Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 Aug 21, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
LDISNEYFOX
Imagineer

Planning a Solo Trip - Complete Novice

Hi.

Been a member for a while, but have never discussed solo travelling.

Looking to do a solo trip and a cruise and wonder is there an area on the Dibb where single travellers can get advice etc.

Also in the past there has been The Dibb group cruises etc and wonder if anything is being planned for the future.

Please point me in the right direction if anyone has any guidance.

2012 WDW Mom's Panel Search Finalist
Sheraton Safari Jan 05 & Feb 08
Disney Port Orleans Nov 06, Jan 10, May 11, June 12, Oct 13, July 15, Aug 15, Nov 15, Feb 16, Aug 16 and Dec 17
LDISNEYFOX is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 21, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
scottishgirl1
VIP Dibber

Not sure about on here but there is a Facebook group called Disney World Solo Travellers which I have enjoyed following along. I havent seen anything much on it from international travellers as yet but then again who is actually able to get there yet!
scottishgirl1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 21, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
I’ve done a few solo trips - including a cruise, so happy to offer any advice you need 😊
I’ve found a smile and a kindle are all you need - a smile starts conversations with most people and a kindle helps avoid feeling awkward when stopping for coffee or a meal.
I’ve had some great solo trips 😊

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 21, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

I only travel solo now, so happy to answer any questions too. The parks are great solo. No one notices you're by yourself and you can do whatever you want instead of having to please everybody.

Although I looked at doing a solo cruise but couldn't justify it since it was basically the same price for one person compared to two. I'm used to that with hotel rates but it felt cheeky when a cruise is all inclusive. So no advice on that side!
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 21, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
LDISNEYFOX
Imagineer

Thank you.
Will check it out.

Disney Port Orleans Nov 06, Jan 10, May 11, June 12, Oct 13, July 15, Aug 15, Nov 15, Feb 16, Aug 16 and Dec 17
LDISNEYFOX is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 21, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
LDISNEYFOX
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Melanie R View Post
I’ve done a few solo trips - including a cruise, so happy to offer any advice you need 😊
I’ve found a smile and a kindle are all you need - a smile starts conversations with most people and a kindle helps avoid feeling awkward when stopping for coffee or a meal.
I’ve had some great solo trips 😊
Thank you for that. Just thinking of 2023. Just need to pick up the courage to do it.

I have done a disney cruise before with my grown up children and noticed in the Navigator that they do Singles meet ups. Did you ever do any of those? Also did they sit you with other solo travellers at dinner?

Old 21 Aug 21, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Originally Posted by LDISNEYFOX View Post
Thank you for that. Just thinking of 2023. Just need to pick up the courage to do it.

I have done a disney cruise before with my grown up children and noticed in the Navigator that they do Singles meet ups. Did you ever do any of those? Also did they sit you with other solo travellers at dinner?
I didn’t do any single meet-ups, but I had the choice every evening to sit with others or solo (I was on a Princess cruise so had anytime dining option)
I chose to dine solo, but most nights got chatting to people on surrounding tables - I found Americans in particular thought solo travelling was very brave (?! ) and they wanted to hear all about my experience 😊
I understand with fixed time dining they try to “match up”people so they wouldn’t seat a single traveller with a family party etc., so would likely seat you with other solo travellers if they could.
I did a trip report (Glaciers & Glowtinis) if you want to see what it was like 😊

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 21, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

I'd quite happily do solo trips and have done in the past to Spain etc. But my partner wouldn't be too happy going on my own now. 😂😂😂
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 21, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
LDISNEYFOX
Imagineer

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
I only travel solo now, so happy to answer any questions too. The parks are great solo. No one notices you're by yourself and you can do whatever you want instead of having to please everybody.

Although I looked at doing a solo cruise but couldn't justify it since it was basically the same price for one person compared to two. I'm used to that with hotel rates but it felt cheeky when a cruise is all inclusive. So no advice on that side!
Thank you.

I think the parks would be very different without my family but it’s something I really want to try. A cruise however scares me! Also as you say the price is steep as if you’re paying for 2 people. Will have to have a think.

Old 21 Aug 21, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
LDISNEYFOX
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Melanie R View Post
I didn’t do any single meet-ups, but I had the choice every evening to sit with others or solo (I was on a Princess cruise so had anytime dining option)
I chose to dine solo, but most nights got chatting to people on surrounding tables - I found Americans in particular thought solo travelling was very brave (?! ) and they wanted to hear all about my experience 😊
I understand with fixed time dining they try to “match up”people so they wouldn’t seat a single traveller with a family party etc., so would likely seat you with other solo travellers if they could.
I did a trip report (Glaciers & Glowtinis) if you want to see what it was like 😊
Thank you. I will check out your trip report !