s far too big for them. DHs mum can’t get up the stairs and now has a bedroom downstairs and because of disabilities is not allowed a stair lift, so she hasn’t been upstairs in her own home for a few years.

My mum has had things done to improve her home over the years as she never planned to move again.

I’d rather my mum enjoyed her life and can access all of her home.

Park homes may not suit everyone though.
100% this.

My in-laws were adamant they were staying in their home no matter what. They actually live on a street with bungalows but wouldn’t consider moving to one of them. They struggled the last two years of my mother in laws life (longer to be honest but two years of real difficulties).

Beds in the dining room, washing themselves in the kitchen. Just really stressful. MIL has now died and my father in law is terribly lonely. He can manage the stairs himself for now but not forever.

If they had settled somewhere on one floor with a community around then at 60, then when they got up their late 80s it would have made life much easier.

I know at 60 these days seem far away. But having seen what they have gone through I am very conscious that our current house will be totally unsuitable and know we need to move while we are young enough for it not to be too difficult to deal with. (But not just yet, I’m only 51! )
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 02:31 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Like Bev's, my in laws' house was totally unsuitable as they got older. It was a 4 bed room detached but actually quite small with only one bathroom. The ground floor included the garage so there was no where to put a bed except the living room. Having very steep, narrow stairs and no downstairs loo was actually dangerous as they got older. MIL didn't drink enough just to avoid the stairs. The garden was also a huge burden.

I would expect that most inexpensive terraced houses would have some of the same issues. A flat or park home would have been much better for them. Sadly MIL would agree to look at flats but always make excuses to put to put it off.