Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 25 Jun 19, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Best (cheapest!) way to draw out cash

Good evening

I have received my new Halifax Clarity card, and have book marked Revolut to apply for a card soon.

As far as I can tell, you are charged for withdrawing cash on both of these.

We will be going for a month, so don’t really want to take all our cash in one lump sum, so as above, what’s the cheapest way to draw cash whilst we’re in Florida please?

TIA x
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
jasser
Proud to wear my Ears

No charge from the ATM’s at Wawa Gas stations. I just withdraw from there and then pay the GBP amount via mobile banking app to the card
jasser is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 19, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Rachhh
Proud to wear my Ears

Use Starling rather than revolut if you will withdraw more than £250 in a one month window. Revolut charges for withdrawals over a certain amount (either 250 or 300), as does Monzo, but starling is totally free.

Also, I’d check out 7/11 atms, they’re pretty much the only place in Australia that don’t charge for withdrawals so could be the same in the US.

Edited at 10:16 PM.
Rachhh is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
THOR1
Apprentice Imagineer

Don't use much cash

Pay for everything on clarity credit card and take a few hundred $ cash for insignificant purchases

Don't withdraw it from ATM as you will pay interest from day 1 unless you repay it through online banking.

By far the most efficient way to fund a Florida holiday as you get commercial rates on transactions and don't get caned exchanging any excess back.

Both DW and I have individual cards with each being authorised user on the others in case anything happens to either's card
THOR1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
oeamon
Apprentice Imagineer

I use clarity for purchases and starling (basically an online current account). starlings app is excellent and notification of withdrawals etc pop up on phone before the money even comes out of the ATM sometimes. can load straight from other accounts if necessary. no transaction fee (unless the atm charges) and MasterCard exchange rate and n o bill as you are using money from your account. I have used mine with 3 different currencies with no issues.
so for starling and clarity ther are no charges for withdrawal from either card issuer but the ATM owner may charge- we usually use ATM's at WAWA - I think they are PNC bank.

Edited at 10:32 AM.
oeamon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Abbysmum
Apprentice Imagineer

We always use withdraw cash from Wawa petrol stations (and treat ourselves to some of their yummy drinks in the process!)
Abbysmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
nanu
Imagineer

I use a Caxton card at WaWa. No fees by either for ATM withdrawals.
1988 New York Penta & Orl. Radisson Maingate 1990 Orl. Marriott I-Drive, Premier Cruise & Cocoa Beach Hilton 1997 Orl. La Suites I-Drive 2002 Orl. Port Orleans Riverside 2006 Las Vegas Luxor 2007 Orl. Port Orleans French Quarter 2010 Orl. Windsor Palms villa 2012 Orl. Rolling Hills villa & RPR Universal 2015 Orl. Indian Creek villa & Naples Bay Resort 2017 Orl. Highlands Reserve villa 2018 Barefoot Beach Resort & Orl. Highgate Park villa
nanu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

We carry Halifax Clarity apiece and withdraw via WaWa, no fees and interbank rate, we wouldn't hold a pre-paid cash card.

HEADS UP, be aware... any payment made after the Halifax statement date will not reduce the figure taken via full payment direct debit. Using my statement date as an example; 12th June Halifax statement shows my account as owing, say, £1000 to be taken on the 12th July. Irrespective of any small/large payment made to Halifax it will not adjust, £1000 will still be taken on the 12th July even if I'd pre-cleared leaving a zero balance. Apparently the change was introduced to assist minimum payers following complaints of 'what if' they want to pay more. They're now receiving complaints from card holders who didn't read the updated T&Cs advising the change and only become aware after clearing early only to find Halifax still took the outstanding balance per statement date.

Friend paid off over £4k per her statement balance. Took some explaining (even with pen and paper!) but she finally 'got' the Halifax rule and rang to cancel her direct debit to stop over £4k being taken, post her payment date she set up her direct debit again but no longer pays off any balance.
Old 26 Jun 19, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
THOR1
Apprentice Imagineer

Way to do is to set it up to take minimum payment and then pay off by internet banking.

That way you never miss a payment and can then pay whatever you want to clear this month and part of next balance as many people do with holiday expenditure.

Then if they still take direct debit it will be relatively minimal and have no impact on main bank account
THOR1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
trampslikeus
Apprentice Imagineer

I go pretty much cashless to US with everything on Clarity card.
Take some low denomination notes for tipping and that's all.
Only downside is a huge bill to come home to
trampslikeus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List