Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 16 Nov 18, 02:23 AM  
Link to this Post
barber2384
Excited about Disney

We are looking to go again... but differently this time

So I randomly decided to have a google the other night to see what is the cheapest way to be able to go again. We only came back from our on site holiday in May and I had thought before about what if we just went and did Discovery cove and Seaworld and then looked for other things that Florida has to other. So after a bit of research I can managed to find 11 nights (due to the maximum time i can get off work for that period) with flights direct using Norwegian Air (has anyone used them before) from Gatwick (including hold baggage and seat reservations) and then accomodation in the Avanti hotel on I Drive, for a total of £687 per person (just two adults going btw). This is at the end of September 2019 into the beginning of October.

Do people agree that it is a fantastic price?

Any suggestions on experiences that we could do that are worth while?

We have already done the Orlando Eye, Madam Tussauds and Sea Life. As well as having been to Miami and Clearwater Beach
Sept/Oct 19 Avanti Palms and Art of Animation
barber2384 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 18, 06:32 AM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

I understand you wanting to see what else Florida has to offer but how are you going to do that without a car?
Old 16 Nov 18, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
barber2384
Excited about Disney

To be honest, we have never needed a car as we have always found a way whether it is a booked excursion, using I-ride trolley or via Uber. On previous trips I have always been under 25 so hiring a car is so much more expensive that I’ve never considered it. I turn 25 this December however so would consider it if I really need it.
barber2384 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 18, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Other than NY of SF I would never be without a car in the USA, if I had first gone to Orlando I would probably not have gone back again until I had kids. The keys, Miami, and Kennedy are all great and I think far nicer than orlando with out the parks no one would go there.

just a thought what about seeing what the US has to offer you can get flights to LAX for less than Orlando and the West Coast and surrounding states are just so much nicer and more interesting than Orlando and I would argue Florida as whole
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 18, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Johngela13
Trainee Dibber

Yes I think this is an excellent deal. If you are now considering a car though, then I would look at BA holidays. We returned from Orlando last month having done the same weeks as you, 2 adults - except we also got @ mustang convertible included. We stayed at Rosen Pointe for 15 nights, flights from Edinburgh to MCO via Gatwick (no Heathrow Gatwick change thank goodness) plus mustang for gbp 2100.

Regarding things to do: we enjoyed:
Halloween Horror Nights
Mickeys Not So Scary Halloween party
Airboat ride at Wild Florida
Universal
Disc Cove (no dolphin swim as have done it before)
Sea World
Busch Gardens
Lazy pool days at the hotel
Melbourne beach (prefer gulf coast but wanted to avoid red tide risk)
Disney springs

We did not do (but have done previously or is still on to do list)
Disney parks requiring normal tickets
Kennedy
Kelly springs
Rock springs
Celebration
State parks
Other areas of Florida; Naples, keys, Everglades

Enjoy xxxx
Johngela13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 18, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
bennyboy0751
VIP Dibber

we never use a car we get around a lot faster we bus to disney from idrive and sea world too but taxi too universal no probs so cheap also itrolley we use uber for late evenings at disney too
bennyboy0751 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 18, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

We have only been 3 times and twice we stayed onsite Disney, so I am not an expert and will say others on here know better than I on this. But I don’t know if you do necessarily need a car. Uber/Lyft are both so simple and cheap there. We used them for airport transfers for our off-site stay, and have used them for shopping trips. Always found them a great option. Plus, i-drive has the trolley buses. I believe there is free transportation from International Drive to Busch Gardens, and trips can be booked to Clearwater, KSC and Tampa.

It’s a good time of year to go as if you did want to have a little Disney or Universal time, you could book Halloween party tickets.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 18, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
k100dmk
Very Serious Dibber

if you're going to do parks and shopping then a car 100% isn't needed and works out more expensive than just using other transport but if you're looking to go further out then a car would definitely work out cheaper than paying for an excursion. on our last trip we stayed onsite and used the car about 5 times, the cost of the car hire was almost £400 and im sure it wouldn't have cost us $520 in uber fares to do it.

if staying offsite and parking at disney or universal then the parking fee is almost as much as the cost of an uber. People say they like the freedom but I don't see the point unless you are travelling around quite a bit, on previous trips we have been to the beach etc and also had more in our party so the cost worked out a lot cheaper but for 2 people doing parks i think you will struggle to justify the cost of car hire when you work out the cost per trip you actually use it.
k100dmk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 18, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
barber2384
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
Other than NY of SF I would never be without a car in the USA, if I had first gone to Orlando I would probably not have gone back again until I had kids. The keys, Miami, and Kennedy are all great and I think far nicer than orlando with out the parks no one would go there.

just a thought what about seeing what the US has to offer you can get flights to LAX for less than Orlando and the West Coast and surrounding states are just so much nicer and more interesting than Orlando and I would argue Florida as whole
NY to California is our planned honeymoon for 2020

Can't wait for that!
Old 16 Nov 18, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
barber2384
Excited about Disney

We have been to swim with dolphins down in the keys as part of a trip to Miami and the Everglades 3 years ago so not fussed about doing it again. Clearwater we loved but we have seen it so not bothered about repeating ourselves. One thing we might look at is Daytona beach.

Has anyone done that?

I agree with a lot of the comments that it is easier and cheaper to get the odd uber to a random place then it is to hire a car. We went from Saratoga Springs to Orlando City return in May and that was a fair trek and only cost like $40, which was some much easier then driving and having to find parking etc.

Is Kennedy Space Center worth a visit?

We have always not bothered because we didn't think it was really our thing.