Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 13 Feb 19, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
#11
kk20
Apprentice Imagineer
 
kk20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 13
19 hours flight seems odd with a 2 hour layover. We fly from Edinburgh in July. Just looking at the tickets now and they say 1:35hr to Schiphol, 3 hour layover, 11 hours to Narita. Coming back is 12 hours from Haneda to CDG, 1:45 layover then 1:45 to Edinburgh.

Either way, what are you looking for? This is our plan so far: https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...1&postcount=14

We locked down 3x locations over 15 days as we didnt want to burn out. There is so much to do so we didnt want to waste time travelling too much: We are doing disney (action)->kyoto (culture)->USJ (action, from Kyoto)->Tokyo (last bit of madness).

We intend to use a 7day JR pass starting on the Kyoto and ending when we get back to Tokyo. We will use Pasmo IC cards for subway and load them as necessary. Our Kids can use "children" Pasmo which we will get from the office in Narita (whilst booking the Shinkansen at the same time). First hotel is Okura Bay then a pair of AirBnBs: a house in Kyoto next to train station and AEON mall then an apartment a few mins from Ueno station - we have used extensive use of google maps to start mapping out roads and landmarks.

Most of the travelling in Kyoto is not JR for us but we will have a JR pass active. Same again for Tokyo, whilst we CAN get away with JR and walking it wont be the ideal route - this means we dont need a JR pass active for our entire trip - just the bullet trains will make it cost effective alone, any other trips are a bonus.

Wifi will be picked up at the airport and we are all learning Japanese via 2 apps - lingodeer and duolingo. I prefer lingodeer.
__________________
Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea
Disneyland Paris: Dream castle, Magic castle, Cheyenne, Santa Fe, Explorers, Disneyland Hotel and Hotel New York Disneyland Anaheim Disneyland Hong Kong (a week after it opened!)

Edited at 02:39 PM.
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 19, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
#12
honeybun1989
Thread Starter
Imagineer
 
honeybun1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 10
Hi KK20

Thanks for your info ..
The flight from Glasgow to Dubai 7hr 30 min ..
1hr 35 layover the Dubai to Narita 9hrs 45 mins ..

Return is from Haneda Airport..

Does this sound ok?
honeybun1989 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 19, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
#13
AntonyJ
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Sep 08
Originally Posted by honeybun1989 View Post
Thanks for that info, I didnít realise that .. we are very flexible with dates so have decided to go late August/early September ..
Thatís really kind of you, thank you!
Not a problem!

Be lovely to natter with a fellow Dibber, my partner is not much of a Disney fan and the visit to TDR is quite quick - we have a full day for TDS and a "after 6pm to 10pm" visit to TDL. Then we move into Tokyo - perhaps a sneaky day back later in holiday, but not holding out much hope lol.

Would love to hear your plans, what we both are looking forward to / are nervous about etc etc. Might be better after I get back in May then I can at least talk about my actual experience, but does not mean we could meet sooner - have a Japan / Disney centric natter
AntonyJ is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 19, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
#14
honeybun1989
Thread Starter
Imagineer
 
honeybun1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 10
Mobile

Originally Posted by AntonyJ View Post
Not a problem!

Be lovely to natter with a fellow Dibber, my partner is not much of a Disney fan and the visit to TDR is quite quick - we have a full day for TDS and a "after 6pm to 10pm" visit to TDL. Then we move into Tokyo - perhaps a sneaky day back later in holiday, but not holding out much hope lol.

Would love to hear your plans, what we both are looking forward to / are nervous about etc etc. Might be better after I get back in May then I can at least talk about my actual experience, but does not mean we could meet sooner - have a Japan / Disney centric natter
Sounds great!

Everyone has been very helpful with information but I think I feel more confused than before 😊
Iím not sure wether to fly into Tokyo and out of Osaka or into Osaka and out of Tokyo ..
Or just fly in and out of Tokyo
Ha ha! You can see Iím very confused!
Iím also unsure how long to stay in each place and what areas are best for hotels .. weíre thinking if Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto and have the options of day trips inbetween ..
As i said Iím really confused!
honeybun1989 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 19, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
#15
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Sep 15
Originally Posted by honeybun1989 View Post
Sounds great!

