Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 10 Jan 21, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
TigerLily8
VIP Dibber

Help with Virgin Reward Ticket

Hello,

Just looking for some insight / advice after a strange phone call with Virgin this morning.

Early 2019 I opened a Virgin Reward + Credit card in the intention of collecting the bonus points, saving miles but also redeeming vouchers based on spend. After 12 months of having the card, I had a message on my account to say I had spent enough to earn a reward (upgrade or companion ticket, call to redeem etc.)

That was early last year but obviously there was nowhere to go last year and the first half of this year is looking dubious. We are getting married in April 2022 so thought we would use the voucher for our Honeymoon in Orlando April / May 2022. By my calculations this fell just outside of the 24 month window in which you are supposed to book the reward flight and make the outgoing journey. So I phoned Virgin this morning to clarify whether there had been any extension to this 24 month window give the current situation. I suspected there had been based on what I have read online but I just wanted to have this confirmed for my own peace of mind.

The lady who I spoke to informed me that I actually have two reward vouchers on my account (both for upgrade / companion tickets). Now obviously I am not complaining about this but I have no idea where this might have come from. Does anyone have any ideas? She said I earned this reward in Sept 2019, but this date does not stand out to me at all? Also there is nothing on my online statement to suggest I earned a reward in September - only in March 12 months after I opened the account.

She also said there had been no extension on the 24 month window for using these rewards. Yet, the expiry dates she has given me for both rewards just don't seem to add up? (Sept 2022 and Nov 2023).

Does anyone have any idea what might have happened here? The lady on the phone sounded like she just wasn't in the mood and I hate to pester as I know they are probably inundated with queries at the minute. I would really appreciate any help!
TigerLily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 21, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

I also opened my plus card in May 2019. I earned my first voucher in September 2019 (after spending 10k) and then my second one in May 2020 on the anniversary of my card opening (I believe as I had spent an additional 10k). The expiry dates of these two vouchers are September 2022 and May 2023 and I was told the expiry means 'book by' these dates, however, I wasn't entirely sure on that bit. I think yours sounds very similar to my situation.
Old 10 Jan 21, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
TigerLily8
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by loola30 View Post
I also opened my plus card in May 2019. I earned my first voucher in September 2019 (after spending 10k) and then my second one in May 2020 on the anniversary of my card opening (I believe as I had spent an additional 10k). The expiry dates of these two vouchers are September 2022 and May 2023 and I was told the expiry means 'book by' these dates, however, I wasn't entirely sure on that bit. I think yours sounds very similar to my situation.
Hi Loola

Thanks for your reply - they do sound very similar don't they! I think that must be the case for me too. Happy days either way!
TigerLily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 21, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

Without reading the exact T&C's of the credit card reward upgrade vouchers, would have hoped that Virgin would extend the validity of them, based on the fact practically none of us can travel at present. I think that as a general rule, the expiry date of such vouchers is actually a "book by" date - travel can take place in the future.

Certainly Virgin have extended Flying Club membership status expiry for a second six months, based on the fact we can't travel to earn Tier Points to maintain status.

The only Flying Club members who can maintain status at present are US members who have a tier-point earning credit card, so they can get the tier points without ever setting foot on an aircraft.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 21, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerLily8
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
Without reading the exact T&C's of the credit card reward upgrade vouchers, would have hoped that Virgin would extend the validity of them, based on the fact practically none of us can travel at present. I think that as a general rule, the expiry date of such vouchers is actually a "book by" date - travel can take place in the future.

Certainly Virgin have extended Flying Club membership status expiry for a second six months, based on the fact we can't travel to earn Tier Points to maintain status.

The only Flying Club members who can maintain status at present are US members who have a tier-point earning credit card, so they can get the tier points without ever setting foot on an aircraft.
There definitely has been some sort of extension on my window for booking as they just don’t add up! Which I am very pleased about.

I thought I had read somewhere that the outgoing flight must also be within the 24 month window, but I could have also imagined it!
Old 10 Jan 21, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

Originally Posted by TigerLily8 View Post
There definitely has been some sort of extension on my window for booking as they just don’t add up! Which I am very pleased about.

I thought I had read somewhere that the outgoing flight must also be within the 24 month window, but I could have also imagined it!
No, you're not imagining it - from the credit card Reward voucher T&C's (item 6).

You can spend your reward for up to 24 months from the date it’s issued. That means you have to have booked your flights and taken the outbound flight within those 24 months. You can take the return journey afterwards.

That said, given that we have been unable to fly for circa 9 months now, I would expect them to be flexible. As always with Virgin, it depends who you get on phone when you call them. Some advisors are more knowledgable than others and know when / how the rules can be broken.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 21, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Susu
VIP Dibber

Susu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hi TigerLily. The vouchers were extended by six months in March/April (I found the link below):

virginatlantic/gb/en...onusmiles.html

And they were extended by another six months later in the year, though I can’t find the link or email for that one so can’t pinpoint when it was.

Is it possible that you have earned the second reward voucher after the first extension was applied? So you would get the second six month extension?

We had two reward vouchers. The first was due to expire this month. Even pre COVID we wouldn’t have had chance to use it as we were originally planning to go April this year, which we decided was too risky. With the two extensions, the expiry went to January 2022 which meant we could make use of it. We are hoping to go in October this year now and have managed to use both companion vouchers - booked 6 seats PE, using miles/points on the other 4 flights.

I hope you get to use your vouchers and wish you all the very best for your wedding plans.
Susu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 21, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
TigerLily8
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Susu View Post
Hi TigerLily. The vouchers were extended by six months in March/April (I found the link below):

virginatlantic/gb/en...onusmiles.html

And they were extended by another six months later in the year, though I can’t find the link or email for that one so can’t pinpoint when it was.

Is it possible that you have earned the second reward voucher after the first extension was applied? So you would get the second six month extension?

We had two reward vouchers. The first was due to expire this month. Even pre COVID we wouldn’t have had chance to use it as we were originally planning to go April this year, which we decided was too risky. With the two extensions, the expiry went to January 2022 which meant we could make use of it. We are hoping to go in October this year now and have managed to use both companion vouchers - booked 6 seats PE, using miles/points on the other 4 flights.

I hope you get to use your vouchers and wish you all the very best for your wedding plans.
Thanks for digging this out Susu, very helpful! Yes I think you are right, I must have unknowingly earned a second voucher and the extension has automatically been applied.

Thanks so much for your kind words, I have my fingers crossed for October this year for you x
Old 11 Jan 21, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerLily8
VIP Dibber

Question: If I book a package through Virgin Holidays that includes economy flights, can I then call Virgin Atlantic and use my vouchers to upgrade to premium? Or does everything have to be booked separately?