MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We live in the N.E (and usually fly from Manchester, only 2.5 hours) - last time we flew from Gatwick, it was cheaper but it's a 5 hour drive.
We decided to set off and if we got tired we'd book into a travel lodge or similar, but with several coffee and rest stops we were fine and drove straight home. We have no kids with us though.
We'd do it again if the price was right.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure & POR Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984

Edited at 09:52 PM.
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 21, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DonkeyCentreArf View Post
Could you book a room somewhere a short drive along the M4 which is likely to be cheaper than around Heathrow? Grab a few hours sleep and a light lunch and then finish the journey home.
I would normally go M3/A303 rather than M4/M5 but that would also be a good way to get some of the journey done before sleeping. Never considered that option!
Old 20 Apr 21, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
As you say not the cheapest option, but very last minute one year we did this as DH snapped his Achilles three weeks before we were due to travel and I literally don’t drive outside of Exeter! That was by far the best journey home ever - just quite a costly one! 👍
I missed that option! We only did it once - so expensive - but that was in 2004 so I hate to think what it would be now 😱
Old 21 Apr 21, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

A 5 hour drive after a 9 hour flight, with little rest, time zone change and coming back from a holiday, which even being a holiday can actually tire you out more.
For even the strongest driver, this can be a struggle.

Heathrow has plenty of day use rooms. Just google Heathow day use room and several will come up, like Hilton. You can make it part of your holiday and then have a more relaxing drive. Rather than the potential of making the end of a holiday feel negative.

Originally Posted by Dmc14 View Post
Hiya,

We’re in Cornwall so about a 5hr drive from Heathrow. We’re planning to go next April and return home from Miami, the flight arrives at about 10:30am.

Neither my husband or I sleep well on flights so will be pretty exhausted on the drive home.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL

Edited at 09:00 AM.
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 21, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
A 5 hour drive after a 9 hour flight, with little rest, time zone change and coming back from a holiday, which even being a holiday can actually tire you out more.
For even the strongest driver, this can be a struggle.

Heathrow has plenty of day use rooms. Just google Heathow day use room and several will come up, like Hilton. You can make it part of your holiday and then have a more relaxing drive. Rather than the potential of making the end of a holiday feel negative.
I agree - and it's the same argument for me when you land and have to drive - that first drive is very difficulty with tiredness strange car, everything on other side etc, and can be early hours of the morning UK time... but everyone always says it's easy!

It is scary seeing some of the driving out of Heathrow - never know if it is tired passengers in a hire car or just London traffic! Either way tough, and minimum I suggest is having breakfast first and stopping a coule of times.
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 21, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by stupet11 View Post
Oh of course: re lounges - it's been a while since I was anywhere near an airport!

I think we'd find somewhere for bfast and a wash still, with flights usually landing around rush hour time.

It's frustrating as train would be such a good options, just a hassle to get on one train...it needs 2 or 3.

When the kids no longer come, maybe we can get one of them to take us / pick us up... (snort snort flap)
How about bus (or cab) Heathrow to Feltham station then the train to Clapham Junction connecting on the train to Exeter ? Likewise Gatwick direct to Clapham Junction then the Exeter train .
I suppose if Heathrow the Heathrow Express direct to Paddington may be better though.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 21, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
How about bus (or cab) Heathrow to Feltham station then the train to Clapham Junction connecting on the train to Exeter ? Likewise Gatwick direct to Clapham Junction then the Exeter train .
I suppose if Heathrow the Heathrow Express direct to Paddington may be better though.
The problem we have found with the train is luggage - there are often very small luggage racks on SWR which makes it difficult to find somewhere to put bigger bags 😢

Also, the change at Clapham Junction is often hard work as it is sooooo busy.
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 21, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lizzim View Post
The problem we have found with the train is luggage - there are often very small luggage racks on SWR which makes it difficult to find somewhere to put bigger bags 😢

Also, the change at Clapham Junction is often hard work as it is sooooo busy.
Clapham Junction in the rush hour is hell, after about 9am it’s a doddle , like a different world. Definitely a have breakfast on arrival and travel once the commuters have cleared.
We tend to travel fairly light though.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 21, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Majik
slightly serious Dibber

We live in Plymouth and usually fly from LHR. We often take the National Express. I wasnt keen to try it but it actually works well for us and we do manage to sleep on the coach. We always book our seats well worth the extra.

Beautiful views from our 3 bedroom villa at
Hunters Creek
www.villas4orlandoflorida.com

http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/villa-search.php?a=405
Majik is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 21, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Hayes and Harlington to Reading and then change is a MUCH better option. More luggage space, less travel time, easier connection.