Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Jun 19, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Butterbeer
Trying for More Ears

New car help

So I'm looking at changing my car and I'm a bit overwhelmed by the choice so trying to get advice from as many people as possible.

As a bit of background, I currently have a 7 year old Fiat 500, and am looking at getting a newer, bigger (not that that will be hard ) car, that's more suited to the type of driving I do. I drive around 20-30 miles a day for work (through a mix of country lanes and A and B roads), and then roughly every 3 or 4 weeks I do a 300 miles round trip up the motorway for the weekend to see family and friends (plus the driving I do whilst there). Although it is just me in the car for the majority of the time, it just feels too small and too rattly down the lanes and over potholes etc. It can be quite intimidating on the motorway in such a tiny car, and on long journeys it's just not particularly comfortable, and once you add another person or 2 in to the car, it feels like there's just no room for even my handbag!

So, like I said, I'm looking for something bigger, but I don't want loads bigger. I'm thinking perhaps between a Fiesta and Audi A3 type size. I'm looking at cars between 1 and 2 years old but am open to new too. I'd like it to be quite well equipped. Sat Nav, (or Apple CarPlay) is important, I'd quite like heated seats (I really struggle with the cold) and a reversing camera. These aren't an absolute must but I kind of want to go full high tech, as the best I have at the moment is bluetooth and a usb lead
I also would like it to have good fuel efficiency obviously.

I've been looking online at Audi's, Mazda's, Ford Fiesta's and Focus', Kia, Seat and loads more and I'm just overwhelmed with choice! There's not really any car supermarkets near me that I can go and explore, they all seem to be main dealers or tiny garages, which will be ok once I've narrowed down my options, but not so helpful now.
So does anybody have any recommendations of where to start? Or have a car this size that they'd recommend (or avoid!)? Thanks
Butterbeer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

i've got a mazda 6, and absolutely love it. it would probably be a bit big for you though, but the mazda 2 and 3 should be perfect (i usually get one as a loaner for when mine is being serviced)

the refreshed models they released in the last couple of years have good ICE/satnav systems (apple/andriod auto is an option too i believe)

i dont have heated seats in mine, so not sure if thats an option but i think they now come with reversing cameras as standard

fuel-wise, i have a diesel estate, so get between 30-50mpg depending on whether i'm commuting, or doing longer runs at higher speed. nottingham to manchester up the a50 i can easily get 45mpg+ the smaller petrol skyactiv models should be able to do that easily

i'm kinda hoping that mazda release an electric version of the 2 soon, as my current car is 5 years old and all paid off next month, and i want to keep it for longer journeys (and DJ related stuff) and get a small EV for the daily commute. although saying that, the new MG SUV EV thing looks really nice, so i might get me one of them
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
raven45678
Helping Minnie

I've got a mazda2 and it's a great car. Not sure if there is a version with all the gadgets you mention (mine doesn't have them but that doesn't mean anything as its 5 years old). But it's fun to drive and super reliable, with enough room for four. I do 32 miles/day commute and we go on a 300 mile round trip to visit relatives regularly in it, in comfort. Certainly worth considering, but obviously going and having a test drive is the best option.
raven45678 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
MillieMoo23
Getting Excited

I have a 2015 VW Polo Bluemotion and love it. Feels nippy for a small car, cheap to run and tax is only £20. Mine has heated seats, front and rear sensors. No sat nav, but just use my phone and attach it to the air vent. My mum has just bought a 68 plate VW, hers came with apple play which is brilliant, can also use as sat nav. Happy hunting
MillieMoo23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Sounds like a small crossover would be the best choice so that you can have that higher seating position and more road presence

Something like a Ford Ecoboost, Mazda CX-3, Hyundai Kona, Kia Stonic, Toyota C-HR, Honda HR-V.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Seat Arona - great value👍
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Have a look at DS3’s , love mine
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
jim jehosofat
Imagineer

Have a look at a Nissan Pulsar 1.2 petrol . The Tekna model comes with everything you're looking for and more, e.g. leather interior.
jim jehosofat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Another VW Polo driver. Mine is 2 years old and has everything on it except the heated seats.

I love it and I drive a similar commute as you! It feels solid but is easy to handle.

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FizzyWhip View Post
Have a look at DS3’s , love mine
I’m looking at DS3’s to replace my old corsa. Nice to hear they are good.

Some of the Kia’s seem to have quite a bit of the tech that you’ve mentioned when I’ve been looking but I have been looking at the sportier ones. And they also have a good warranty.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List