Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 Jul 21, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Post…

Random one.

We moved into a really unique property, it’s landlocked with a long straight (say 30m) garden path to the house.

The end of the path opens up into the garden, and the house has a letter box in the front door.

The previous owner had the gates permanently open, so the posties etc just used to walk down, put the post through the door, and wander back out again.

But we have a dog who is often in the garden if we are in, so we have straightened the gate at the end of the path, and bolted it (it can be opened)

So DH bought this, and screwed it to the tree stump right next to the gate. Both to try to make it easier for the posties and keep the dog safe.

So far we have had no post in it 😂

We seem to have 3 posties

1. Comes in the gate, cuddles the dog, and puts the mail through the door, closes the gate on the way out (no problem with this)

2. Comes in, puts post through the door, and then leaves the gates wide open, which means that the dog has free access onto the road. Not ideal obviously

3. Stands at the gate and yells at my builders to come and collect the post off her…….. luckily or unluckily they got the plasterer as the others would have yelled something back 😂😂

Is it not obvious that’s what it’s meant for? It’s not on the road, next to our gate, can only be ours.

I need to try to get a sign for the gate, as I haven’t actually met the posties to try to explain, but must say I didn’t think would be so confusing. I’m just not in the office with access to a printer to next week 😂

Maybe they just think it’s an ornament? I told DH to buy a cheap £20 thing

Going to have to sit on postie watch now
Old 6 Jul 21, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Two ideas, one a note on that gorgeous post box (for now) and a closer for the gate.

I think the problem is the post box is too nice and looks like an ornament m

Edited at 11:30 AM.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 21, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
SnowWhite
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
Random one.

We moved into a really unique property, it’s landlocked with a long straight (say 30m) garden path to the house.

The end of the path opens up into the garden, and the house has a letter box in the front door.

The previous owner had the gates permanently open, so the posties etc just used to walk down, put the post through the door, and wander back out again.

But we have a dog who is often in the garden if we are in, so we have straightened the gate at the end of the path, and bolted it (it can be opened)

So DH bought this, and screwed it to the tree stump right next to the gate. Both to try to make it easier for the posties and keep the dog safe.

So far we have had no post in it 😂

We seem to have 3 posties

1. Comes in the gate, cuddles the dog, and puts the mail through the door, closes the gate on the way out (no problem with this)

2. Comes in, puts post through the door, and then leaves the gates wide open, which means that the dog has free access onto the road. Not ideal obviously

3. Stands at the gate and yells at my builders to come and collect the post off her…….. luckily or unluckily they got the plasterer as the others would have yelled something back 😂😂

Is it not obvious that’s what it’s meant for? It’s not on the road, next to our gate, can only be ours.

I need to try to get a sign for the gate, as I haven’t actually met the posties to try to explain, but must say I didn’t think would be so confusing. I’m just not in the office with access to a printer to next week 😂

Maybe they just think it’s an ornament? I told DH to buy a cheap £20 thing

Going to have to sit on postie watch now
Oh dear how strange, yes it would be obvious to me ( but I wonder if the postie thinks it might be an actual PO collection box). May I suggest that you try to pull the shrubbery away from the box
Hope you find a solution that works for everybody soon
SnowWhite is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 21, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

I would say it looks like a really nice ornament. The posties are obviously used to walking down the path from the previous owner. Maybe put a big notice up short term until they understand the dangers of your dog getting out.
Your property sounds amazing! The post box looks really nice 😊
Floridatilly is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 21, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Two ideas, one a note on that gorgeous post box (for now) and a closer for the gate.

I think the problem is the post box is too nice and looks like an ornament m
I’m defo going to get a note done ASAP!
Going to put a Yale lock on the gate as soon as the builders are done, but that’s 4-6 weeks away, and there are currently 5 different ones wandering in and out on different days, luckily all closing the gate…..

Poor DH is gutted as it was his new toy 😂
Old 6 Jul 21, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post
Oh dear how strange, yes it would be obvious to me ( but I wonder if the postie thinks it might be an actual PO collection box). May I suggest that you try to pull the shrubbery away from the box
Hope you find a solution that works for everybody soon
It seemed really obvious to us too, but that’s maybe because we were looking for a solution. I did suggest pruning the tree back a bit but DH thought it would be a shame. I’ll get him to try it though
Old 6 Jul 21, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
I would say it looks like a really nice ornament. The posties are obviously used to walking down the path from the previous owner. Maybe put a big notice up short term until they understand the dangers of your dog getting out.
Your property sounds amazing! The post box looks really nice 😊
Oh Thankyou! The big notice needs to wait until I’m in the office again, so I’m going to have to sit on postman watch see if I can’t catch them to explain
Old 6 Jul 21, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

I don’t think it is obvious what it is for. As the style box is for outgoing mail rather than incoming, I would assume it was some kind of an ornament. I think you would need a non post office themed box saying “Mail” to encourage the posties to use it.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 21, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I have to agree with Claudette and it may not be obvious that they should put your post in it and might think it is just an ornament. Is it totally on your land? If not other people might start posting their post in it? Someone near us has put one in the middle of their front garden on a main road and I can just imagine people putting all sorts in it. I did notice the other day they'd had to put a sign on it saying it wasn't a royal mail box but if theirs is an ornament I would be blocking the hole.
Orlando 2004 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 21, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

i thought you were going to say people have been posting their mail in it thinking it's a regular post box. Laminate a note to your gate for the posties.
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List