Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Closed Thread

Old 25 Sep 16, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
hiddenmichelle
Excited about Disney

I agree it is worth a visit. My husband loves cars, but me and the kids (even though they are boys) not so much. It was fun and had some great photo ops! I am glad I went.
hiddenmichelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 16, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Just added this onto the "things to do list" as we're not doing Disney next year
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 16, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ilivehereorland View Post
Sorry, admit I was wrong, probably because I have zero interest in the speedway, thought it was further out. I did say I was guessing.

No need to be so rude about it though. I'm sure you know exactly how far everything that's 60 miles away from you is to the inch.
I too thought it was further than that and had to look at it on the map to check. I think it's because that last stretch from the speedway to the beach can easily take 20 minutes when it's busy (with all those traffic lights!), even though it is only 5-6 miles.

edit: I think we need an emoji for "I mean this in a friendly way!" or equivalent. Suspect they weren't trying to be rude but I've gotten myself into trouble on here a few times when I think I'm being funny or just straight down the line and people don't realise and are offended .

Edited at 02:11 PM.
fl-veteran is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 16, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Rawhide
Very Serious Dibber

Daytona Speedway is fantastic, especially if you do the Richard Petty racing experience- DS did it and couldn't stop smiling at being in the passenger seat doing 160mph.

Haven't been to the beach for a LONG time but remember it fondly.
Rawhide is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 16, 01:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopy78
Proud to wear my Ears

We went to Daytona Speedway last weekend and loved it. We took the 30 minute tour which stays on the track but there is also a 90 minute option. They've also recently moved the motoring hall of fame to there and that was really interesting too. We then went to Bubba Gumps on the sea front and that took us about 20 minutes to get there.
Loopy78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 16, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
mummynutt
Earning More Ears

Thanks everyone for your replies. Still trying to decide if it's worth taking the long drive out. Does anyone have any idea how much the trips are at the speedway? What else is on Daytona Beach?
Thanks
mummynutt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 16, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
mummynutt
Earning More Ears

Yeah I think if I we were going to do Daytona, we'd probably do the same, like the speedway 'am' and beach 'pm'.
Are you aware how much it is to visit the speedway and what else there is at the beach for kids? Driving on the beach sounds fab, is it a kinda route on the beach if you know what I mean LoL? THANKS
mummynutt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 16, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

You can find some things to do on the beach here:

daytonabeach/things-to-do/water/

There are loads of youtube videos of beach driving if you want to take a look - there are actual traffic 'lanes' in the sand.
fl-veteran is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 16, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

Mobile

I think it took us about 1.5 hour to get there. We drove down to Daytona Beach (5 mins) after for something to eat?
Old 12 Nov 16, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
masterchef
Excited about Disney

I'll tell you about an area of Daytona Beach even some of the posters who live in Florida don't know about.

There is a road called Beach Street, which is not on the beach but on the West bank of the Halifax river.

Located on the street are many restaurants, including Hamburger Marys, boutiques, antique shops etc. At one end is the Daytona Beach Marina with million dollar yachts and Chart House restaurant, which is an upmarket seafood steakhouse belonging to the Landrys chain. Close to the Marina is the Jackie Robinson Stadium, one of the most historic baseball stadiums in the USA. There is a riverside park with well manicured gardens and at the other end of the street from the Marina are some of the best motorcycle shops you will find including a large Indian Motorcycle franchise.

You might enjoy the street as an alternative to the beach. If you eat at one of the many restaurants you will certainly need half a day to look around.
masterchef is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread