Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 29 Dec 17, 12:24 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile, data etc, what to do abroad?

I'm with EE, will be using Uber in Florida so need data on my phone.

Currently with EE. Was going to use a 3 sim but have seen a few posts on here that says it doesn't work properly. Also I don't think my phone is unlocked to other networks, no idea how that works tbh.

What would you recommend? I'd like decent data in case the WiFi is hit and miss and for when we need picking up from somewhere other than a park or our resort.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 17, 12:30 AM  
Link to this Post
CookieMonster54
Excited about Disney

You could call EE and ask them if you could upgrade to a max plan that includes roaming in America.
CookieMonster54 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 17, 12:34 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by CookieMonster54 View Post
You could call EE and ask them if you could upgrade to a max plan that includes roaming in America.
I've had a quick look online, it's £4.80 a day! Would be about £100 for 3 weeks.
Old 29 Dec 17, 12:37 AM  
Link to this Post
CookieMonster54
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by HarryJPotter View Post
I've had a quick look online, it's £4.80 a day! Would be about £100 for 3 weeks.
If you upgrade to an EE max plan you won’t be paying that as the roaming is included in your contract and you would only have to pay a little bit more per month
CookieMonster54 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 17, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. Are you due an upgrade/renewal to your EE contract?

My Wife was but also wanted to keep her phone. She went to Sim only for a 12 month, upgraded to the Max and is paying a lot less than before.

The Max is awesome value for the US. Free calls all day plus about two thirds of your contracted data allowance for the month
We used a bit of data but it was great not to worry about phone call costs.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 17, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
I’ve got an EE Max plan sim only for £14 a month and includes use in America with my plan. Phone them up to see what they can do.
Old 29 Dec 17, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
OP. Are you due an upgrade/renewal to your EE contract?

My Wife was but also wanted to keep her phone. She went to Sim only for a 12 month, upgraded to the Max and is paying a lot less than before.

The Max is awesome value for the US. Free calls all day plus about two thirds of your contracted data allowance for the month
We used a bit of data but it was great not to worry about phone call costs.
Damn, I upgraded last month! I needed a new phone as well as my old one wouldn't update anymore.
Old 29 Dec 17, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Hi- pretty sure that EE includes roaming now, most of the major networks do. (Unless this is just Europe?)
Assume you just have to let them know. Failing that- my son used the 3 SIM last year (before most providers changed to free roaming) and it worked brilliantly.
I would check with EE and then if for some reason now, go with Three👍

Edited at 09:10 PM.
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 17, 11:56 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Floridarules View Post
Hi- pretty sure that EE includes roaming now, most of the major networks do. (Unless this is just Europe?)
Assume you just have to let them know. Failing that- my son used the 3 SIM last year (before most providers changed to free roaming) and it worked brilliantly.
I would check with EE and then if for some reason now, go with Three👍
Good to hear 3 worked well, I've seen mixed reviews although many have said it's ok on the American network (can't remember the name now) rather than T mobile. I don't think my phone is currently ooen to other networks though, is this something that can be changed?
Old 30 Dec 17, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Dan Horrocks
Getting Excited

Mobile

Originally Posted by HarryJPotter View Post
Good to hear 3 worked well, I've seen mixed reviews although many have said it's ok on the American network (can't remember the name now) rather than T mobile. I don't think my phone is currently ooen to other networks though, is this something that can be changed?
If you bought your phone (pay monthly?) direct from EE this page should show you your unlock options

ee/help/help-new/gettin...nother-network

Looks like a £9 cost if you’re still in contract or free if you’re out of contract!