Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 9 Mar 17, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

Originally Posted by matt987106 View Post
is all this " lost love " a case of just going to many times, people buy DVC with the idea of going every year, is it just too much ? ? ?

yes of course the exchange rate it poor, though we ate 1/2 the time onsite and the other 1/2 off, it seemed to work well and we ate at sweet tomato's twice and the first time with our coupons the meal and drinks were cheaper than out chef mickey tip, how crazy is that

I know people ( as Geoffa ) have said about all the building work, disney area really are dammed if they do and dammed if they dont, we all want new fresh stuff
I think for our family, we've been too many times. Sometimes three times a year. Hopefully with a two year break we will get our Disney mojo back.

I agree with Bev though, eating onsite is so expensive. Disney are trying to make the DDP too attractive. It just isn't worth it for us, too much food.
Old 9 Mar 17, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

This is why I only bought enough points to go every 2 years. We are lucky enough to have 4 holidays a year, Feb (normally all inclusive Canaries, but off to South Africa 2019), a cheapie to Mallorca or Portugal in May, USA July/ August and All inclusive October (Rhodes this year). Given we have to travel in school holidays, it costs a lot, but I work 60 hour weeks and getting away when I'm on holiday from work lets me reconnect with the family so it's money well spent. We are like Tom Morrow in that USA always interests us the most, this year it's NYC, Cape Cod and Hershey. We'll be at 22 states by then. It would be a shame to visit USA and just go to Disney every year.So point is, we get about, do different things, and it seems to mean we always look forward to a week or so in Disney every 2 years. Even on that trip we'll only spend a week there, and a week somewhere else in Florida and in 2018 can't wait to have 4 nights at Vero as I haven't been, and 7 nights Disney. Think I may go to St Augustine first for 3 nights before Vero as have never been there. Familiarity breeds contempt. When I get older though and am retired I can see me doing a couple of weeks every year at Disney just to be in the warmth, nice hotel, no driving etc, probably wouldn't bother with the parks so being at somewhere like SSR would fit the bill.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 17, 11:54 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

If you start to lose the love then have a break. We've done this, renting our points to fund other trips. We went to hawaiI, LA, vegas and Alaska. In sept it will be our first trip back for 4 years and we can't wait. You could also look into RCI exchange and use points for other hotels worldwide.
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 17, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BarryandCaron View Post
Yes, and we've just sold our OKW contract. We still have our BLT points though.

We thought if we were wanting to sell, now was the time with the exchange rate. We bought the contract at $2/£. I mailed our closing documents off today and didn't feel sad in the slightest.
I didn't realise you felt the same, so strange for such long term DVC die hards like us!

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
I can relate. We haven't been for 3 years. I was excited To go this summer but the exchange rate and general expensiveness of everything is really dampening my enthusiasm. I'm ready to travel to other places as well.

I think the ddp has pushed meal prices so high that staying onsite without the dining plan has become very expensive.
I think you've hit the nail on the head Bev, this is my feeling exactly, and yes while we can choose to go offsite and eat cheaply, why should we be forced to.

We've not made WDW our main holiday for a few years but did last year going out for 4 weeks, had a great time but it just wasn't what it used to be alongside an enormous bill for things that just didn't feel worth it. The 'break' really made us see the difference.

Thanks all for your thoughts, sad to see old names that I've associated with DVC for many years also feeling the same way.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 17, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I suspect it's a case that the old names are in similar places with kids that are growing up and a degree of overfamiliarity.
Although my youngest is only 13 but the eldest is 19 and has really only been to Fkorida with us. (We did go to Majorca once. It wasn't ideal for us at that time )

We went into Paris for one day last year and it was a huge success. I think we are all ready for city breaks and sightseeing which I wouldn't have considered when Molly was younger.
Also my brother has moved to Australia and I am very keen to go there.

I'm not quite ready to sell but I can see a few years of points renting to fund other experiences.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 17, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I can totally understand where many of you are coming from and I'm probably in the bucket of "owned for a while with older kids", too.

Dining onsite now feels outrageously expensive, especially in the context of the exchange rate right now. We took steps on our three week Christmas trip to minimise that which we wouldn't have done previously.

We've been lucky enough to go often and some years three times, but the way we use our points has changed a lot since 2013, and perhaps if that was not the case we might also be feeling less enthused.

