Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Feb 19, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
batleyboy26
Imagineer

I can only manage hand luggage only liquids if going for 2/3 nights - any longer I would have to have a hold luggage bag. I decant my shampoo & conditioner into hotel toiletries bottles I bring home with me. Sun cream - I buy a 50ml size tube which is good for 2/3 days. Small travel-sized toothpaste. Wilko’s sell small pots for me to put a bit of foundation and moisturiser in to.

Remember, you can’t take as many 100ml bottles as you want with you. You can only take up to a max of 1 litre and you would not fit them all in to your small plastic bag when you consider things like mascara, lipstick, eyeliner and meds (if applicable).

I usually buy my deodorant at the airport then throw it away before coming home. Make up wipes too instead of cleansers.
1991 - Buenaventura Lakes Villa;1992 - Hawaiian Econolodge; 1993 - DLP, Sequoia Lodge; 1998 - DLP - Cheyenne; 2000 - Buenaventura Lakes Villa; 2004 - Oak Plantation Resort; 2006 - Holiday Inn Sunspree; 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 & 2019 - Bahama Bay

Edited at 12:09 PM.
batleyboy26 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 19, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
Useful info about bags, thanks. We have to wait for anyone else using our shuttle anyway so if those people have hold bags we might as well take advantage of putting our hand luggage away in the hold if asked.
If I get 100ml bottles can I take as many of those as I want?
I just don't want to be wasting buying more of stuff I already have once I get to duty free and then have to throw it away before coming home. (It's not the money, it's the waste I hate)
You can take as much as you want . . . . as long as it will fit in the small plastic bag, and the bag will close. I have been pulled up for carrying two bags before even though one was for my child. We had to take one each. I just buy cheap stuff over there.
meboo is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 19, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Remember. ALL LIQUIDS must fit into ONE airport plastic bag per person

I travel frequently between Spain and U.K. and I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve seen passengers goods taken away because they have too much

Edited at 12:31 PM.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 19, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
What do I do about shampoo, sun cream etc?
Buy small (100ml or less) bottles of these products. Or get some empty 100ml bottles and pour the shampoo, suncream, etc into these before you go.

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
Remember. ALL LIQUIDS must fit into ONE airport plastic bag per person
And the clear plastic bag has to be approximately the same size as the ones at the airport. I saw someone who had a clear bag about twice the size of the airport ones but he was told he couldn't use it.

I've even been told to swap my bag for an airport one even though the bag I had was the same size and had been used several times beforehand.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 19, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I actually don’t think it’s that much of a big deal. I’ve done week long trips with hand luggage only and taken make up and “washing” bits with me. If I’m going somewhere for longer than 4/5 days i’ll Just buy shampoo / shower gel over there because by the time both my partner and I use it, it makes sense. If it’s less than 4 days I’ll take it with me. If I’m going to be staying in a hotel I won’t bother with shower gel as they always have some. Then I’ll decant shampoo / conditioner / face wash. My make up is all under 100 ml and you only have to put in liquid (so usually this is only my foundation, concealer and mascara) everything else goes into my normal make up bag as it’s not a liquid. Between the two of us travelling you can take two bags usually with 10 items in both so that’s 20 items. We sometimes don’t even hit the 20 item limit but it’s more than enough. Sun cream i’d usually just buy in duty free when I’m through security and leave it out there if I haven’t used it up!

The cost of not using a hold bag and getting to leave straight away more than makes up for the slight inconvenience of working out liquids!
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 19, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
TRACCOOPER
Excited about Disney

You can buy air side at Boots but if they are in bottles over 100 ml then you cant bring them back. My sister likes specific brands of hair products that are not always available at the smaller airport stores. She does a click and collect for air side Boots but does have to leave any unused products behind.
TRACCOOPER is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 19, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Useful info about bags, thanks. We have to wait for anyone else using our shuttle anyway so if those people have hold bags we might as well take advantage of putting our hand luggage away in the hold if asked.
If I get 100ml bottles can I take as many of those as I want?
I just don't want to be wasting buying more of stuff I already have once I get to duty free and then have to throw it away before coming home. (It's not the money, it's the waste I hate)
Remember they will take anything off you at security not at boarding, so you just can’t hand in your hand luggage at boarding like with Ryanair etc.

So your choice is

1. buy 100 ml bottles and decant your products into them realisticallyyou will only get about five of them in the plastic bag, then you need to think about toothpaste etc. Will that fit in too.
2. Take your own stuff and pay for hold baggage.
3. Buy stuff after security take onboard. Throw out what’s left before return.
4. Don’t wash or clean teeth for length of holiday ( joke)
5. Buy locally.
That’s your choices. Pick what’s best for you.

Edited at 01:40 PM.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 19, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
How many of those 100ml bottles will fit in the official bag? So I can work out what to take. also, if I take tooth powder instead of toothpaste is that OK separate or does it still have to go in the plastic bag?
Looks like I need shampoo, conditioner, sun cream and body and face moisturisers as a minimum that's 5 bottles
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 19, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Don't forget no aerosols either. My oh had his deodorant taken off him when he decided to put it in his hand luggage to save space.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 19, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsbenny
Imagineer

Mobile

We can manage a week with hand luggage only and still come back with clean clothes. I just bought 100ml size ultrasuns and dispensed from big bottle of toiletries into the 100 ml size bottles from Poundland. I found it quite easy to travel hand luggage only TBH.
mrsbenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List