Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 22 Nov 21, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Mobile

Just seen this! Fab report so far. Your room and view looks gorgeous!

That pizza on your first night looks incredible! Xx
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 21, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

Have a fantastic time
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 21, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Busy day again today!

We started off with breakfast at Bacon B***h. Appreciate the name may put some off however stick with it as the food is really good!

W ordered a strawberry lemonade to drink and I had the Emotions frozen cocktail which is white rum, mango liqueur, mango & strawberry daiquiri and fresh lime.

W’s lemonade was really good and the cocktail was the best one either of us have had on the trip so far! Sweet, fruity and a good consistency for a frozen cocktail.

I ordered the OG which is applewood smoked bacon, sunny side up egg, scrambled egg, and a melted cheddar cheese stuffed hash brown on a croissant.

It was really good! The eggs were perfect and the cheese stuffed hash brown was really nice.

W ordered the Juicy which is grilled marinated flank steak, sunny side up egg, caramelised onions, roasted peppers, chimichurri aioli and Swiss cheese on a croissant.

Again, this one was also really good! I tried it and it had a great flavour which I think was tied together by the aioli. It was harder to eat as a sandwich than mine though so required a knife and fork.

This was a great breakfast and gets a thumbs up from us. The bill including tax and tip ended up being just under $70 - pricey but good.

We then walked around the Art Deco district for a while and then back over to Lincoln Road mall for a bit of shopping. Neither of us bought anything in the end though! More spending money left for the Orlando outlets

One place that was really cool though was a gallery for the artist Britto. Highly recommend looking up his art as a Disney lover. There was an amazing Stitch statue in the window that caught our eye and we were hoping there would be a mini version of it like these ones but unfortunately it wasn’t to be. Our dog is called Stitch so we definitely would’ve got it! The one in the window was too big though and also too expensive

We also grabbed another strawberry açai with lemonade… I think we’ve started a bit of a tradition with this!

As you can probably tell, the weather has been glorious today, around 30 degrees with pretty much no wind so has felt even hotter. So we spent a lot of the rest of the day at the beach soaking up the sun and relaxing!

Eventually we got a bit peckish and so popped back into the hotel where there is a pool bar/outdoor restaurant called Bungalow by the Sea. They have branded coconuts and so I obviously had to get a Thai coconut milk drink.

W got a virgin strawberry daiquiri. There are so many strawberry drinks here which is great for us as we love them!

Both of these drinks were great, we really enjoyed them.

We then just wanted something light to share and so ordered a starter of tuna poke nachos made with crispy shrimp chips and spicy mayo.

We were so shocked when these came out, they looked amazing and so colourful! The ‘shrimp chips’ were essentially colourful fresh prawn crackers and there was even some caviar on them. Something totally different and really tasty, the mayo gave a nice kick.

The bill was as follows:

On the menu tonight is Joe’s Stone Crab… very excited!

Edited at 10:48 PM.
orlandoamber is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 21, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Imagineer

The OG looks delicious. You are certainly having some really nice food and drinks 👍
Disney Planning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 21, 07:41 AM  
Link to this Post
pho3nix
slightly serious Dibber

Loving your report so far - looking forward to reading the Orlando portion as we will be there at the end of December!
pho3nix is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 21, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Loobylou_82
Imagineer

The tuna poke nachos look tasty. So do the cocktails. Yum.
Loobylou_82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 21, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

So last night it was Joe’s Stone Crab! We were aware this was going to be really expensive in advance and so wanted to make the most of it. If you know me, you’ll know I’m never early for anything, but for the past few days we’ve been super early for all reservations largely because of jet lag! Last night however was different To put it in context, we’re staying between 39th and 40th street but Joe’s is located on 1st street. This is a LONG way but easily reached by two free trollies. We got on the first one fine and made it to 17th street but then the next one wasn’t for 40 minutes and we would’ve missed our reservation! We therefore decided to power walk the remainder of the way as ubers were also going to take ages and were on surge pricing. My feet were not thankful by the time we got there (15 mins late).

