Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Aug 19, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
HR experts ... handing in notice today whilst boss on annual leave.

Bit of a nightmare one this, ive looked online and it’s a bit of a minefield. I work on a concession in an outlet store and this week whilst I was on annual leave I was offered a job I am accepting. I return to work tomorrow so will give my 4 weeks notice then but my boss is on her 2 weeks annual leave from today. My quandary is who do I give my notice too? There is a supervisor who will be stepping up so I assume as she will be acting manager I would give it to her, I will ask her then to formally contact head office and tell them I will be leaving. I don’t want to part on bad terms as they have been good to me in past but I want the other job and I told them I will be available after my 4 weeks holiday notice... oh and I have only three weeks to work then on holiday again for a week I assume as this is honoured I can still take it? I also have extra holiday entitlement still to take our leave is jan to dec, I’ve still nearly two weeks to take of that too.
Hope this all makes sense my heads spinning a bit. Thanks xx
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I’m not sure you’d still have two weeks of leave to take, as obviously you are leaving part way through your leave year so it would end up being pro-rata, sometimes if you have a lot of leave an employer will allow you to have that as part of your notice period, or may agree to pay you. You’d have to speak to your HR.

I’d hand your notice in formally to your manager (which for the purposes of this week will be your supervisor) as well as cc a copy to your HR department. It shouldn’t matter that your manager is on leave, you can still carry on.
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

However before doing anything do you have in WRITING a contract or something from the other job detailing you have the position? Without anything in writing from them I'd not do anything until such time.
Old 3 Aug 19, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Do5-BaG
Very Serious Dibber

Hand it to you supervisor as they are stepping up to offer cover for your Manager while on leave, they should be briefed with what procedure to follow but I'd imagine they will send it onto HR and they will handle it.

Personally I wouldn't worry about this, as long as you are following procedure and company policy.

As someone has pointed out above, regarding your new role/job, have you received this formally in an e-mail / letter / contract? If not I'd wait until you have that in hand to avoid jumping the gun, I've seen many people put notices in after a verbal offering, only for this to be pulled and never materialize leaving them in a bad position as usually your employer would have the ball rolling for job adverts or may have even signed up a new employee to replace you.

Holiday entitlement / pay really depends on your contract / employer, if you have anything remaining come the end of your employment some companies will just include whatever holiday pay is remaining onto your final payslip, some companies though will not do this as they will state that to receive Holiday pay then it must be taken as a Holiday (away from work) or it will be lost when your changeover / new year begins.

Edited at 11:03 AM.
Do5-BaG is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post

If your boss is in today, I would call her today rather than wait util Monday.

Otherwise, well I had somebody two levels below me resign to me because her manager, who reported to me, was on leave. I think this was appropriate, so I would look to resign to your bosses boss rather than a stand in.

Regarding your final week in which you have booked holiday, any decent employers would honour that but they don't have to legally, employers are allowed to cancel annual leave so long as they give sufficient notice (which they would have in this case).

Your annual leave will be pro-rated to reflect the portion of the year you have worked, are you sure you are going to have another two weeks, considering that you have just had a holiday and have another week booked, that must be a very large annual entitlement? Anyway whatever you have unused will be paid out to you unless they ask you to take it.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Thanks for your replies, the offer is a firm offer , I will have all the details for that at 1pm today. I’m still gonna be in same store but a different concession, this is allowed as loads of people do it. It’s a bit of a weird setup it’s a big store with lots of individual brands in it , I always describe it as I’m a shop in a shop lol. I am employed in that store by a separate company with 5 staff who are then in contact with the company daily. It’s a small concern family run business who are very nice so I don’t want to leave on bad terms I just don’t want to work on that concession anymore as I’ve gotten bored as it’s a very quiet department... the irony is though in a few weeks it will get crazy busy but the department I’m moving to is constantly busy... I hate going into work and having nowt to do.
If boss was here it would’ve been so much easier but she’s currently sat on a plane lol, I couldn’t contact her sooner as I have been away and it’s only just been confirmed.
To be fair I’ve seen people here come and go at drop of a hat but I want to do it properly and above board, I don’t just want to say I’m quitting, give shortest amount of notice and leave em in lurch which seems to happen a lot in this store as a whole.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
If your boss is in today, I would call her today rather than wait util Monday.

