Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Nov 19, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

We got the Beko one based on Which reviews. Apart from undecypherable instructions as to how to swap the opening of the door, which means I gave up and Beko were zero help, it seems very good. Maybe takes a bit longer but costs nothing to run and gets clothes dry no problems.
Old 19 Nov 19, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

I have had my hotpoint condenser dryer for at least 20 years now and not only is it still going strong but it doesn't take that long to dry washing , bedding takes about 40 minutes tops. I don't use it that much really as I have an airier in the spare room to dry clothes if I can't dry outside on the line, once the washing is almost dry on the airer I finish it off in the dryer which takes about five minutes . I can't believe a dryer would take three hours to dry a load 😱 surely that's not fit for purpose ?
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 19, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lindaelaine View Post
I have had my hotpoint condenser dryer for at least 20 years now and not only is it still going strong but it doesn't take that long to dry washing , bedding takes about 40 minutes tops. I don't use it that much really as I have an airier in the spare room to dry clothes if I can't dry outside on the line, once the washing is almost dry on the airer I finish it off in the dryer which takes about five minutes . I can't believe a dryer would take three hours to dry a load 😱 surely that's not fit for purpose ?
HP dryers use much lower temperatures hence the much better efficiency ratings. A HP uses harvests the warm air in the room to use rather than using electricity to generate the heat. But they can take much longer which is normal. Any dryer review will point this out. If speed is important - HP is not for you. In essence they work like non gas pool heaters in Florida.

Edited at 08:27 PM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 19, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
HP dryers use much lower temperatures hence the much better efficiency ratings. A HP uses harvests the warm air in the room to use rather than using electricity to generate the heat. But they can take much longer which is normal. Any dryer review will point this out. If speed is important - HP is not for you. In essence they work like non gas pool heaters in Florida.
Yes I just had a look and they have A++ ratings where the condensers have B ratings , I would still be having a panic attack at listening to the dryer running for three hours 😬 I try not to use mine too much as I know it can gobble up the electric .
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 19, 06:11 AM  
Link to this Post
larky
slightly serious Dibber

I love my Samsung HP dryer. I use the synthetic setting for most loads which takes 1 hour 20. It’s so much cheaper to run than my previous hotpoint condenser.
larky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 19, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Neil & Stella View Post
Thanks for all your replies. Maybe we should have asked before we spent £429 (sale price should have been £499) on the bloody thing.

Stella spent over an hour on the phone to AO and Smeg today and the first person at Smeg told her, after speaking to an engineer that the dryer isn't actually designed to get the clothes bone dry

Was told by Smeg to contact AO for a refund, but they called Smeg again and then arranged for them to send an engineer out on Friday.

They have already admitted that the damn thing isn't doing what it is supposed do, because it's not actually designed to. So what is the point of sending an engineer out when there is nothing to be done. It's not bloody broken, it's just garbage, give us our money back and we'll buy something different. From Currys .

Looks like the Beko condenser is worth a look.
You won’t be disappointed in the Beko. It might be less efficient but runs for shorter length of time overall. I have a lot of washing with two teens, so lots of sports kit etc. I tend to wash then pop in the dryer while another load is washing. Dryer has always finished drying before next washing load is done (35 min was). I’ve had it 4 years now and probably use it 5 days out of 7. It’s a real workhorse, especially for being one of the cheaper dryers out there.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 19, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

We have a Bosch heat pump one and it's brilliant. Clothes come out totally dry, and it doesn't take that long. It's always finished before the next load of finished washing has to go in.

We had a "normal" Candy one before that which I bought simply because it was cheap and the previous one had broke, and that was absolutely rubbish.
Old 20 Nov 19, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Not judging here, but doesn’t anyone peg their washing out?

I appreciate it’s difficult sometimes due to the weather but it’s definitely cheaper and kinder on the planet x
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 19, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Loulou127 View Post

I appreciate it’s difficult sometimes due to the weather but it’s definitely cheaper and kinder on the planet x
I peg my washing out when weather allows and also have an airer on landing for many items but other times I don't know where I would be without my dryer

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 19, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Loulou127 View Post

We do, in fact we bought an American style pulley one when last in Florida. Saves treading on wet grass when hanging washing out. Saying that we do have a heat pump condenser dryer for when the weather doesn’t allow.

It does take longer than a conventional dryer but it was a compromise we were prepared to take.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List