Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 19 Aug 21, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
lovewdw
Apprentice Imagineer

I know I'm going to be in a minority, however I'm very open minded about this.

Last visit I used Fastpass extensively, booked all my park days at 60 days out (thanks to the 1 night camping dodge). It worked well but I had to plan what I was doing on every day of my holiday at least 2 months ahead to get those limited fast passes to minimise time in queues.

IMHO
The big change here isn't removing fast pass, its the change to on the day planning (which i can imagine was the bulk of complaints disney received regarding fastpass from casual visitors).

If people use the 'complementary' genie app, disney have enabled a way to distribute demand across all of the attractions, restaurants and experiences in realtime minimising wait times for everyone while removing the need to plan months in advance.

By deliberately limiting 'lightning' access through making it chargeable, standby lines will be shorter for all. Couple this with the app spreading demand more evenly I think this could work for the benefit of everyone.

Time will tell, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this.
lovewdw is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 21, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
trampslikeus
Apprentice Imagineer

Universal have been doing it for years, and people just accept it as a paid for benefit.
I am too tight to pay so just queue with my fellow tramps
trampslikeus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 21, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lovewdw View Post
I know I'm going to be in a minority, however I'm very open minded about this.

Last visit I used Fastpass extensively, booked all my park days at 60 days out (thanks to the 1 night camping dodge). It worked well but I had to plan what I was doing on every day of my holiday at least 2 months ahead to get those limited fast passes to minimise time in queues.

IMHO
The big change here isn't removing fast pass, its the change to on the day planning (which i can imagine was the bulk of complaints disney received regarding fastpass from casual visitors).

If people use the 'complementary' genie app, disney have enabled a way to distribute demand across all of the attractions, restaurants and experiences in realtime minimising wait times for everyone while removing the need to plan months in advance.

By deliberately limiting 'lightning' access through making it chargeable, standby lines will be shorter for all. Couple this with the app spreading demand more evenly I think this could work for the benefit of everyone.

Time will tell, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this.
I see where you are coming from on this , if it works then that's great but for me it's still a pain in the bum to have to be reliant on your phone all day to keep track of stuff, I'm not the best when it comes to technology and theres people who are much worse than me .
Also for me planning 180 days or 60 days in advance was part of the fun, I cant remember how many times I've been awake all night waiting to get up and book my fast pass, and the smug grin I had on my face all day when I got everything I wanted
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 21, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Picalily
Imagineer

Picalily's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We had our last trip to Disney in 2019, but never took my phone with me to the park and managed with the fast pass machines really well. This relies on you having a phone which I would really not be happy about.We just went to the counter for food and it was all very casual, now it's a military operation. Glad we can't afford to go anymore, we saw the best years.
Picalily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 21, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
lovewdw
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickeyspal View Post
I see where you are coming from on this , if it works then that's great but for me it's still a pain in the bum to have to be reliant on your phone all day to keep track of stuff, I'm not the best when it comes to technology and theres people who are much worse than me .
I guess the hope is, if enough people use it so it manages to smooth the demand out you would still benefit from reduced standby line waits.

Originally Posted by mickeyspal View Post
Also for me planning 180 days or 60 days in advance was part of the fun, I cant remember how many times I've been awake all night waiting to get up and book my fast pass, and the smug grin I had on my face all day when I got everything I wanted
Me too, but I feel in reality we were gaming the system.
lovewdw is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 21, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Jo
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KBRB View Post
OK I threw my toys this morning and contacted Disney directly using an email i had from previous complaint i will report back with the response. Just to note last time i did this they actually phoned me to hear the issues.

I think im going though the 5 stages with this.

Denial "they wont do it"

Anger "they have done it im not going back!"

Bargaining "maybe uk guests will get some kind of package"

depression "time to book of site Disney hates me"

and acceptance.

In all honesty while i get this isnt Disney's problem my DS is disabled as a result cant ride alot of the higher tier rides. Its dawned on me that his mum and i would use fp+ to go on rides he cant and swap out keeping is time waiting for us to a minimum.

Now i have a choice of standing in lines for hours while he has to sit and wait which probably isnt an option or stump up the fee.

Im gutted but i cant see how i can work around this short of not going or just accepting the costs.
My DD is also disabled and in previous visits we have used the DAS pass but always ensured we also have 3 fastpasses booked. Has there been any news on how the DAS system will work alongside this or is it being taken away? Sorry to ask I just haven't seen anything yet and been trying to read through the forums to find out.
August 2018 - Villa at Oak Island Community
December 2021 - Art of Animation Cars Suite
Disney Jo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 21, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
aprilshack
Imagineer

So this is just rides and not adr or savis? They can still be booked 60 days in advance?
aprilshack is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 21, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Like many others, I feel this will mean that staying on-site has no real benefit now. We’ve booked 5 nights on-site for next year, with a one person £50 deposit for now, direct with Disney. I’m pleased we only booked 5 nights now as I would prefer to spend the money on an offsite stay and explore Universal and other attractions in Florida that we’ve not been to on previous trips. I feel it will be our last trip to Florida however as the extra charges puts it out of our budget.

I also feel it’s sneaky to make the announcements after tempting people with the offers for the 50th celebrations. We booked as it looked exciting to return for the 50th with an on-site stay and, hopefully, the return of on-site perks. Sadly, there seems to be no perks of staying on-site and simply a huge charge added to the price we’ve budgeted for.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 21, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
nth09
Apprentice Imagineer

nth09's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Picalily View Post
We had our last trip to Disney in 2019, but never took my phone with me to the park and managed with the fast pass machines really well. This relies on you having a phone which I would really not be happy about.We just went to the counter for food and it was all very casual, now it's a military operation. Glad we can't afford to go anymore, we saw the best years.
Interesting that you comment on the best years. For me the best years were the era of paper fast pass. The only “long” term planning was which park on which day. Other that that you just got there at rope drop went fast pass to fast pass (personal record was 9 in a day) and didn’t have to pay extra.
nth09 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 21, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Interesting to see if this has any impact on sales. Strangely I doubt it, the appeal is too strong and I suspect that the additional costs will just be paid.
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List