Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 24 Nov 18, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MinnieMrsA View Post
Thank you - we know we are incredibly lucky to have the life that we do and we just wanted to give back! Xx
Again, amazing. xx
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 18, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Irishlass
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Not here. We donate to a homeless charity and childrens home throughout the year without handing over any cash, we buy them useful necessities instead so we know that those in need are actually able to benefit from the items instead of lining the pockets of those who claim to be helping. We don't need a special occasion to use the charity excuse for not buying cards or gifts. Again, it's used too easily these days and how do I know that donation has been made?

Charity begins at home these days and I'd rather buy my family and friends gifts and keep the tradition of Christmas and Christmas cards going instead of being a sheep and following the trends and excuses not to buy gifts, cards etc.

I'd rather see the smiles on my families faces, see the excitement and make some lovely memories and have photos of us all opening gifts than nothing, as I've learned this past year, we may not have another chance to do so, so this Christmas I'll be spending even more than usual but still within my budget as who knows what can happen tomorrow. We've learnt the hard way that our loved ones aren't with us forever and that making those memories and having fun may not happen as someone else may not be here, so we're Making this Christmas even more special and having a few family get togethers to spend time with each other. We dont buy gifts throughout the year so this is the one time we can and do.
And the gifts we have been given last year will be treasured even more so now as 2 of those givers are longer with us.
Irishlass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 18, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Irishlass View Post
Not here. We donate to a homeless charity and childrens home throughout the year without handing over any cash, we buy them useful necessities instead so we know that those in need are actually able to benefit from the items instead of lining the pockets of those who claim to be helping. We don't need a special occasion to use the charity excuse for not buying cards or gifts. Again, it's used too easily these days and how do I know that donation has been made?

Charity begins at home these days and I'd rather buy my family and friends gifts and keep the tradition of Christmas and Christmas cards going instead of being a sheep and following the trends and excuses not to buy gifts, cards etc.

I'd rather see the smiles on my families faces, see the excitement and make some lovely memories and have photos of us all opening gifts than nothing, as I've learned this past year, we may not have another chance to do so, so this Christmas I'll be spending even more than usual but still within my budget as who knows what can happen tomorrow. We've learnt the hard way that our loved ones aren't with us forever and that making those memories and having fun may not happen as someone else may not be here, so we're Making this Christmas even more special and having a few family get togethers to spend time with each other. We dont buy gifts throughout the year so this is the one time we can and do.
And the gifts we have been given last year will be treasured even more so now as 2 of those givers are longer with us.
Sorry I hope I did not give the impression we only give to Charity once a year. Also I don't believe that we have to give because our families are not here forever, presents don't really last its love and making the effort of just being there is far better than any present.
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x

Edited at 08:08 PM.
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 18, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
mandevillepete
Apprentice Imagineer

Not quite the same but each year one of my childrens’ presents is I pay for a homeless person to have a Christmas dinner, a haircut etc and bed for the night. We also donate by direct debit each month to certain charities but my kids are very lucky and this helps them realise that others are not always quite as fortunate

Edited at 08:36 PM.
mandevillepete is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 18, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Irishlass View Post

We too, still enjoy the buying and giving, and yes - getting presents from each other and family on Christmas day. I also still enjoy sending cards. Each to their own, but as we donate to local charities each month, and I help out in a charity shop each week, I feel happy about the way we celebrate Christmas.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure & POR Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 18, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Irishlass
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nicksgirl View Post
Sorry I hope I did not give the impression we only give to Charity once a year. Also I don't believe that we have to give because our families are not here forever, presents don't really last its love and making the effort of just being there is far better than any present.
Not the case for us, we take the time to think about what gifts we buy each other, and theres also something meaningful behind them too. And they're not always bought, sometimes they're made. Our gifts always last and hold special memories for us. We make the effort every day to spend time with each other, be it visiting relatives once a week, some on a daily basis, some twice a week.

For example, 5 years ago I received a knitted Aran from my aunt, hours of skill and love went into making it and I've lovely memories of her beforehand sizing it up for me etc. Well she's no longer with us after dying very suddenly this month. That Aran will bed with me for the rest of my lifecand will be very much treasured, just like the scarf and mittens she made me last year, and the little blankets and cardigans she made for my nephew due next year. They'll be kept in our family for generations.

Little ornaments or teddies that the children buy me will stay here for many years to come, just like the ones I have displayed from previous years.

We appreciate every gift that we receive, it doesn't mean any less as we know that thought is put into buying or making each gift and we have many many gifts that hold special memories, or fond stories about them.

My niece is 27 years old now and still has a favourite childhood toy that she remember her granny buying her one year. Another niece is 30 and has 2 lego sets from 1994 that she has kept as she has fond memories sitting for hours on end making them with her granda who bought them for her.

You don't have to spend time with someone to make memories. Memories are made in many many different ways.
Irishlass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 18, 07:23 AM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

No.

I don’t really get how giving to charity and the trade off been no Christmas presents/cards go hand in hand. I don’t really see the link tbh.

If you think your friends didn’t put as much effort into gift giving as you did then perhaps that’s your primary reason for stopping and it’s perfectly reasonable one.

It’s an individual choice but like I said, I don’t necessarily see how and why the two go hand in hand.
Old 25 Nov 18, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

We give to charity throughout the year (cancer and children’s charities). This year, we are ‘downgrading’ Christmas. Present buying is just immediate family (DDs and OH) and we’ve set a maximum. I am so fed up of the Christmas hype and the stress of buying presents and thinking about what to get, plus I have my 3 DD’s and OH’s birthdays straight after Christmas that I decided to take a different approach this year. Added to that, my DDs’ dad died at Christmas and we struggle to make it a time for celebration. Maybe we’ll recapture the magic in time but not this year.
Old 25 Nov 18, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

I only buy presents for my Dad, my 2 children and my 2 youngest nieces, the people that I love the most. My brothers don't need things so yes I love them but us adults don't need off each other.
I do love opening the presents off my children.
I don't believe Christmas is about presents for extended family or friends but maybe that's how I was brought up.
I give to Macmillan and my local hospice monthly all year round because they are close to my heart.
Do what is right for you as we are all so different 😁
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 18, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
DH and I dont give to charity as such (I do Guide dogs for the blind monthly and we do Children in need etc) but we do go to the Giving Tree at Bluewater.

You pick a tag - a childs name and age are all you get - and you just have to buy something you think is suitable.

You hand it it to a central point and they wrap it etc.

This easily gives us the most buying pleasure at Xmas!
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List