Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Jul 19, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
paulfoel
Imagineer

Anyone ever shipped a case home instead of paying for additional bag?

£70 with BA for an extra bag (50lb max)

I see with mybaggage.com you could ship a suitcase weighing up to 66lb for £100...

Problem we've got is smaller car these days so it wont all fit possibly coming home. We were considering two one way car hires to airport anyway (prob cost more than paying for car parking)
paulfoel is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Don't forget you might be liable for import fees on the bag + admin fee levied by the main carriers.

Obviously you would declare the actual luggage at £nil but the import fees and taxes are due on shipping costs, too.

I don't think it's worth it for the extra hassle. You don't really save much. Just put the extra bag on someones lap on the way home!

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
martyn321
Very Serious Dibber

I did it a few years ago and we used sendmybag.com. And was very happy with the service. We put all the stuff we didnt care as much about in it and kept our more valuable items to take onto the flight home as normal.

When we did it, they email you a form you need to fill out with whats in the case (so youll need access to a printer if your doing it out there) for customes purposes. You will need to buy a tough pouch to cable tie it onto the case so it can be got at.

They arranaged for a local courier to pick it up (if staying at a hotel MAKE SURE they are aware its a suitcase being sent, our courier came and said he was picking up a package, so the reception staff said they didnt have any, this was easily sorted out online with the couriers own help center).

We didnt get any import fee;s etc.

The tracking information was spot on, we watched our case go to about 3 different countries, i think the whole thing took approx' 5 days from sending to being dropped of by a UK courier.

I would 100% do this again if need be.
martyn321 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
paulfoel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by catherinesian View Post
Don't forget you might be liable for import fees on the bag + admin fee levied by the main carriers.

Obviously you would declare the actual luggage at £nil but the import fees and taxes are due on shipping costs, too.

I don't think it's worth it for the extra hassle. You don't really save much. Just put the extra bag on someones lap on the way home!
Yeh the import fee puts me off a bit. Of course, if its a bag you take with you on the plane, as long as you're below the limit, then you just stroll through customs no hassle.

I just don't want to have to argue when they're trying to charge me for my old socks and bundies when they open the case up on the way home!
paulfoel is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
nanu
Imagineer

Don't forget that your travel insurance may not cover the case being shipped home, you probably will have to take out an extra cover with the shipper. Always worth reading the small print.
1988 New York Penta & Orl. Radisson Maingate 1990 Orl. Marriott I-Drive, Premier Cruise & Cocoa Beach Hilton 1997 Orl. La Suites I-Drive 2002 Orl. Port Orleans Riverside 2006 Las Vegas Luxor 2007 Orl. Port Orleans French Quarter 2010 Orl. Windsor Palms villa 2012 Orl. Rolling Hills villa & RPR Universal 2015 Orl. Indian Creek villa & Naples Bay Resort 2017 Orl. Highlands Reserve villa 2018 Barefoot Beach Resort & Orl. Highgate Park villa
nanu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
bigsis3
Excited about Disney

We did it last year for the first time..went to local library in Haines City to print labels..courier picked up case from Villa and all went according to plan..unfortunately we got charged £30 duty as my other half put a pair of brand new Levi’s in the case 😤...
bigsis3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
florida_2012
Excited about Disney

Mobile

My plan is to leave some clothes behind to take any new purchases home. So we'll be lighter by using up all the suncream, shower gels and shampoos. I plan to take oldish beach towels so we can leave them behind at the end. Also at the end of the summer kids clothes which are no longer needed will not be taken back. More room to bring back the things we want.
May not be enough room for you but worth considering.
florida_2012 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
pezilla
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Were trying to work out the logistics of the lightsabre hubs wants to buy at g.e that's going to be an interesting one to get home
Old 16 Jul 19, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
martyn321
Very Serious Dibber

Maybe we where lucky with the customs fee's? or maybe they just thought, what the hell is this! ours was full of used clothes, garden ornamental chicken and tiki torch, baking products, truck and gun magazines and all sorts of other random stuff!
martyn321 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
paulfoel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by nanu View Post
Don't forget that your travel insurance may not cover the case being shipped home, you probably will have to take out an extra cover with the shipper. Always worth reading the small print.
Of course - you can specify insurance coverage...