Anyway, the check in experience was great and they weren’t bothered we were late because they were running late too. You check in at the podium and then when your table is ready they call your name over a microphone!

More Britto art:

This restaurant is really famous and popular, there were so many people waiting. I’d go as far as saying you have to try it once. All the waiters are in suits, bow ties, and look very fancy, but you don’t have to dress like that yourself!

To drink, W ordered the frozen watermelon margarita and I ordered a strawberry lemonade as I didn’t fancy any of the cocktails. The waiter then came back and asked if I wanted anything in the cocktail so I said ‘some rum’. Mistake! It arrived and tasted of pure rum, I think I should’ve specified just the one shot

W’s drink was really good though - didn’t taste anything like watermelon or a margarita but it was tasty nonetheless!

They give you a bib to wear

You get complimentary bread at the start which was soooo good! We didn’t eat it all but the ones we tried included a pretzel bread, garlic bread and a balsamic onion bread - all were so good and the butter was nice and spreadable unlike when some places just take it straight out of the fridge!

This is the menu of crab claws. Obviously, very expensive. We ordered the large and got 5 claws, I’m not sure if portions would be the same on the other sizes because the title of them on here relates to the actual size of the claws not the portion size:

We also ordered some conch fritters to start, and sides for the claws of garlic creamed spinach, hash browns and grilled tomatoes (stuffed with spinach and cheese).

The food is served family style and they plate it up for you, so apologies for the quality of photos here!

Starter of conch fritters:

We’d never tried these before but when I was looking into doing the keys for a day I saw these on a lot of menus and wanted to try them (unfortunately I don’t think we can fit them in this trip now, another time we will plan a few nights down there!). They were a bit of a miss for us though, I have no doubt that they were really good conch fritters but weren’t particularly to our taste although we did eat most of the very large portion. Glad we tried them!

The mains:

Grilled tomatoes - so good, so much cheese!

Garlic creamed spinach - amazing! Really good garlic flavour.

Hash browns - star of the show! Amazing flavours and went perfectly with the spinach. This was a ‘small’ portion, obviously with some already taken out when it was plated up, and it was easily enough for two of us so I can’t imagine how big the large is!

The crab claws - very tasty and it was fun learning how to de-shell them properly

The only thing I would say is that they are not as big as they look in photos! We were slightly underwhelmed with how big they were for the price but this was our only criticism really. I’d like to see how big the Jumbo ones are although that’s another steep jump in price!

The bill was as follows, plus tip, so ended up at $190 (our waiter was really good).

Afterwards we decided to head back to Espanola Way as we hadn’t seen it lit up and buzzing at night.

We then strolled down to the Loews Miami Beach Hotel for a quick peek and a drink at Bar Collins. This hotel is stunning and in a great location, I’d always have a look at how much this was for any future dates although when I looked for this trip I remember it was extortionate (but perhaps inflated as we’re here thanksgiving week).

I ordered the Raspberry 75 which was kettle one vodka, fresh raspberries, lemon juice, simple syrup and Prosecco. W ordered the Flamingo Mojito which was a Miami Club rum, watermelon juice, ginger syrup and mint.

These were both lovely. Again, very expensive however we’re in Miami where everything is expensive

Funnily enough this is the first time we’ve been asked for ID all trip. Usually in Orlando/Disney we’re used to being asked all the time however we’ve had alcohol every day so far and not been asked until this point. We’re either losing our young looks or they’re more relaxed in Miami!

Today we are off to Little Havana, Wynwood and Downtown.
orlandoamber is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 21, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by orlandoamber View Post
So last night it was Joe’s Stone Crab! We were aware this was going to be really expensive in advance and so wanted to make the most of it. If you know me, you’ll know I’m never early for anything, but for the past few days we’ve been super early for all reservations largely because of jet lag! Last night however was different To put it in context, we’re staying between 39th and 40th street but Joe’s is located on 1st street. This is a LONG way but easily reached by two free trollies. We got on the first one fine and made it to 17th street but then the next one wasn’t for 40 minutes and we would’ve missed our reservation! We therefore decided to power walk the remainder of the way as ubers were also going to take ages and were on surge pricing. My feet were not thankful by the time we got there (15 mins late).

