Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 16 Aug 17, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post

Best/Safe Airlines to Fly with Nut Allergy

Hello!
I am going to be booking a flight from London to MCO sep 2018, I am traveling with my bf who has a Nut Allergy, he has never been on a long haul flight so is going to the doctors to get re tested and also advice for flying. I am looking for the safest airline or airline that would make announcements and not serve nuts on the plane. (I Know people get aggy but I mean its life or death for someone). If anyone has had any experiences with airlines such as BA, Virgin, Thomson, Thomson Cook, Norwegian, please feel free to let me know any information you have
Thank you! have a magical day!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 17, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
papamouse
VIP Dibber

we flew TC and outbound they announced someone onboard had a nut allergy so please no one eat them - we had them and complied.

just make sure you let the airline know so they make an announcement. Not saying everyone will comply but we did.

2025 "Free Dining" Discounts Calculator Spreadsheet here:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...php?p=15848077
papamouse is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 17, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

DD has a serious peanut allergy both Virgin and Thomas Cook have been brilliant. Make sure you inform the cabin crew as soon as you board.
Old 16 Aug 17, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post

what did they both do? Thank you for your reply? did u feel safe in there hands?
Old 16 Aug 17, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

We have been on a flight when the announcement was made, we complied but wouldn't be surprised if other didn't.
Get extra medication to take with you, suitable insurance etc.
DD had friends with life threatening nut allergies & they have all flown long haul with no issues.
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 17, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

Originally Posted by Ivvy143 View Post
what did they both do? Thank you for your reply? did u feel safe in there hands?
Pretty sure Virgin don't serve nuts onboard but they did an announcement. TC do serve nuts but didn't because of DD and made an announcement. Sadly there's nothing you can do to prevent other passengers taking snacks onboard and eating them if they choose to. We always have DDs meds to hand. Thankfully not had to use her epipen yet. She can smell a peanut at 50 paces makes her feel sick and her lips tingle wheezy and needs her ventolin. She refuses to let it worry her and not fly but we always have her meds.
Old 27 Aug 17, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post

BA, Virgin, Aer Lingus and Thomas Cook will all make announcements and stop serving nuts as far as I am aware. Always check the airline's policy before you book. Then notify them before your trip as well as at the gate and as you ar boarding. Take a packet of baby wipes with you to wipe down tray tables, seat, arm rest, belt etc etc. As previous occupants of the seats were probably eating nuts at some point. Nut and peanut proteins stick around for weeks.

Also there is a petition atm to completely ban all nuts and pn on flights.

change/p/uk-parliame...cation=minibar
Old 27 Aug 17, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
MENTALMUM
Very Serious Dibber

its three years since we travelled with Virgin and even after numerous calls to special assistance we discovered on boarding the flight that they were serving walnut pasta as the vegetarian option. Unfortunately my son is severely allergic to walnuts and after 45 minutes of discussion with the staff and ground crew he was off boarded with my daughter and her partner. To cut a long story short, they finally arrived in orlando 36 hours later,they were initially offered a delta fight that served walnuts as a snack, no go for that flight either thankfully they managed to get a flight with Aer Lingus who said it would be remiss to offer nuts on any flight given the confined space. Virgin never admitted they did anything wrong and I have it in writing that they would not stop selling nuts if they were asked for or stop other people from eating them if they wanted to. We haven't flown with them since, we travel with Thomas cook who are brilliant. Virgin may have changed their policies but we can't take that chance. My son has a tree nut allergy, not peanuts and the airlines are very confused by it. Most airlines are fine but i would call them to check whet they serve as food and to advise the of you allergy before you book.

Edited at 04:35 PM.
MENTALMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 17, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post

yes Aer Lingus have 'rescued' us it the past also. hurrah for Aer Lingus

i thought there had been other stories of virgin and some sort of nutty dish being served but i wasn't 100% sure as have read their policy is to stop serving nuts. Hopefully things have improved
Old 27 Aug 17, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
tikka234
Imagineer

Originally Posted by papamouse View Post
we flew TC and outbound they announced someone onboard had a nut allergy so please no one eat them - we had them and complied.

just make sure you let the airline know so they make an announcement. Not saying everyone will comply but we did.
Same with us last year with TC daughter had brought nuts onto the plane announcement was made so didn't have the them.