Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Oct 21, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Concerned
slightly serious Dibber

Insane prices!

This is insane. I've been looking for October 2022 - quite a long way away - and the prices are literally ballistic! Car rental alone for two weeks is £1,200 or above! Premium economy flights and a villa for two people is around £3,600. These prices are ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ridiculous! In 2020 I had booked a holiday for two in October 2021 that was £3,200 including villa, premium economy return flights AND car rental!
We are seeing an effective 50% price increase. Car rental has gone barmy - I paid £550 for two week rental of a large car and now it's over TWICE that!
WHY?
Concerned is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
MarkUK
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Concerned View Post
This is insane. I've been looking for October 2022 - quite a long way away - and the prices are literally ballistic! Car rental alone for two weeks is £1,200 or above! Premium economy flights and a villa for two people is around £3,600. These prices are ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ridiculous! In 2020 I had booked a holiday for two in October 2021 that was £3,200 including villa, premium economy return flights AND car rental!
We are seeing an effective 50% price increase. Car rental has gone barmy - I paid £550 for two week rental of a large car and now it's over TWICE that!
WHY?
Lots of reasons all stemming from Covid. 2022 is only going to be for those with deep pockets I think.
MarkUK is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Dendycat
VIP Dibber

Dendycat's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
Supply and demand. Not enough rents cars so prices have rocketed.
Old 17 Oct 21, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Can you afford (time wise) to fly indirect? If you look at BA, it gives you the option of customising your trip. By playing around with dates a little also, you might be able to save some.

I understand that this might not always be possible. We are stuck with having to travel in school holidays so go over summer when there are more options to pick different dates.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

There's a huge new car shortage, and lots of the rental firms sold off their fleets last year to stay afloat. So reduced inventory and increased demand = crazy prices.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
MarkUK
Imagineer

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
There's a huge new car shortage, and lots of the rental firms sold off their fleets last year to stay afloat. So reduced inventory and increased demand = crazy prices.
And due to the chip shortage it isn’t going to get better any time soon. If anything, i would expect hire prices to keep increasing as more cars get booked up so it could actually be a false economy waiting it out if going in 2022.
MarkUK is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Restomaniac
Proud to wear my Ears

It’s gone mad in general. As another example I looked at my TUI flight for October next year……and it’s 2 seats from being full.
Restomaniac is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

You certainly need to shop around. It sounds like your main premium is coming from the car hire side, which as others have already mentioned rental companies sold their cars and having issues getting new cars. Therefore you might be better off booking nearer the time. Though if you look at the car hire thread there a few tips for getting cheaper car hire at the moment, I.e getting car hire with Hertz but not picking up at the airport location, you can often pay a third of the MCO price right now. Many places offer free cancellation so if things change you can always change your car hire.

With the above in September to early October. I’ve managed to get flights with BA for £575, 7 seater car hire for 19 days for £855 (gold package, tank of fuel, additional drivers etc)

Edited at 11:21 AM.
dan223 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Stepaway
Serious Dibber

We are hopping to go October 22. I have secured car hire for £450 for - large car for 8 days. Flights (economy, BA) are coming out £495-£550 at the moment, although I appreciate that’s only up to early October right now).

With careful planning I’m hoping to manage the cost
Stepaway is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

2 premium economy flights and a villa for, I assume, 2 weeks doesn't seem *that* extortionate, compared to some other flight prices I've seen. Have you priced the flights separately to see how much they are?

I agree, car hire prices are silly, but car stock is low worldwide. We're looking for a new car and they all have 4-5 months, at least, lead time, whereas usually there'd be lots of available new stock to choose from.
2022 - Margaritaville & RPR --- 2023 - Villa & RPR & Surfside
Shani is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List