Anyway, the check in experience was great and they weren’t bothered we were late because they were running late too. You check in at the podium and then when your table is ready they call your name over a microphone!

More Britto art:

This restaurant is really famous and popular, there were so many people waiting. I’d go as far as saying you have to try it once. All the waiters are in suits, bow ties, and look very fancy, but you don’t have to dress like that yourself!

To drink, W ordered the frozen watermelon margarita and I ordered a strawberry lemonade as I didn’t fancy any of the cocktails. The waiter then came back and asked if I wanted anything in the cocktail so I said ‘some rum’. Mistake! It arrived and tasted of pure rum, I think I should’ve specified just the one shot

W’s drink was really good though - didn’t taste anything like watermelon or a margarita but it was tasty nonetheless!

They give you a bib to wear

You get complimentary bread at the start which was soooo good! We didn’t eat it all but the ones we tried included a pretzel bread, garlic bread and a balsamic onion bread - all were so good and the butter was nice and spreadable unlike when some places just take it straight out of the fridge!

This is the menu of crab claws. Obviously, very expensive. We ordered the large and got 5 claws, I’m not sure if portions would be the same on the other sizes because the title of them on here relates to the actual size of the claws not the portion size:

We also ordered some conch fritters to start, and sides for the claws of garlic creamed spinach, hash browns and grilled tomatoes (stuffed with spinach and cheese).

The food is served family style and they plate it up for you, so apologies for the quality of photos here!

Starter of conch fritters:

We’d never tried these before but when I was looking into doing the keys for a day I saw these on a lot of menus and wanted to try them (unfortunately I don’t think we can fit them in this trip now, another time we will plan a few nights down there!). They were a bit of a miss for us though, I have no doubt that they were really good conch fritters but weren’t particularly to our taste although we did eat most of the very large portion. Glad we tried them!

The mains:

Grilled tomatoes - so good, so much cheese!

Garlic creamed spinach - amazing! Really good garlic flavour.

Hash browns - star of the show! Amazing flavours and went perfectly with the spinach. This was a ‘small’ portion, obviously with some already taken out when it was plated up, and it was easily enough for two of us so I can’t imagine how big the large is!

The crab claws - very tasty and it was fun learning how to de-shell them properly

The only thing I would say is that they are not as big as they look in photos! We were slightly underwhelmed with how big they were for the price but this was our only criticism really. I’d like to see how big the Jumbo ones are although that’s another steep jump in price!

The bill was as follows, plus tip, so ended up at $190 (our waiter was really good).

Afterwards we decided to head back to Espanola Way as we hadn’t seen it lit up and buzzing at night.

We then strolled down to the Loews Miami Beach Hotel for a quick peek and a drink at Bar Collins. This hotel is stunning and in a great location, I’d always have a look at how much this was for any future dates although when I looked for this trip I remember it was extortionate (but perhaps inflated as we’re here thanksgiving week).

I ordered the Raspberry 75 which was kettle one vodka, fresh raspberries, lemon juice, simple syrup and Prosecco. W ordered the Flamingo Mojito which was a Miami Club rum, watermelon juice, ginger syrup and mint.

These were both lovely. Again, very expensive however we’re in Miami where everything is expensive

Funnily enough this is the first time we’ve been asked for ID all trip. Usually in Orlando/Disney we’re used to being asked all the time however we’ve had alcohol every day so far and not been asked until this point. We’re either losing our young looks or they’re more relaxed in Miami!

Today we are off to Little Havana, Wynwood and Downtown.
Looks fantastic 🤩🇺🇸
We’ve been to Miami twice both times staying at Marlin Hotel 12th & Collins Avenue
We loved Thriller speedboat
Enjoy the rest of your stay
X

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 21, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
What an amazing food day. I love the filling to croissant ratio 😆 that poke is so unique- that is the best part about travelling- trying things you don’t get at home. 😁 what a great day.
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 21, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

The food looks fab! And the drinks obvs
I had no idea there was a free trolley! I will make sure we use it next time

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List