Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 May 19, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Burgmeister View Post
I take my Clarity card but also have a Revolut (my wife also has each of these in separate accounts so that's 4 cards available). I will also take the rest of my cards for absolute emergencies (Barclaycard, Nationwide, VA card, AMEX, IHG and a Curve). Whilst they may not be the cheapest way to get money (although Curve now is FX transaction free) if it's a real emergency then that is of little relevence.

I will also have numerous debit cards but they would be the last to be used whilst overseas
I find it interesting that you would consider the Curve card an emergency card in preference to the Clarity Card due to the additional security features available to it and the better (predominantly) interbank exchange rate not to mention the loss of points earning on either the IHG or VA cards. The new payment protection they include also seems to be on a par, if not better than s.75 protection provided by the credit card companies
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 19, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

1.MBNA Horizon - no foreign fees and 0.5 % cashback on spends.
2.Halifax Clarity - used to be card of choice.
3.Starling debit card - just because 0% fees, may as well come for trip - easy to transfer from my day to day currency aaccount to that.
4.Virgin Credit Card (more for use UK - as have booked car hire / parking / hotels etc on it)

Nationwide debit will come with me, but won't use - have for travel insurance.

Have a currency card, FX I find, that bought via Groupon as got £50 for £35 or something similar, and prob have some actual dollars lying around from previous years we struggle to use / forget to use! each year.

Clarity got stopped couple of years ago - unusual spend - in August for 5th year running, buying groceries! Took 30 mins phone call to sort, that they refunded and paid compensation for on top.
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 19, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by bernard301 View Post
I find it interesting that you would consider the Curve card an emergency card in preference to the Clarity Card due to the additional security features available to it and the better (predominantly) interbank exchange rate not to mention the loss of points earning on either the IHG or VA cards. The new payment protection they include also seems to be on a par, if not better than s.75 protection provided by the credit card companies
Yes, the Curve has some advantages for sure. My primary spending card is Revolut - it just seems to work and you can convert into USD when you see a rate you like. The Clarity card is used when there will be a hold put on it (Hotels, car hire etc).

I use Curve at home but it does have an annual limit. You are right that I will be missing out on my IHG points but, if there are any transaction issues I find it easier dealing with one possible failure point (the card provider) rather than 2 (the card provider and the intermediary card) while I am overseas and on holiday. There are many reasons why someone woudl use Curve as their "goto" overseas card, but I'm just not as comfortable with it as I am with my 2 preferential cards.

Curve does not use a better rate than either Revolut or Clarity. All 3 use the Mastercard rate (which is better than the Visa rate) so I won't be missing out there.

Edit: Of course, Curve also has a £500 monthly limit on fee free overseas spending.

Edited at 10:21 AM.
Burgmeister is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 19, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
My Halifax Clarity credit card is for use only abroad. As a back up I take my day to day credit card and a small amount of cash.
Exactly what I do.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 19, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by stupet11 View Post
1.MBNA Horizon - no foreign fees and 0.5 % cashback on spends.
2.Halifax Clarity - used to be card of choice.
3.Starling debit card - just because 0% fees, may as well come for trip - easy to transfer from my day to day currency aaccount to that.
4.Virgin Credit Card (more for use UK - as have booked car hire / parking / hotels etc on it)

Nationwide debit will come with me, but won't use - have for travel insurance.

Have a currency card, FX I find, that bought via Groupon as got £50 for £35 or something similar, and prob have some actual dollars lying around from previous years we struggle to use / forget to use! each year.

Clarity got stopped couple of years ago - unusual spend - in August for 5th year running, buying groceries! Took 30 mins phone call to sort, that they refunded and paid compensation for on top.
We have Horizon cards but on our first trip overseas to use them my wife's was frozen on her second transaction. Haven't bothered with them since. It will stay in my wallet though so it may, or may not, get used.
Old 14 May 19, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
amf
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We have several fee free overseas cards which are only used for foreign currency spending -

Clarity - self and wife
PO - self and wife
Barclaycard Platinum - self. This doesn't charge interest on overseas ATM withdrawals if statement paid in full by due date.
amf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 19, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

I would not recommend your Halifax debit card; MSE site has it down as one of the top cards to avoid using overseas due to the fees charged.

We use the Halifax Clarity credit card overseas & cash then 3 other credit cards as backup; our Halifax debit card would be our absolute last resort.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 19, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

We have a separate Post office credit card each, a bit of cash, then DH Barclaycard as emergency back up, but also have family in Florida to fall back on if things went really wrong.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 19, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We take a small amount of cash, clarity card and a revolut currency card. Also have my usual debit card and daily credit card incase of any other issues. All vases are covered that way, you just never know!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 19, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

I take my bank account debit card BUT I would only ever use it in a dire emergency if I couldn’t use credit cards.

Reason is (most ?) debit cards give full access to the contents of my bank account so scammers would take my money.

Scams on credit cards are effectively using the CC company’s money. I take a 2nd CC as back up in case the main one is scammed, blocked, lost or stolen.

Perhaps I’m over-cautious but I travel solo.

Edited at 10:22 AM.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List