Everyone has been very helpful with information but I think I feel more confused than before 😊
Iím not sure wether to fly into Tokyo and out of Osaka or into Osaka and out of Tokyo ..
Or just fly in and out of Tokyo
Ha ha! You can see Iím very confused!
Iím also unsure how long to stay in each place and what areas are best for hotels .. weíre thinking if Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto and have the options of day trips inbetween ..
As i said Iím really confused!
From what I have read itís better to base yourself in either Kyoto or Osaka. There is no need to move hotels as itís only around 1/2 hour between the two cities.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 19, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
#16
honeybun1989
Thread Starter
Imagineer
 
honeybun1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 10
Mobile

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
From what I have read itís better to base yourself in either Kyoto or Osaka. There is no need to move hotels as itís only around 1/2 hour between the two cities.
Thank you, so we could split our stay and book hotels for Tokyo and Kyoto and do day trips from both?
honeybun1989 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 19, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
#17
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Sep 15
Originally Posted by honeybun1989 View Post
Thank you, so we could split our stay and book hotels for Tokyo and Kyoto and do day trips from both?
Thatís what we are doing but as we have never been before we are not experts!
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 19, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
#18
arisser
Proud to wear my Ears
 
arisser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 18
Originally Posted by honeybun1989 View Post
Thank you, so we could split our stay and book hotels for Tokyo and Kyoto and do day trips from both?
This is what I did and it worked perfectly. 4 nights in Kyoto and then 5 nights in Tokyo.
arisser is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 19, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
#19
honeybun1989
Thread Starter
Imagineer
 
honeybun1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 10
Originally Posted by arisser View Post
This is what I did and it worked perfectly. 4 nights in Kyoto and then 5 nights in Tokyo.
Thank you, thatís a great help!

We are going for 14 nights, so if we flew into Tokyo and stayed for 7 nights then a further 7 nights at Kyoto and flew back from Osaka with day trips from both .. does that sound ok?
honeybun1989 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 19, 11:43 PM  
Link to this Post
#20
arisser
Proud to wear my Ears
 
arisser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 18
Originally Posted by honeybun1989 View Post
Thank you, thatís a great help!

We are going for 14 nights, so if we flew into Tokyo and stayed for 7 nights then a further 7 nights at Kyoto and flew back from Osaka with day trips from both .. does that sound ok?
That sounds good to me! I know I recommended the JR Pass for trains in my first post but if you're flying into Tokyo and out of Osaka then you'll only be taking the shinkansen one way and therefore the JR Pass might not be the best deal. I'd suggest planning what day trips you want to take and then working out if you'll actually save money or whether you're better off paying out of pocket for trains. I didn't get the JR Pass as I was also only taking the shinkansen one way, and I ended up saving money this way.

Be aware that often there are several train options for the same journey and these can vary hugely in both journey time and price. There are loads of resources online to help you plan ahead though!
arisser is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin - Copyright © 2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Latest News
Posted in Airlines
On 3rd August 9:48am
The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has conducted a review into airline refund practices during the... Read More »
Posted in Disneyland Paris
On 1st August 1:13pm
With the new Ratatouille ride coming to EPCOT at Walt Disney World, Disney has released... Read More »
Posted in Walt Disney World
On 30th July 9:26am
Disney has not only been welcoming guests back to their theme parks, they have also... Read More »


theDIBB Menu


Exchange Rates
US Dollar Rates
ASDA  $1.2779
CaxtonFX  $1.2730
Covent Garden FX  $1.2832
FAIRFX  $1.2730
John Lewis  $1.2902
M&S  $1.2666
Post Office  $1.2651
Sainsburys  $1.2737
TESCO  $1.2752
Travelex  $1.2713
Updated: 16:00 07/08/2020
Euro Rates
ASDA  €1.0857
CaxtonFX  €1.0794
Covent Garden FX  €1.0904
FAIRFX  €1.0810
John Lewis  €1.0890
M&S  €1.0698
Post Office  €1.0678
Sainsburys  €1.0830
TESCO  €1.0846
Travelex  €1.0802
Updated: 16:00 07/08/2020

DIBB Premium Membership
Did you know you can help support theDIBB with Premium Membership?

Check out this link for more information and benefits, such as...

"No adverts on theDIBB Forums"

Upgrade Now