Emotionally though, I can't see us selling. We did that once and I've always regretted it. I think that memory would be enough to prevent me selling again, though I would definitely not rule out using points in a different way in future. I wouldn't spend them on RCI or cruises as I perceive that as poor value, but I would rent them out and use the money to fund a trip. However we have yet to have any spare
Old 10 Mar 17, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by matt987106 View Post
is all this " lost love " a case of just going to many times, people buy DVC with the idea of going every year, is it just too much ? ? ?

yes of course the exchange rate it poor, though we ate 1/2 the time onsite and the other 1/2 off, it seemed to work well and we ate at sweet tomato's twice and the first time with our coupons the meal and drinks were cheaper than out chef mickey tip, how crazy is that

I know people ( as Geoffa ) have said about all the building work, disney area really are dammed if they do and dammed if they dont, we all want new fresh stuff
Out of all the replies I have read this one resonated most. We haven't been to FL for over 10 years as a family and mainly due to financial reasons. We did go alot in the early 2000s and I think the effect was getting a bit stale on me

Don't get me wrong - if I had the chance to go this year I would take it like a shot but I wouldn't go every year

Just my 2c
Old 10 Mar 17, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
I suspect it's a case that the old names are in similar places with kids that are growing up and a degree of overfamiliarity.
Although my youngest is only 13 but the eldest is 19 and has really only been to Fkorida with us. (We did go to Majorca once. It wasn't ideal for us at that time )

We went into Paris for one day last year and it was a huge success. I think we are all ready for city breaks and sightseeing which I wouldn't have considered when Molly was younger.
Also my brother has moved to Australia and I am very keen to go there.

I'm not quite ready to sell but I can see a few years of points renting to fund other experiences.
See on the flip side of that coin I think it's our travelling experiences that have lessened the drive to go to Florida, there are so many beautiful places in the world and incredible one off experiences to be had that when we're in Florida it feels a little 'samey'.

We still enjoy samey but there is a part of me sat in a Disney restaurant enjoying a mediocre meal, that's far from relaxed, surrounded by the masses, comparing it to sitting at the top of Victoria Peak in Hong Kong with amazing views, or diving in Indonesia on a little remote island that's beyond beautiful, all at a fraction of the price. :-/

I don't think we'd ever stop going as do still love it, but I do wonder if becoming irregular cash visitors is the way forward for us.

Edited at 09:33 AM.
PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 17, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I can totally understand where many of you are coming from and I'm probably in the bucket of "owned for a while with older kids", too.

Dining onsite now feels outrageously expensive, especially in the context of the exchange rate right now. We took steps on our three week Christmas trip to minimise that which we wouldn't have done previously.

We've been lucky enough to go often and some years three times, but the way we use our points has changed a lot since 2013, and perhaps if that was not the case we might also be feeling less enthused.

Emotionally though, I can't see us selling. We did that once and I've always regretted it. I think that memory would be enough to prevent me selling again, though I would definitely not rule out using points in a different way in future. I wouldn't spend them on RCI or cruises as I perceive that as poor value, but I would rent them out and use the money to fund a trip. However we have yet to have any spare
The way we've used our points has definitely evolved as the kids have grown, the last few years just going out for a week, in 2014 & 2015 we didn't do any WDW parks at all (other than to do Divequest), just stayed at AKL for a week and did Universal.

I do worry that i'd regret selling, having had it for so long, I do take it for granted.

It's weighing up whether we'd be better off as cash visitors every few years & selling while it's still mid contract and probably at it's peak value wise, or just keeping it, using it every 3 years or loaning / renting the points which was always the original intention when buying in.

Old 10 Mar 17, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by arielrocks View Post
If you start to lose the love then have a break. We've done this, renting our points to fund other trips. We went to hawaiI, LA, vegas and Alaska. In sept it will be our first trip back for 4 years and we can't wait. You could also look into RCI exchange and use points for other hotels worldwide.
This was how we felt last year, we hadn't made WDW our main holiday since 2013. In 2014 & 2015 we just went out for a week each time, purely doing Universal while staying at AKL, no WDW at all (aside from a visit to Epcot for Divequest). Instead we had visited Thailand, Malta, Hong Kong, Bali & The Gili Islands in those 2 years. We were really excited about going back last year as it was the first 'proper' WDW holiday for 3 years and had ensured we had different experiences booked.

Don't get me wrong, we had an amazing time, but if anything it fuelled the lost love for it and desire to return as it was still mostly the same, just at a hugely inflated price.

I wouldn't use points for RCI exchange or other experiences as don't feel it's good value for them, hence considering selling.