Otherwise, well I had somebody two levels below me resign to me because her manager, who reported to me, was on leave. I think this was appropriate, so I would look to resign to your bosses boss rather than a stand in.

Regarding your final week in which you have booked holiday, any decent employers would honour that but they don't have to legally, employers are allowed to cancel annual leave so long as they give sufficient notice (which they would have in this case).

Your annual leave will be pro-rated to reflect the portion of the year you have worked, are you sure you are going to have another two weeks, considering that you have just had a holiday and have another week booked, that must be a very large annual entitlement? Anyway whatever you have unused will be paid out to you unless they ask you to take it.
I have 6 weeks holiday a year January to December I’ve only taken about half of that , i have a week in October as well as the week end of this month honoured and still have 8 hours left... I work 8 hours a week.
Old 3 Aug 19, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
TGT
Imagineer

I've been a manager and was always pragmatic about it (not everyone is) and do everything I could to allow them to leave asap. To be honest - all you have to do is (a) walk away (b) call in sick and there's no notice to work anyway. They should prorata your holiday and let you have that prior (unless business prevents that - if there's no one else to do it, but again, if you called in sick they'd have to deal with it).

If you have to give 4 weeks notice (and are happy to do so) do that - your last week's holiday should be honoured. If you had say another week you should be able to get out in 2 weeks (or sooner if more than a week to go). While you are contracted to a 4 week notice period I've never heard of an employer suing an employee for walking off the job and never returning (might happen, but I've never come across it) and you're not doing that.

The supervisor is stepping up - that's who you give your notice to. If they wanted to make you redundant tomorrow they would...your only loyalty is to you. I say this as a 20 year HR-Payroll manager. As an employee I would do the best I could for a smooth transition, as a manager what's best for you is the most important thing. As I say, though, it's not the way all managers/bosses are, but life's too short.

Di Gorton
http://www.villasoutherndunes.com

Villa Southern Dunes

Modern Disney-themed villa in the Southern Dunes golf community * Private heated west-facing pool * Sleeps 10* Room for all with sofa, dining & poolside seating for 10 * 2 ensuite doubles (king & queen) * 2 Disney-themed twins * 2 Lounges * 7 Flatscreen TVs * Great games room & amazing dressing up rail

Click >here< to see our Dibb Advert
Email: info@villasoutherndunes.com Florida State License: DWE6312923

TGT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Edna Cloud
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Megandllsmum View Post
I have 6 weeks holiday a year January to December I’ve only taken about half of that , i have a week in October as well as the week end of this month honoured and still have 8 hours left... I work 8 hours a week.
So, if you work 8 hours per week, your annual leave allowance would be 48 hours. If you work there until the end of August, your allowance would be eight twelfths of that, so 32 hours (i.e. four weeks). How much leave have you already taken up to this point? That will tell you whether you are "owed" anything.

EC
Edna Cloud is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Originally Posted by TGT View Post
I've been a manager and was always pragmatic about it (not everyone is) and do everything I could to allow them to leave asap. To be honest - all you have to do is (a) walk away (b) call in sick and there's no notice to work anyway. They should prorata your holiday and let you have that prior (unless business prevents that - if there's no one else to do it, but again, if you called in sick they'd have to deal with it).

If you have to give 4 weeks notice (and are happy to do so) do that - your last week's holiday should be honoured. If you had say another week you should be able to get out in 2 weeks (or sooner if more than a week to go). While you are contracted to a 4 week notice period I've never heard of an employer suing an employee for walking off the job and never returning (might happen, but I've never come across it) and you're not doing that.

The supervisor is stepping up - that's who you give your notice to. If they wanted to make you redundant tomorrow they would...your only loyalty is to you. I say this as a 20 year HR-Payroll manager. As an employee I would do the best I could for a smooth transition, as a manager what's best for you is the most important thing. As I say, though, it's not the way all managers/bosses are, but life's too short.
Thankyou, my manager is a lovely manager I have been lucky, then again I’ve known my new manager a long time too and she too is lovely.
Because she’s been nice I don’t want to quit under a cloud , she’s not the problem or the reason I want to leave. I do have to put my family life high up in my decisions and this new post fits in better with that too. My OH said same give my notice to my supervisor as she’s stepping up, I’m going to address it to manager, supervisor and owner of my concession then I suppose I’ve covered all bases? Thanks again