Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 26 Oct 21, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Brock
Excited about Disney

As to service costs, both vehicles have steering, suspension and brakes, which will require service. Plus, all of the engine wiring between the batteries, the controler and the motor.
I suspect that there will be a slight difference, if any, between electric and non-electric vehicles.
Brock is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 21, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

This is great. I would happily take a Tesla for my holiday as long as where I was staying had a charge point for it.

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 21, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Chris106
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Brock View Post
As to service costs, both vehicles have steering, suspension and brakes, which will require service. Plus, all of the engine wiring between the batteries, the controler and the motor.
I suspect that there will be a slight difference, if any, between electric and non-electric vehicles.
Plus the 30% increase in tyre wear.
Chris106 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 21, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
SteveC
VIP Dibber

Sometimes you don’t even need a proper car charging point. Cars spend so much time doing nothing that you can just plug it into the mains as we do with our Tesla when we go to our caravan in North Wales. Any electric you use going to the parks and elsewhere around Orlando would easily be topped up overnight and whenever else it’s idle.
SteveC is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 21, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Cabana Bay has Tesla charging points.
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 21, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

However, the saving is no engine servicing or gearbox servicing, or diffs, batteries do not need servicing so often, nor do electric motors as tgeyvare not so stressed
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 21, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

Originally Posted by steve@mac155.f View Post
With the events of the past 2 years and the cost of installing electric charging points in the US plus the high cost of electricity you probably won't see many villa owners installing them anytime soon but it will happen at some point, also remember that villa owners who do install them won't be doing it and not increasing their rental rates to include the cost of the extra electricity used.

Steve
How much is electricity costs in florida? I imagine not much worse than here? Most charge points you can monitor how much has been used and then just bill them based on that. Most parks and hotels also have charge points. There is also a Nema? (sp) outlet that I believe is used in the US, which a lot of properties have, or is much cheaper to get installed than an official charge point, and will do the job with the included tesla mobile units.

I have spent zero on servicing my tesla in its 2 and a bit years.
All tesla recommend is you change your cabin air filter every 2 years (3 years for an s&x), HEPA filter if you have one. Test your brake fluid every two years, and perhaps get your brakes cleaned every few years.

Brakes last significantly longer than an ICE car because of regen braking you hardly use them, they just end up getting corroded in the winter with the grit on the road if they are hardly used.

There is nothing to service with regards to wiring, the BMS or the motors themselves, if anything goes wrong with them you are covered under warranty.

Edited at 10:04 AM.
dan223 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 21, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

There’s a massive difference. Most servicing on a vehicle is for the engine and complex drive train with hundreds of lubricated moving parts- Tesla don’t have oil. They have motors directly driving the axels, they are much, much simpler mechanically.

In fact UK services are mainly a rip off, not something often done in the USA where they usually just go for an oil change, and when necessary brake fluid test etc.

A Tesla doesn’t hardly use its brakes, so they will last 100k miles. No oil, no spark plugs, massively less moving parts. The motors are non serviceable, and good for probably 1 million miles. The battery packs are doing 250k. There’s no service of wires, that’s like saying your TV needs a service.

So for example, I have a Tesla Model S. There is no service requirement at all, but on 2 years they say maybe have tbe coolant checked, a new aircon filter, tyre rotation, but no requirement to have it done- there’s no service book, no service light etc. I did have this done and it cost £200 but wouldn’t have bothered if it wasn’t on PCP. My wife’s XC40 has cost over £700 to follow manufactures recommended service in the same time frame.

Edited at 12:10 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List