Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 8 Sep 19, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Fiona35
Apprentice Imagineer

Taking food into US

I know I can take sealed packets of gluten free bread with me in my suitcase, but does anyone know if I can take a couple of slices of bread in a food bag off the aircraft and into the US?

Thanks
Fiona35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 19, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I post this link regularly and it confirms that bread is admissible. Doesn't matter where you pack it but you should declare it if asked by the Immigration Officer.

help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-personal-use

You may get the usual unhelpful posts suggesting that they have shops in Florida which is always a big surprise to me. We always take instant coffee because we don't like USA brands - would you believe I was told a few weeks ago that I should really try filter coffee.

Mick
Old 8 Sep 19, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Fiona35
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks Mick, appreciate your help.
Fiona35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 19, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
I post this link regularly and it confirms that bread is admissible. Doesn't matter where you pack it but you should declare it if asked by the Immigration Officer.

help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-personal-use

You may get the usual unhelpful posts suggesting that they have shops in Florida which is always a big surprise to me. We always take instant coffee because we don't like USA brands - would you believe I was told a few weeks ago that I should really try filter coffee.

Mick
Nigh on every Nov we hear, 'we sell tea 'n coffee in the US', can't be chowed explaining decaf Yorkshire Tea and decaf L'Or coffee are unavailable on the island, Cape Coral or Ft Myers, and Gadgey, I'm not going 179 days without a canny brew. Our Bokeelia neighbour is now a L'Or lass since having a cup, or two, once/twice a week over the years. After finding out, many years ago, the US had running water and electricity, I be, be still my beating heart, my cup runneth over (that'd be my cup of UK bought tea or coffee, depends on my mood).

Fiona, I concur with Gadgey Mick, whilst the official CBP website advises admissibles, it also recommends advising the IO Have a smashing holiday
Old 8 Sep 19, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Fiona

You may have detected from my first post that I accept that people can take anything between a jar of coffee and a month's Tesco shopping and that loads of people have dietary reasons for asking. They shouldn't have to justify their plans.

So apologies for the first time in 15 years - they do sell gluten free bread in Walmart but I fully understand that shopping may not be easy if you don't have a car. If Walmart have it then I'm sure that Target and Publix will as well.

Mick
Old 8 Sep 19, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Fiona35
Apprentice Imagineer

Fiona

You may have detected from my first post that I accept that people can take anything between a jar of coffee and a month's Tesco shopping and that loads of people have dietary reasons for asking. They shouldn't have to justify their plans.

So apologies for the first time in 15 years - they do sell gluten free bread in Walmart but I fully understand that shopping may not be easy if you don't have a car. If Walmart have it then I'm sure that Target and Publix will as well.

Mick
No worries Mick.
We don’t have a car so have ordered from Garden Grocer and I have to say whilst most items we didn’t mind the price, I refuse to pay $10 for a loaf of Gluten Free bread and $9 for 4 GF muffins.

PS I really like my Nescafé Gold Blend Coffee, can I get something similar out in the US or do I need to bring a little jar with me
Old 8 Sep 19, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Fiona35 View Post
PS I really like my Nescafé Gold Blend Coffee, can I get something similar out in the US or do I need to bring a little jar with me
For that one I'd say it depends on how easy going you are in regards your morning brew, if you went to your local supplier and they had none in stock, would you happily get a different brand or go without.

The answer should guide you as to whether you will crack on and drink their stuff, or you're better off chucking some in your bag.
Old 8 Sep 19, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
No worries Mick.
We don’t have a car so have ordered from Garden Grocer and I have to say whilst most items we didn’t mind the price, I refuse to pay $10 for a loaf of Gluten Free bread and $9 for 4 GF muffins.

In Walmart especially (less so in Target and Publix) there is an international aisle which is further sub-divided into UK stuff. So yes you can buy Nescafe (not sure if it's Gold Blend) plus stuff like Robinson's squash and maybe even Marmite - but at possibly twice the price.

We take coffee and Coffeemate because we like that first cup of coffee when we arrive at the villa after drinking the vile airline stuff. We eat out maybe 80% of the time but still regularly visit a supermarket for feeding ourselves the other 20% of the time.

Mick
Old 8 Sep 19, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

No worries Mick.

Blimey Fiona, at those prices I wonder if they mean glutton vs gluten Suggestion; take your Nescafé Gold in a Ziplock bag (sellotape the top after you close it to ensure it doesn't slide open). In Nov I'll be taking 1kg of L'Or, decanted into Ziplock bags.

We take coffee and Coffeemate because we like that first cup of coffee when we arrive at the villa after drinking the vile airline stuff. We eat out maybe 80% of the time but still regularly visit a supermarket for feeding ourselves the other 20% of the time.

Mick
Gadgey - if, like us, you carry coffee and coffemate (we use in PI night afore we fly), take extra and ask the crew for two cups of boiling water and spoon and make your own - the times others have said they smelt our coffee and had never thought of taking their own and asking for boiled water. VA crew are very obliging and put it in pot mugs for us. Airline coffee is always too strong for us.
Old 8 Sep 19, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post

Gadgey - if, like us, you carry coffee and coffemate (we use in PI night afore we fly), take extra and ask the crew for two cups of boiling water and spoon and make your own - the times others have said they smelt our coffee and had never thought of taking their own and asking for boiled water. VA crew are very obliging and put it in pot mugs for us. Airline coffee is always too strong for us.
Would try that bonny lass but we always pack them in the hold luggage. We also leave the coffee and Coffeemate in the original containers. Wouldn't like to explain any white powder in a Ziplock bag.

Mick