Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 23 Jun 19, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
MEGGYJOE
Imagineer

Tampa

Never flown into Tampa before and we have booked a car with Alamo (which I am told you can go straight to collect)
Would anyone know if we go through any tolls en route to Orlando please.
Old 23 Jun 19, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
No tolls from Tampa.

Join the 275 north then the I4.

Edited at 07:52 PM.
Orlando 2004 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
MEGGYJOE
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Orlando 2004 View Post
No tolls from Tampa.

Join the 275 north then the I4.
Thank you
Old 24 Jun 19, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Photogirl62
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We did this route last year. No tolls.
The whole Tampa experiences was amazing - from the minute the plane wheels hit the runway tarmac to us sitting in the car was an hour exactly! We were the only plane at immigration so guess that helped!
Drive was straightforward and prob an hour 15 mins to Highlands Reserve.
Looking to do the same next year 🤞
2022: Highlands Reserve villa followed by Gulf Coast
Photogirl62 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 19, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
robotango
Proud to wear my Ears

First time to Tampa ourselves this year, the prices into MCO made this a simple choice, just make our way accross at our own pace, did consider a hotel for the night in the local area but because people reported the journey takes just over an hour decided to travel after the flight in. When we return I will post about my Tampa experience
robotango is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 19, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
silver_age
Excited about Disney

We’re doing Tampa for the first time this year and I’m hoping all will go smoothly. The flight arrives at 19:35, so I’m hoping to be at the villa by about 10pm.
silver_age is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 19, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
RC22
Very Serious Dibber

I prefer the drive from TPA to Orlando to the drive from MCO itself. Longer but less stop/start unless you get unlucky with the traffic.
March 2010 I-Drive Quality Inn International Nov 2011 I-Drive Homewood Suites Oct 2012 The Dibb fave Coral's Villa Lindfields Aug 2013 Blue Heron Resort Aug 2014 NY & Orlando Cane Island 10yr Wedding Anniversary., Oct 2016 Windsor Palms, Royal Pacific and Disney Dream Cruise , Aug 2017 Emerald Island Oct 2019 Emerald Island & Vero Beach Aug 22 Glenbrook villa The First Bite That Gets You Hooked. Trip Report
RC22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 19, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
spready
Excited about Disney

spready's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We did Tampa last year and doing it again this year. As already said it is a straightforward drive and airport and car hire are quicker than at MCO. We usually stay the night at a Tampa hotel and drive up morning afterwards but each to their own. Have a great holiday.
Old 24 Jun 19, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Rincelex
Apprentice Imagineer

This will be our second time in and out of Tampa. The lady at the car rental desk tried to get me to pay for a pass for the tolls but I told her that we didn't intend to go on any toll roads and she tried to tell me that there were some on the way over to Orlando but I had already researched the route and knew there wasn't. she then proceeded to tell me about fines if I went through and its your choice, so I just said I will be careful.

Guess what I was right we did not see or go near one toll road the entire two weeks we were there.
Rincelex is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 19, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
oeamon
Apprentice Imagineer

Tampa is a great airport and imho easier to navigate than most others. the only downside since last year is having to go on the shuttle train to the car rental facility. it only 5 minutes and really easy although not as easy as before when it was co located with terminal.
oeamon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List