Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 25 Jun 19, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
goldendelicious
Proud to wear my Ears

Full Size SUV Alamo MCO

Just back and thought we'd share our experience.
Arrived at the garage having done OLCI and STC and proceeded to the fullsize SUV row to be accosted by one of the alamo staff who checked our paperwork and informed us there we're only 2 FS suvs left and all the other cars on the row Ford Expeditions we're premium SUVs and would be charged extra Strangely all the cars on the row where locked
so he went to get keys for the 2 available ones both Infinity QX80s wasn't keen at first as we thought they just wanted us to take the smaller cars but after arguing the point for 10 mins we took one of the Infinity's which I must say turned out to be very nice full leather,sat nav,only 5k on the clock.Just seemed strange to not be able to choose anything on the row has anyone else found this maybe it's normal for the larger cars(we've only had smaller ones before)
goldendelicious is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
99plums
Imagineer

The Expedition’s would only be Premium SUV’s if it was the old model EL version or the new model MAX version. They are the longer wheel base versions. The standard Expedition is a Full Size SUV.

Edited at 06:00 PM.
99plums is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
goldendelicious
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by 99plums View Post
The Expedition’s would only be Premium SUV’s if it was the old model EL version or the new model MAX version. They are the longer wheel base versions. The standard Expedition is a Full Size SUV.
Suppose they did look quite long so probably the max version all looked very new ,still shouldn't have been on the fullsize lane though
luckily we were more than happy with what we got just wondered if that was the norm to not get a choice.
goldendelicious is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
99plums
Imagineer

Mobile

They do have all the keys in the hut and the staff do suggest what to take but you can still ask for something different from the row. I think the QX80 is technically a Luxury SUV, so an upgrade on the Premium he said you couldn’t have!🤔
99plums is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
SteveC
VIP Dibber

We arrived Saturday and the lady at the desk went inside and brought one key out which was for a Nissan Armada. I asked if they had anything American and she said not, just Armadas. I didn’t argue the point as hadn’t tried one before so was happy enough. Immediately waked past a few Ford Expeditions but they were in the Premium SUV section and there was also a Chevy Tahoe which I guess I could have gone back and asked for before I came across my Armada and several others.

Drives very nicely, is very comfortable and no complaints at all about it other than would have been nice to have something with Apple CarPlay.

I was aware from reading posts on here that you don’t get to pick your own full size SUVs but when we’re back in a few weeks I will ask for a Tahoe as soon as I arrive and see what happens rather than be brought something they allocate as it was clear she didn’t fancy going back in the office for something else.
SteveC is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
We arrived Saturday and the lady at the desk went inside and brought one key out which was for a Nissan Armada. I asked if they had anything American and she said not, just Armadas. I didn’t argue the point as hadn’t tried one before so was happy enough. Immediately waked past a few Ford Expeditions but they were in the Premium SUV section and there was also a Chevy Tahoe which I guess I could have gone back and asked for before I came across my Armada and several others.

Drives very nicely, is very comfortable and no complaints at all about it other than would have been nice to have something with Apple CarPlay.

I was aware from reading posts on here that you don’t get to pick your own full size SUVs but when we’re back in a few weeks I will ask for a Tahoe as soon as I arrive and see what happens rather than be brought something they allocate as it was clear she didn’t fancy going back in the office for something else.
Can you not walk along the line and pick what you want and ask for the keys to that vehicle?
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
devito92
Looking for my Ears

I've downloaded the Virgin Holidays app which clearly states which car I've hired. In my case it states ( with a photo ) Ford Expedition or similar (full size SUV) 4 door. If they try to offer me something different or not to my liking, I will show them my booking. "just get me one of these please" no arguing just what I've paid for. simple!
devito92 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by devito92 View Post
I've downloaded the Virgin Holidays app which clearly states which car I've hired. In my case it states ( with a photo ) Ford Expedition or similar (full size SUV) 4 door. If they try to offer me something different or not to my liking, I will show them my booking. "just get me one of these please" no arguing just what I've paid for. simple!
"or similar" is the key part. an Armada is similar, same number of seats and similar sized therefore in the same hire car group class.
Las Vegas 18 - Florida 18 -Holland 18 -Bratislava 18 -Florida 17 -Holland 17 -Rhodes 17 - Kos 17 - France 16-Belgium 16-Holland 16-Germany 16-Sopot Poland 15-Kos 15-DLP SQL 15-Hampton Lakes 14-Hamburg 14- Berlin 13-WestRidge Villas 12-Krakow 12-France 11-Turkey 11-Germany 10-Marbella 10-Jamaica 09-Dublin 09-Dublin 08-Paris 08-Zante Villa 08-Egypt 2008-Rhodes 2008-Sweden 08-Norway 08-Rhodes 07- Huatulco Mexico 07-DLP Magic Circus 2007-Dublin 2007-Sweden 07-Greece 06/05/04-Barcelona 04-Rhodes 02
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
devito92
Looking for my Ears

Agreed "similar" is the key part, however if there's an Expedition there I will expect to be offered one, not be told it's a premium SUV only like the OP above.
devito92 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by devito92 View Post
Agreed "similar" is the key part, however if there's an Expedition there I will expect to be offered one, not be told it's a premium SUV only like the OP above.
Technically speaking.. you need to be checking the car class group code on the front windscreen to see what Alamo have classed the car as.

An Expedition would fall into the Full Size group, however if they are Expedition MAX models, these are classed as Premium SUV's and wll be indicated by the code on the windscreen.

Just ensure you get your facts together and do your home work if you are to challenge them in the garage.
Las Vegas 18 - Florida 18 -Holland 18 -Bratislava 18 -Florida 17 -Holland 17 -Rhodes 17 - Kos 17 - France 16-Belgium 16-Holland 16-Germany 16-Sopot Poland 15-Kos 15-DLP SQL 15-Hampton Lakes 14-Hamburg 14- Berlin 13-WestRidge Villas 12-Krakow 12-France 11-Turkey 11-Germany 10-Marbella 10-Jamaica 09-Dublin 09-Dublin 08-Paris 08-Zante Villa 08-Egypt 2008-Rhodes 2008-Sweden 08-Norway 08-Rhodes 07- Huatulco Mexico 07-DLP Magic Circus 2007-Dublin 2007-Sweden 07-Greece 06/05/04-Barcelona 04-Rhodes 02
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List