Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 1 Jul 22, 06:58 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
Are you sure about the gratuities? Suggested amounts on our cruise in February were more like $15 a day per person. I believe only staying in a concierge cabin makes it higher.
We cruised on The Dream in concierge in January this year, we spent so much on gratuities as there is an expectation to tip the concierge team, on top of your room host and 3 MDR servers - even though we didn't use the concierge services, they were lovely and definitely above and beyond with making sure we had everything we needed, getting to know us etc.

There were 3 concierge hosts on the Dream, plus the bar staff who were also amazing, I'd taken some tins of Quality Street etc. along to give to them all as well which they loved, but it did cost us a small fortune in gratuities.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 22, 07:08 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Also just to add - soft drinks are free from the drinks station on the pool deck and with meals. If you ordered a coke at a bar or from room service you would be charged for it.
Old 1 Jul 22, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
Are you sure about the gratuities? Suggested amounts on our cruise in February were more like $15 a day per person. I believe only staying in a concierge cabin makes it higher.
I was thinking the same - our gratuities last year were £100 for the entire cruise for all three of us, and the suggested amounts haven’t changed since then.

We’re doing 7 nights on the Wish next year and the gratuities guide says that will be around £230, depending on the exchange rate. I realise it helps that there are only 3 of us - maybe the OP is pricing up for a large party in 2 or 3 rooms?

In answer to the question, we chose to add on the photo package and did some shopping, but didn’t spend anything else extra on board.
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 22, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

I called them. I was sent a link from them to this page. Told it will be £588 but looking at it again probably meant dollars. So I suppose it’s cheaper than I thought at £500 according to exchange rate today.

That’s still a lot obviously cos it’s premium brand but it’s then £4500 for 1 week inside room.

Msc are coming in at £2050 and £1900 each cruise for a week with balcony. Obviously have drinks on top and it’s not Disney.

I’ll get a Disney one eventually. Think I just need to book at release date.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 22, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post

I called them. I was sent a link from them to this page. Told it will be £588 but looking at it again probably meant dollars. So I suppose it’s cheaper than I thought at £500 according to exchange rate today.

That’s still a lot obviously cos it’s premium brand but it’s then £4500 for 1 week inside room.

Msc are coming in at £2050 and £1900 each cruise for a week with balcony. Obviously have drinks on top and it’s not Disney.

I get it now, so you’re booking for 7 people? Presumably in multiple rooms?

That price does add up in that case, although I’m afraid the link they sent you seems to be out of date. The current recommendation for gratuities is $13.50 pppn (ie $94.50 per person on a 7 night cruise, so around $660 for 7 guests - about £545).

DCL is very expensive, even after adding drinks etc to other cruise line prices, and we’re definitely going to have to call it a day after our next two DCL cruises and look at cheaper cruise lines. I just love the Disney experience though
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 22, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Elodie View Post
I get it now, so you’re booking for 7 people? Presumably in multiple rooms?

That price does add up in that case, although I’m afraid the link they sent you seems to be out of date. The current recommendation for gratuities is $13.50 pppn (ie $94.50 per person on a 7 night cruise, so around $660 for 7 guests - about £545).

DCL is very expensive, even after adding drinks etc to other cruise line prices, and we’re definitely going to have to call it a day after our next two DCL cruises and look at cheaper cruise lines. I just love the Disney experience though
No 4 people and 7 nights. I couldn’t work it out which is why I called them.
Either way I will go Disney and Royal Caribbean eventually but gotta keep it low right now since we have Disney and Florida booked too.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 22, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

For a 7 night cruise for 4 people, those rates add up to $336 not $588.
Old 2 Jul 22, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Do you add up all of these or is this a diagram of how it is shared out? Bit confusing?

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 22, 07:30 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
Do you add up all of these or is this a diagram of how it is shared out? Bit confusing?
This is showing you how your total is split. So for 1 person you would be paying on a 7 night cruise $28+21+7+28 so a total of $84 per person. For 4 people this makes it $336
Old 8 Jul 22, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitchesmumanddad
VIP Dibber

I am a staunch anti Disney cruiser. Their cruises were ok when the kids were tiny, but boring when they got older. The food on Disney cruises was awful compared to others I’ve been on.

My favourite cruise line is NCL. Ive cruises with them 3 times and getting on another Caribbean cruise on Sunday. They have brilliant offers on at the moment including an open bar which saves an absolute fortune if you have people that like to drink in a cruise.