Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Jun 22, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
kenville
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
Charging over £500 a night for a room and not getting housekeeping! 😂
This is Disney's problem and why their strategy of going after "high value" customers will fail. People who are happy to pay £500 a night will be very unhappy with this type of service. They will go once and not go back. Meanwhile Disney are alienating the rest of us who are their core customer base. Even if we stump up that money, we will complain that they are providing much less for much more money. And so we won't return.

It's like their current leadership are not able to think things through. They think they can just put up a price and people will be happy with it. It will be a short-term gain from the pent up demand with a long-term failure baked in.

You lose trust, it's hard to get back.
kenville is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 22, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kenville View Post
This is Disney's problem and why their strategy of going after "high value" customers will fail. People who are happy to pay £500 a night will be very unhappy with this type of service. They will go once and not go back. Meanwhile Disney are alienating the rest of us who are their core customer base. Even if we stump up that money, we will complain that they are providing much less for much more money. And so we won't return.

It's like their current leadership are not able to think things through. They think they can just put up a price and people will be happy with it. It will be a short-term gain from the pent up demand with a long-term failure baked in.

You lose trust, it's hard to get back.
I agree about trust - it’s hard to get back once it’s lost.

Don’t know if it was on this thread or another but someone was in the middle of having a shower when security walked in and opened the door! Unbelievable! I just can’t understand how they think this is acceptable in any way.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 22, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
I have not read all the posts but the impression I get is there is a lot wrong at WDW just now. Charging over £500 a night for a room and not getting housekeeping! 😂

I also notice very little complaints about Universal Parks in comparison. If we go back (and it is possible we will with grandchildren) I would not entertain the Disney Parks just now and stick to Universal only.
I love Universal but if you want to see what greed looks like have a look at what they charge for faspasses on a busy day.
Old 16 Jun 22, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fl-veteran View Post
I love Universal but if you want to see what greed looks like have a look at what they charge for faspasses on a busy day.
I don’t doubt it.

The last time I was in a Disney or Universal park was in Asia (Hong Kong, Singapore and Japan). The difference between these and the US is amazing. So pleasant to walk around, quiet and cheap in comparison. I just wish they were not so far away!
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 22, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Originally Posted by fl-veteran View Post
That’s not greed, it’s straight forward business. They are there to get profits. Same as Disney. They just don’t flower it up by going on about magic and memories.
We always get around it by staying at a Universal hotel and going at quieter times, when the prices aren’t crazy.

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 22, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
That’s not greed, it’s straight forward business. They are there to get profits. Same as Disney. They just don’t flower it up by going on about magic and memories.
We always get around it by staying at a Universal hotel and going at quieter times, when the prices aren’t crazy.

I would argue that introducing something that cuts wait times for those that pay and lengthens them for those that can't / don't (due to lots of people jumping to the front of the queue) is sharp practice.

You're literally selling something non-existent that you've artificially created a need for and that is at the expense of it being worse for others (that are already your customers). I think we've just become so conditioned to that sort of thing that we accept it now. And even if you do accept it, I would argue that charging several hundred dollars each for a single day over and above the price of entry is still greed. The only times it is priced reasonably is on the days you don't need it anyway.

I would love to go when it's quieter but can't and already pay through the nose for the 'privilege' of going in school holidays.

Edited at 03:01 PM.
fl-veteran is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 22, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
That’s not greed, it’s straight forward business.
The two aren't mutually exclusive.

As fl-veteran says, we've just become so conditioned to 'the way business is run' these days.

Disney, in my experience (as a CM and visiting) was never as purely magically run as we might have liked to think(!), BUT they did, historically, show much more obvious concern for the quality of the "Guest" experience. They managed to convey plenty of magic, whilst, still, running a business.

I just hope they don't strip away so much that they can't one day be leaders in customer service again.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 22, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
The two aren't mutually exclusive.

As fl-veteran says, we've just become so conditioned to 'the way business is run' these days.

Disney, in my experience (as a CM and visiting) was never as purely magically run as we might have liked to think(!), BUT they did, historically, show much more obvious concern for the quality of the "Guest" experience. They managed to convey plenty of magic, whilst, still, running a business.

I just hope they don't strip away so much that they can't one day be leaders in customer service again.
This exactly. None of us are under the illusion that Disney ever was a charity that liked to give away magical experiences but they did a better job of hiding the business and putting on “the show”.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 22, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
SleepingBeauty
Imagineer

I’ve lost the urge to go to Disney at least for now. And since I live over here it’s relatively easy to drive down there. The cost of everything, taken into consideration, has become obscene and it’s getting worse. And the standards have slipped!
I’ll go back one day with the family but not this year and probably not next year. Universal, maybe.
SleepingBeauty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 22, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
CuteLioness
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by SleepingBeauty View Post
I’ve lost the urge to go to Disney at least for now. And since I live over here it’s relatively easy to drive down there. The cost of everything, taken into consideration, has become obscene and it’s getting worse. And the standards have slipped!
I’ll go back one day with the family but not this year and probably not next year. Universal, maybe.
Exactly how I’m feeling. One day again, but not yet, especially with them now having renewed Chapek’s contract. Although maybe he will redeem himself in the next three years, who knows…? Universal though, makes sense to go back to. The Annual Passes have already paid for themselves on just one long trip, so this October we’re basically going back for free (obviously there’s still the flights!). No brainer.

International Palms Feb 2014 RPR/AKL/GF Dec 2016/Jan 2017 DLP NBC Oct 2017 GF Feb 2018 Villa Oct 2019 DL Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort Feb 2020 Crowne Plaza/AKL Apr 2022
CuteLioness is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List