Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 Oct 21, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I have one for me - never ever been without one in over 55 years and never ever would want to be. Take my microwave or kettle before the dishwasher .
I seem to generate a lot of washing up, also laundry. Microwave I very rarely use strangely but actually that's probably because I cook a lot from scratch. Dave makes porridge in the microwave which has probably offended your true Scottish blood. He does use the real stuff tho. I grew up with Porridge cooked overnight in the oven on very low with a cover over the hob for the cat to sleep on. I suspect it was the only acceptable way to give the cat a heated bedroom. 😂
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 21, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I seem to generate a lot of washing up, also laundry. Microwave I very rarely use strangely but actually that's probably because I cook a lot from scratch. Dave makes porridge in the microwave which has probably offended your true Scottish blood. He does use the real stuff tho. I grew up with Porridge cooked overnight in the oven on very low with a cover over the hob for the cat to sleep on. I suspect it was the only acceptable way to give the cat a heated bedroom. 😂
I make porridge in the microwave which shocks my sister who makes it the old way with a spurtle slowly on her hob. But it is the only thing I use the microwave for (well sometime to reheat soup) - I have never unwed a washing up bowl etc - it goes in the dishwasher or the bin. Life is too short to wash dishes by hand (and I like my hands to look soft and youthful for an old wreck of my age)
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 21, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
You had a DISHWASHER before decimalisation?
What were your parents, a duke and duchess?
It sounds all very Downton Abbey but without a dishwasher
Megaflyer was your dad related to the Earl of Grantham by any chance
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 21, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

I make porridge in the microwave which shocks my sister who makes it the old way with a spurtle slowly on her hob. But it is the only thing I use the microwave for (well sometime to reheat soup) - I have never unwed a washing up bowl etc - it goes in the dishwasher or the bin. Life is too short to wash dishes by hand (and I like my hands to look soft and youthful for an old wreck of my age)
Hands are a terrible giveaway. A very well maintained lady steadied herself on the back of Dave's chair in a restaurant and her hands looked like they belonged to her own grandmother. I fear my shock showed on my face.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 21, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Hands are a terrible giveaway. A very well maintained lady steadied herself on the back of Dave's chair in a restaurant and her hands looked like they belonged to her own grandmother. I fear my shock showed on my face.
LOL - sort of thing I would do, my expressions can tell a whole story !

I look after my hands and face; the rest of me is beyond hope !
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 21, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Libby View Post
I was 9 and my brother 11 on D-Day. We went round our local toy shop pointing out to the owners that 6/- was not the same as 60p. (Nearly all their prices were wrong - I bet they loved us! )

I still have a game of decimal dominoes, like this one

where you have to match the old money to the new.

And I used to love winding my Nan up by translating the prices into old money.
I remember shopping with my dm just after we had switched and she complained to the baker they had increased their prices purely because of decimalisation and were trying to con people. The baker replied he had only made a small increase of 2p to which dm retorted you wouldn’t have tried to increase the price of a loaf by 4.8p last week would you and walked out and never went back.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 21, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

Maybe that is what we had too - I dont recall (an odd shaped coin)
Still have some old silver three penny pieces but they are round and smaller than the old 6p so the odd shaped coin could well be the standard 3p.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 21, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
Hmm, not sure if you call it charnting but definately sing songs recital with spot test following.

Interestingly the school said they need to know them, he does, but they wont/dont teach them!
Just in case you don’t know there is a timestable site for children. My grandson (8 yrs) likes this as there are different ways to learn. He seems to find it easier using all the different steps rather than just by reading and remembering. He likes winning the medals.

timestables/2-times-table.html
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 21, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

I just happen to have an old 3d coin. Here it is next to a new 5p for comparison.

Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 21, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I remember 1969 going to the Regent Palace Hotel Bournemouth with parents and brother on a Coach Trip. (40 "oldies" singing Vera Lynn and Roll out the Barrel for 10 hours! 😂 )

I'd have been 13 and sneaked in the bar to put sixpence in the one armed pull down bandit. TIC TAC TOE! £2 in sixpences! Made a right racket, whoosh, dropping on tartan carpet.

Grown ups seeing it saying " ooh shouldn't be on that you know" Luckily brother saw me ran and got dad who quickly put the huge pile of tanners in the pocket of his Cordurouys (dad's summer wear!).

We got a few extra ice creams but mostly remember dad buying Watneys Red Barrells and Cherry B's in sixpences the rest of the week! 😂
salmim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List